Which hair transplant surgeons have stood the test of time in terms of popularity?

I came across this forum in 2016 which eventually led me to booking my first hair transplant (FUE) in December 2017 to address my frontal third, knowing that I would also need a second hair transplant (also planned for FUE) at some point (in 5 or so years) to address the mid-scalp and crown.

Overall my first hair transplant had a decent outcome and I was satisfied with the result, however it could have been improved upon. So therefore I’m looking to undergo a second procedure with a different surgeon – and this has brought me back to this forum 5 years after my first transplant to do my research on surgeons for my second transplant.

I’ve been somewhat surprised to see how surgeons who were popular 5 years ago on these forums are no longer as popular (including the surgeon who I ultimately chose for my first hair transplant, who is even no longer a recommend surgeon by this site). During my research for my first hair transplant the names being thrown around as the best were Lorenzo, Erdogan, Rahal, H&W, Diep. Now 5 years later I’m seeing more and more mentions of names like Eugenix, Couto, Ferriera, de Freitas.

The two names that have consistently come up as the best both 5 years ago and now have been Bisanga and Konior. Are there any other hair transplant surgeons that have consistently remained popular?

What part of the Country are you in? Is traveling an issue?

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

15 minutes ago, Fue3361 said:

If I was in your shoes, I’d never think twice and go with H&W

10 minutes ago, Egy said:

Even for me, H&W at eyes closed.

That is very interesting - can you both please elaborate further as to the recommendation on H&W? Especially given I shared very little information about my personal journey so curious to understand H&W being mentioned. Thank you!

43 minutes ago, fullheadofhair said:

That is very interesting - can you both please elaborate further as to the recommendation on H&W? Especially given I shared very little information about my personal journey so curious to understand H&W being mentioned. Thank you!

I consider them among the top surgeons in the world in hair transplantation, I don't remember ever seeing a failed transplant performed in their clinic (someone will surely be there, it's just that I have never seen them),furthermore  I have seen in person a relative of mine who had her procedure done at their clinic in Vancouver.

They stand the test of time.  Have forever been considered one of the best.  Tons Of amazing results, hard to find anyone complain about them as well.

Also a fun thing to think about, but I’m relatively sure Elon Musk had his HT with them; and he can afford anyone in the world.  So if they’re good enough for him…

Check out my journey here:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2022 at 4:55 PM, Fue3361 said:

but I’m relatively sure Elon Musk had his HT with them

I wonder how you are so sure? :) His HT has been a question for years, how much HT's he had (2 or 3), what type, if he is on meds, etc. As far as I could find, he never spoke publicly about it. Only source I could find that made sense was a HT professional discussing it publicly and making an educated guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbert said:

I wonder how you are so sure? :) His HT has been a question for years, how much HT's he had (2 or 3), what type, if he is on meds, etc. As far as I could find, he never spoke publicly about it. Only source I could find that made sense was a HT professional discussing it publicly and making an educated guess.

A lot of people thought it was H&W because of the way the FUT scar went so high above the ears. I know there's a more technical term but basically that long a line was their trademark for quite a while. 

Also having that much money and being able to choose "The Best", probably meant he went to them because of even their stellar reputation from way back when. 

They're still probably above and beyond one of the few that have stood the test of time and arguably a part of that is being able to charge so much because of that reputation and retaining the best technicians possible with good training/renumeration. 

On 5/12/2022 at 5:33 AM, fullheadofhair said:

I came across this forum in 2016 which eventually led me to booking my first hair transplant (FUE) in December 2017 to address my frontal third, knowing that I would also need a second hair transplant (also planned for FUE) at some point (in 5 or so years) to address the mid-scalp and crown.

Overall my first hair transplant had a decent outcome and I was satisfied with the result, however it could have been improved upon. So therefore I’m looking to undergo a second procedure with a different surgeon – and this has brought me back to this forum 5 years after my first transplant to do my research on surgeons for my second transplant.

I’ve been somewhat surprised to see how surgeons who were popular 5 years ago on these forums are no longer as popular (including the surgeon who I ultimately chose for my first hair transplant, who is even no longer a recommend surgeon by this site). During my research for my first hair transplant the names being thrown around as the best were Lorenzo, Erdogan, Rahal, H&W, Diep. Now 5 years later I’m seeing more and more mentions of names like Eugenix, Couto, Ferriera, de Freitas.

The two names that have consistently come up as the best both 5 years ago and now have been Bisanga and Konior. Are there any other hair transplant surgeons that have consistently remained popular?

Konior and Bisanga are top notch. Hasson and wong have stuck around as a great option in North America as well, especially for FUT. However, their involvement in surgery with fue is very limited- this may bother some. IMO Cooley is a great surgeon but doesn’t have a lot of marketing going on.

Couto and de Freitas are excellent surgeons as well. Very affordable comparing to North American doctors.

