Dr. Konior - ~2,000 graft FUE, Asian Male

sbguy01

• 2 weeks later...

1 Month Update

Well, I was not one of the lucky ones who avoided the Ugly Duckling phase.  I'm right in it!  But based on everything I've learned, this is just part of the journey and a rite of passage to the Land of New Hair. 

I think I've shed 80% of the transplanted hair.  My donor area feels completely normal.  My recipient area is only a little numb, and getting better every day.  The redness is decreasing day by day as well. 

I've been trimming the top and sides with a #2 guard.

image.thumb.png.75e1c389ed5734ed22124a17eb51e613.png

image.thumb.png.4e0080ad4cf92398441dd04e8762db0c.png

• Like 2

Congrats man -- it's growing in nicely! I got my Konior apointment within ~3 months. Mind if I ask whether you contemplated FUT, and if not, what led you toward FUE

3 hours ago, Z-- said:

Congrats man -- it's growing in nicely! I got my Konior apointment within ~3 months. Mind if I ask whether you contemplated FUT, and if not, what led you toward FUE

Thanks.  After looking at my pictures Dr. K recommended FUE, which I agree.  He said that my coarse and straight hair would not hide the FUT scar well, unless I grow it much longer.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay guys.  Been having too much fun this summer.  There wasn't much to show until about 3.5 months.  The jump from month 3 to 4 1/2 month was quite exponential.  I'm feeling growth and sprouts every day.  

So while I'm not feeling like a new man yet, like @Bradley787 who is 1 month ahead of me.  I'm definitely feeling like feeling like a new man.  I think Bradley787 uses minox and/or finas.  I've never used any of those products and decided to go O'naturale post-op.  That might explain the difference in growth rate, density, etc.  I'm probably about 2 months way from "feeling and looking like a new man"

Sometimes, I wish I did use hair meds.  Then again, I was in the sun, water, traveling, etc over the summer, and it would've been a pain in the ass the keep up with the meds.  

image.thumb.png.b6b0610666f512d6c63910003055734e.png

image.thumb.png.9aacb95317a8471e6962df830e239bd8.png

image.thumb.png.8e08942df3dbbec857b0095922014755.png

image.thumb.png.609082f09a0c55c5d3ed30eb0a4afbcf.png

Edited by sbguy01

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So... what's a journey without some twist and turns. 

I shared my recent photos with Dr.K.  After reviewing his own surgery photos, he felt that he underestimated my density requirement and offered me an 800-1000 graft density booster on the house!  He quickly moved his schedule around and I'm set to see him again in mid-November for a booster session.  What a guy!  A great surgeon and a gentleman. 

Unfortunately, I'll have to buzz off my hair and start all over again.  Oh well, no pain no gain.  

I asked a bunch of questions including how the 2nd session at the 7 month mark might impact the health of the previous grafts and he said it should not be a problem.  The graft spacing from the 1st session allows him to safely insert the 2nd grafts.  Shock loss to the existing grafts, if any, will be temporary.  Since this session is free, I can only believe this is the truth. 

Here are my 6 month photos. I think density has doubled from the 4.5 month mark.  I am excited about the potential.  My front and mid-scalp hasn't seen this much hair over 20 years.  But too low of density will just make me look balding, which is probably worst than just bald 🙂

image.thumb.png.14c528e2e8eb517f54ced347d3b04bc5.png

image.thumb.png.954259d0543242d8108d8b60acc7a568.png

• Like 4

Unlike you pros, this is my first HT.  I have no idea how many grafts I need for my situation.  I just relied on the good doctor's opinion.  I guess he was too hopeful as well, hence the free touch up.  He did say that density is not just graft density, but also graft placement, caliber of hair, etc.  In the final analysis, he felt that I needed more and better to do it sooner rather than later.   

Edited by sbguy01

I think what we dont see in the photos is the surface area. Some people have smaller/curved/round shape skulls so its easier to judge it off the photos as needing more/less.

Nonetheless, you are getting another opinion from the same surgeon (who is world class) to work on you again to add more (that you dont need to pay for). So on top of the clinical care of reporting back in you get better results in the end. I can only see this as a plus. Yes it sucks you have to shave it down, but at least you get to have more hair implanted in the end, at no additional cost. an extra 6 months is nothing compared to a 'life time' result.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

I'm pleased he offered you a 1000 graft booster. I echo the above posters with a touch of surprise that he originally deemed 2000 grafts enough - Dr. K is the best in the business however and this definitely seems like an outlier situation. That said, it's a testament to his willingness to give the best patient outcome that he's offered to re-fill the area. If I was his patient that would make me feel very supported.

• Like 1

Follow my second hair transplant journey below

Caucasian - 4613 Grafts - Eugenix, Dr. Arika Bansal

This shows the level of integrity, accountability and professionalism that you get with Dr Konior. 

He didn't drag this on for the full 12 months, blame the patient, etc. 

He immediately recognised his mistake and has now offered a great solution.

Thanks for all the kind words.  Yes, there's no question that Dr. K is a man of integrity, accountability and above all else patient satisfaction.  He even scheduled staff on Saturday because he couldn't fit me in during the week I was available.

I look forward to being a walking billboard for his work after all my new hair matures. 

• Haha 1