Fleming/Meyer Flap Repair Questions (and story)

Hello, in 1989 I saw an ad in the Daily Variety entertainment magazine for the 'World Famous Fleming/Meyer Flap."  I was 29 at the time and I was really losing my hair and it bothered me tremendously.  So I paid Dr. Richard Fleming's $75 consolation fee and saw him.  He said I was a good candidate.  I was never informed about nerve damage, that I would never be able to feel most of the top of my head.  Fleming never told me that he would not be able completely close the wound on the back of my head, but for an additional $1,200 he could reduce the wound size 75%.  WTF?!  Fleming said for the best results I first needed a scalp reduction, which I had done on Halloween, the irony.  After six weeks I went in for my flap surgery.  Fleming was in the office but sick.  His female assistant told me "he's probably drunk."  I had to reschedule.  I had the operation on January 2, and it was full blown operation, which required an anesthesiologist.  When I took off the bandages the hair line was wayyy to low I really looked freaky.  So I went in for a third surgery this time to raise my unnatural hairline higher, something that Fleming did not want to do, but did it for an additional $1,700.  I had this procedure done at the same time as reducing the large wound he left at the back of my head.  I was very unhappy with the final results.  A good buddy and I went out for dinner and he said I looked like Frankenstein.  I went back to Fleming and asked what can be done about my very unnatural hairline.  He said for an additional $5,000 he could add 500 micro grafts.  No way would I allow Fleming to touch me again. I was done with him.  So my questions to the group are:  is it possible to have general anesthesia surgery to remove my flap, and the hair on the flap added to my scalp by the latest technique?  What would you suggest?  Thank you for reading and for your advice, much appreciated.  Here are my pics.

20220405_130452.jpg

20220405_130308.jpg

20220405_130213.jpg

20220405_130217.jpg

20220405_130620.jpg

Wow fascinating story, and in a way I was reminded of some of @Gatsbystory.. You do have some options open to you in regards to a Dr/Clinic which could really improve your current situation. Check out Dr Bisanga, Dr Mwamba, @DrTBarghouthi (Vertex), Eugenix + Dr Feriduni. Consult with all of these and get a better idea of what can be achieved. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Donald Trump procedure. Sorry you had to experience this. 

Just goes to show all of us hair restoration patients are held hostage to the contemporary technology of the time. Perhaps 32 years ago in 1989 it really did make sense and seem state-of-the-art to get a Fleming/Meyer Flap.

You definitely need to see an elite repair doctor for this. Bisanga, Mwamba, Feriduni, Cooley, etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

A good buddy would never say you looked like “Frankenstein” hopefully this person’s no longer in your life. Now, as for repair. It’s difficult given your scarring, but I do believe there may be some good surgeons out there who can help. Where do you live? I can give you some suggestions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

17 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

A good buddy would never say you looked like “Frankenstein” hopefully this person’s no longer in your life. Now, as for repair. It’s difficult given your scarring, but I do believe there may be some good surgeons out there who can help. Where do you live? I can give you some suggestions. 

Hi, I live in Los Angeles. Thanks so much for your advice : ) 

1 hour ago, J.A.C said:

Wow fascinating story, and in a way I was reminded of some of @Gatsbystory.. You do have some options open to you in regards to a Dr/Clinic which could really improve your current situation. Check out Dr Bisanga, Dr Mwamba, @DrTBarghouthi (Vertex), Eugenix + Dr Feriduni. Consult with all of these and get a better idea of what can be achieved. 

Thank you very much, I'll check them out : )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J.A.C said:

Thank you so much for your advice : ) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Honestly, i think it depends on your relationship with the other person and how it's maybe intentioned. If it was done in a malicious manner, then fair enough that's an idiot to cut but somebody you have a really good relationship with, it's probably a bit more brutally honest than we might want but not necessarily in a malicious way. 

That said, i think OPs story is really a ride and throwback to how far things maybe have come. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Petedrew said:

Hi, I live in Los Angeles. Thanks so much for your advice : ) 

Let me connect you with Dr. Mohebi, I also live in Los Angeles. Feel free to pm me for more information. I think I have a few surgeons that can help you get fixed. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 minute ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Let me connect you with Dr. Mohebi, I also live in Los Angeles. Feel free to pm me for more information. I think I have a few surgeons that can help you get fixed. 

Thanks sooooo much Melvin.  I really appreciate you bro : ).

• Like 1

Take a look at Dr Konior. He does fantastic repair work. Here's one example of a flap repair but there's numerous cases to review on this forum.

Raymond Konior, MD | Chicago Hair Institute | 3,685 Graft Hairline Repair of Frontal Flap

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/56063-raymond-konior-md-chicago-hair-institute-3685-graft-hairline-repair-of-frontal-flap/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

2 hours ago, BDK081522 said:

Take a look at Dr Konior. He does fantastic repair work. Here's one example of a flap repair but there's numerous cases to review on this forum.

