Since hairloss is related to DHT why you can start lose your hair when yours 40?

Hi guys,

As far as I understand, MPB is related to testosterone which transfered into DHT. My question is, when your 40 your testosterone decrease compared when your 20s, so how come people with no hairloss can starts shedding when they are 35-45?

• Like 1

This is complicated.  Typically a hereditary condition that can come from both sides.  It can even skip generations.  Some people thin early and rapidly, and others are late thinners. No rhyme or reason. Yes, what drives guys is testosterone which is broken down to DHT - which we know is an irritant to the follicle.  

Big difference between shedding and hair loss.  Shedding is normal.  100 hair a day is considered normal.  This will happen randomly to all the hair in your head.  The follicle goes into a resting phase for 3-4 months.  That hair will return.  Hair loss is different.

Under a bright light look at the hair in your temporal areas.  Notice each strand.  Some thick, some finer.  Some are so thin you can't hardly see them.  We refer to this process as miniaturization.  Eventually the hair dissipates and disappears.  Once gone, it will not return.  

Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention?

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators

DHT has accumulative effects. You’ve been losing hair since 20-30, but it may not be visible until 40. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, LaserCaps said:

This is complicated.  Typically a hereditary condition that can come from both sides.  It can even skip generations.  Some people thin early and rapidly, and others are late thinners. No rhyme or reason. Yes, what drives guys is testosterone which is broken down to DHT - which we know is an irritant to the follicle.  

Big difference between shedding and hair loss.  Shedding is normal.  100 hair a day is considered normal.  This will happen randomly to all the hair in your head.  The follicle goes into a resting phase for 3-4 months.  That hair will return.  Hair loss is different.

Under a bright light look at the hair in your temporal areas.  Notice each strand.  Some thick, some finer.  Some are so thin you can't hardly see them.  We refer to this process as miniaturization.  Eventually the hair dissipates and disappears.  Once gone, it will not return.  

Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention?

Thanks for the reply! I am still very young and in completely different story, I was just curious if there's an age where the hairloss may stop by itself at some age, let's say 40 or at least slow down (Speaking on those who started to lose theirs hair at an early age and haven't progressed to Norwood 7 by 35 for example.

DHT sensitivity is what makes us lose hair. Say a guy who's in their early 20s is genetically disposed to a Norwood 7. Somehow with Finasteride/Dutasteride and their native DHT hair resistance they manage to block enough/most hair loss but then get to 40 and for whatever reason decided to stop. That DHT is now free to go and attack the hair follicles and although it may have taken longer whilst medication was there. There's nothing bow stopping it from being almost as destructive and wrecking the follicles. 

That's why it's recommended to stay on Finasteride indefinitely until you decided you no longer wanted to keel the hair. 

I think it might marginally slow down the older you are, but not enough to offset the hair loss. 

47 minutes ago, danielx111 said:

Thanks for the reply! I am still very young and in completely different story, I was just curious if there's an age where the hairloss may stop by itself at some age, let's say 40 or at least slow down (Speaking on those who started to lose theirs hair at an early age and haven't progressed to Norwood 7 by 35 for example.

It may slow down for some and not for others.  We get to see people of all ages - still experiencing hair loss.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Like every organ in your body, as you age the organs become less resilient and all the damage they took on for years in youth start to show up.

Your hair follicles in youth could sustain a lot of damage from DHT and regenerate itself. Over time that adds up, they get older and less capable of taking the damage they could in younger years. This is why even though the androgens are less in numbers, they still have the same effect and hairloss continues.

Kids can heal their bones at an exponential speed, then it gets a little worse in teens then in twenties then in thirties even worse. In fourties and afterwards, what took days or weeks to heal takes years to heal. That’s how massive the difference is. 

Whatever Norwood your genes are destined to, it’s going to happen whether at 30 or 80. You can delay the process with drugs but it’s a fight with genes and unless you deactivate those genes (hopefully one day) they will win. 

• Like 1