FUT 10 years ago, need further help

Hi

I am late 40s and had a HT in 2012 with really good results. My crown has gradually thinned since then and I would like to try something to help that.

I was considering FUE but then read that maybe SMP would be a better alternative, what is the recommended advice on this please?

Thanks for any help

Barry

Not sure if SMP would be a good alternative to fill in the crown. It may be good if you already had work done there and want to add density to a procedure. Since you already have a FUT scar, you could go for FUT again. There are some great FUE doctors though, usually in Europe, like Freitas.

• Administrators

I would not recommend SMP unless you plan on buzzing your head. I think FUE combined with SMP is a better idea. You could use the smp to reduce the scalp contrast. But you need hair to cover the scalp to help the illusion, otherwise it will look weird and obvious.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 5/13/2022 at 3:34 PM, Barry1108 said:

Hi

I am late 40s and had a HT in 2012 with really good results. My crown has gradually thinned since then and I would like to try something to help that.

I was considering FUE but then read that maybe SMP would be a better alternative, what is the recommended advice on this please?

Thanks for any help

Barry

What is the present state of your transplanted hair compared to 2013 ? Are all of them still there or few fallen off ?

On 5/13/2022 at 3:34 PM, Barry1108 said:

Hi

Thanks for any help

Barry

Could you share some scalp pictures for us to see what is the present condition of your scalp? We can suggest accordingly thereafter.

• Like 2

Please upload pictures.

In my opinion.. SMP is good only if your donor isn't suitable for HT, but you'll have to shave your head every 2-3 days so it won't look funny.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

I agree that SMP doesn't seem to be something that would be very useful for you, and a followup hair transplant would likely be the way to go. As a general rule, followup hair transplants are almost always necessary, so it's great that you've been able to go this many years since your first successful one before needing a second pass. Not to mention, the crown is notorious for needing some extra attention, so it makes sense that that's the area you're needing addressed.

If you're going to get a 2nd transplant, there are benefits to both FUE and strip. FUE has greatly improved in the past decade, and I think it would be worth considering, particularly because they can use FUE to insert grafts into your existing strip scar to make it even less noticeable. That would probably be the route I'd go. However, since you already have the strip scar, another strip procedure would also likely be a great option - and just like FUE, those procedures have improved a ton in the past 10 years as well. Some surgeons use a technique called Trichophytic closure in which they close the strip in such a way that the hair follicles grow through the scar tissue, which can help minimize the appearance of the scar. Either way, a followup procedure seems like the best bet. 

Posting pictures here will help some of the users be able to give you more specific feedback, but it seems like you'd also be well served by starting to explore different surgeons and getting some consultations with your top choices. You'll then be able to compare and contrast their different recommendations and start formulating a game plan for your 2nd procedure. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56