Raymond Konior, MD | Chicago Hair Institute | 3,685 Graft Hairline Repair of Frontal Flap

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/56063-raymond-konior-md-chicago-hair-institute-3685-graft-hairline-repair-of-frontal-flap/

Thanks you, much appreciated friend : )

• Valued Contributor

As hard as this is, know that you are far from alone today. Scalp reductions, flaps and punch graft plug hair transplants were the only options to grow your own hair again in the 80's. I too fell for two punch graft surgeries in 1985 when I was just 18 I'm ashamed to say. The sad thing is that I didn't really need anything done at the time looking back and I went on to wear a hair piece for 25 years, mainly to hide the scars more than the hair loss in many ways. After researching for years I finally had my repair and transplant ten weeks ago at Eugenix. I was also a Norwood 7 with very poor scalp donor hair. You have come to the right place with this forum and by presenting your situation in consultation with the recommended doctors and by doing your research you can correct the damage and improve your situation dramatically. Wishing you all the best and feel free to reach out to me if you like. All the best!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Petedrew said:

Hello, in 1989 I saw an ad in the Daily Variety entertainment magazine for the 'World Famous Fleming/Meyer Flap."  I was 29 at the time and I was really losing my hair and it bothered me tremendously.  So I paid Dr. Richard Fleming's $75 consolation fee and saw him.  He said I was a good candidate.  I was never informed about nerve damage, that I would never be able to feel most of the top of my head.  Fleming never told me that he would not be able completely close the wound on the back of my head, but for an additional $1,200 he could reduce the wound size 75%.  WTF?!  Fleming said for the best results I first needed a scalp reduction, which I had done on Halloween, the irony.  After six weeks I went in for my flap surgery.  Fleming was in the office but sick.  His female assistant told me "he's probably drunk."  I had to reschedule.  I had the operation on January 2, and it was full blown operation, which required an anesthesiologist.  When I took off the bandages the hair line was wayyy to low I really looked freaky.  So I went in for a third surgery this time to raise my unnatural hairline higher, something that Fleming did not want to do, but did it for an additional $1,700.  I had this procedure done at the same time as reducing the large wound he left at the back of my head.  I was very unhappy with the final results.  A good buddy and I went out for dinner and he said I looked like Frankenstein.  I went back to Fleming and asked what can be done about my very unnatural hairline.  He said for an additional $5,000 he could add 500 micro grafts.  No way would I allow Fleming to touch me again. I was done with him.  So my questions to the group are:  is it possible to have general anesthesia surgery to remove my flap, and the hair on the flap added to my scalp by the latest technique?  What would you suggest?  Thank you for reading and for your advice, much appreciated.  Here are my pics.

20220405_130452.jpg

20220405_130308.jpg

20220405_130213.jpg

20220405_130217.jpg

20220405_130620.jpg

We have repaired similar cases in the past. We shall inbox you such examples.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing your experience here. Your case is possible to repair but would require a more thorough consultation and examination to assess the possibilities. 

• Like 2

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

13 hours ago, Gatsby said:

As hard as this is, know that you are far from alone today. Scalp reductions, flaps and punch graft plug hair transplants were the only options to grow your own hair again in the 80's. I too fell for two punch graft surgeries in 1985 when I was just 18 I'm ashamed to say. The sad thing is that I didn't really need anything done at the time looking back and I went on to wear a hair piece for 25 years, mainly to hide the scars more than the hair loss in many ways. After researching for years I finally had my repair and transplant ten weeks ago at Eugenix. I was also a Norwood 7 with very poor scalp donor hair. You have come to the right place with this forum and by presenting your situation in consultation with the recommended doctors and by doing your research you can correct the damage and improve your situation dramatically. Wishing you all the best and feel free to reach out to me if you like. All the best!

Thank you very much for your excellent advice.  You and I had our surgeries right in the prime of our working careers.  Everybody I met at work and vendors etc knew I had freaky hair surgery.  I hated having to meet new people.  It was awful.  I'm retired now and perhaps the best thing about being retired is I no longer have to have people stare at my head.  Thank you for sharing your story and for your encouragement 👍♥️

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Thank you for sharing your experience here. Your case is possible to repair but would require a more thorough consultation and examination to assess the possibilities. 

Thank you Dr. for your encouraging words, much appreciated  : )

• Moderators
On 4/5/2022 at 4:48 PM, Petedrew said:

So my questions to the group are:  is it possible to have general anesthesia surgery to remove my flap, and the hair on the flap added to my scalp by the latest technique?  What would you suggest?

It depends on how much donor hair you still have left on the sides and back and if you have a lot of beard or chest hair. If you do have some decent donor available and if you have some beard hair then I think your best option would be to add a small amount of single hair grafts in front of the hairline to cover the scar. Then mix beard and scalp grafts to the midscalp behind the flap and going as far back as you can towards the crown. If the flap hair is still very thick then you can also look into FUEing out a few grafts from that and use those to cover more area.

I know what you mean about looking like Frankenstein. I used to say that about myself. I didn't have a fleming-meyer flap, but I did have 5 scalp reductions and multiple FUT strip scars starting back in 1989, same year as you.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thanks bro for your excellent advice, much appreciated. Both you and both know the pain and agony of 1989 hair replacement surgery technology.  Glad I'm on this site.  I wish it was around back in the day  ; )

i don't have much advice to give just wanted to say wow and sorry you went through this. I did a quick google search and see that that this guy is still offering this technique  and in that video he states that hair transplants these days don't look natural compared to his technique. I just feel like there should be some governing board that stops him from doing something like this. I'm in a different health field and we have to keep up with up to date procedures and if something is not the "standard of care" then we just dont do it anymore. Best of luck to you

Edited by Melvin- Moderator
Removed link
  • Thanks 1

@PetedrewYou came to the right place for advice. Looking forward to hearing what repair options you have and, if you're willing to share it, seeing your journey back to a healthy and full scalp.

That surgical procedure is a good example of just how far this industry has come. 

Edited by kirkland
  • Like 1