In 2016 Erdogan and Lorenzo were the buzz. They are both straight up garbage hair mills now that do 4-10 patients per day. Asmed actually got booted from here and koray even threatened to sue patients that posted their bad results. Lorenzo has bad donor management and I have seen cases in person where patients are left unhappy with uneven, depleted donors.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Konior and Bisanga are top notch. Hasson and wong have stuck around as a great option in North America as well, especially for FUT. However, their involvement in surgery with fue is very limited- this may bother some. IMO Cooley is a great surgeon but doesn’t have a lot of marketing going on.

Couto and de Freitas are excellent surgeons as well. Very affordable comparing to North American doctors.

In 2016 Erdogan and Lorenzo were the buzz. They are both straight up garbage hair mills now that do 4-10 patients per day. Asmed actually got booted from here and koray even threatened to sue patients that posted their bad results. Lorenzo has bad donor management and I have seen cases in person where patients are left unhappy with uneven, depleted donors.

Yep, this is accurate. 

To add, Rassman was fairly popular from around a decade or so ago, but not sure if he's still operating -- someone else may have taken over the clinic. I also think H&W are mostly, if not exclusively, FUE now, no? 

Haven't seen much of Rahal results lately, who posts very useful information here, but that might be due to lockdown and less USA travelers to Canada. Diep is very controversial nowadays with some folks adoring him and others despising.  

Edited by Z--

21 hours ago, Z-- said:

Yep, this is accurate. 

To add, Rassman was fairly popular from around a decade or so ago, but not sure if he's still operating -- someone else may have taken over the clinic. I also think H&W are mostly, if not exclusively, FUE now, no? 

Haven't seen much of Rahal results lately, who posts very useful information here, but that might be due to lockdown and less USA travelers to Canada. Diep is very controversial nowadays with some folks adoring him and others despising.  

Rassman is retired. He is one of the pioneers of hair transplants in the US who has trained quite a few big names in the industry (Shapiro, Mohebi, Bernstein etc...). He attends conferences and he still answers some questions on Tressless  reddit and Real Self. 

I think Dr. Jae Pak has taken over Dr. Rassman's practice. 

Dr. John Diep is very solid. He is a good choice but you can find the same quality ( if not better)  for half the price in Europe with Freitas,  Pinto, Ximena etc... 

Diep actually did Melvin's 2nd and 3rd hair transplant and he gave him a much better result than Behnam on the first one... 

Also there was another guy whose username was baldlivesmatter. He had a failed hair transplant by Dr. James Harris in Denver (the doc who did Kevin Mann's hair tranplant) but then this wame guy went to Dr. Diep for a repair and got a great result. 

Diep is sometimes criticized for his donor area management. And just like any other doctor, he has some subpar cases although statistically minimal. 

4 hours ago, lack of bludflow said:

Rassman is retired. He is one of the pioneers of hair transplants in the US who has trained quite a few big names in the industry (Shapiro, Mohebi, Bernstein etc...). He attends conferences and he still answers some questions on Tressless  reddit and Real Self. 

I think Dr. Jae Pak has taken over Dr. Rassman's practice. 

Dr. John Diep is very solid. He is a good choice but you can find the same quality ( if not better)  for half the price in Europe with Freitas,  Pinto, Ximena etc... 

Diep actually did Melvin's 2nd and 3rd hair transplant and he gave him a much better result than Behnam on the first one... 

Also there was another guy whose username was baldlivesmatter. He had a failed hair transplant by Dr. James Harris in Denver (the doc who did Kevin Mann's hair tranplant) but then this wame guy went to Dr. Diep for a repair and got a great result. 

Diep is sometimes criticized for his donor area management. And just like any other doctor, he has some subpar cases although statistically minimal. 

I have no idea if Rassman is retired. There seem to be reports that he's retired but I spoke to him on the phone a few months ago and he said he wasn't retired. But maybe he sold his practice?

But yeah, to answer the question - Hasson and Wong. Konior too probably but I haven't been around all that long to know for sure

On 5/25/2022 at 6:53 PM, 5BetaReductase said:

I don't know if H&Ws involvement with FUE is very limited... They've been doing FUE for longer than some doctors have been doing HTs. They've probably been doing FUE for nearing a decade at this point. And FUE/FUT implantation is more or less the same since FUE is just the extraction method.

34 minutes ago, deeznuts said:

I don't know if H&Ws involvement with FUE is very limited... They've been doing FUE for longer than some doctors have been doing HTs. They've probably been doing FUE for nearing a decade at this point. And FUE/FUT implantation is more or less the same since FUE is just the extraction method.

I’m talking about doctor involvement during surgery. Read some of the latest patient posted experiences. The doctors just do incisions. Not talking down about their techs cuz I’m sure they are very skilled but for some patients having doctor involvement is important.

H&w started doing fue around 2016 with some of their bigger sessions starting around 2017.