Advice please, fresh over from r/tressless

TG92

I’ve reached the 6 month stage on treatment (fin, min and dermarolling), I’d like your thoughts on my progress so far, if I’m likely to see more and how many grafts I’d need for the hairline. Thanks! 191316EB-4417-4CDC-A8EE-CA40EDC98729.thumb.jpeg.2b05a6a7d934cd9de98e6d77fd017592.jpeg3452C5AA-9E40-4CB9-8E1F-A99189D65D97.thumb.jpeg.22ecd31cc3ebb2c66a1a83fd6e834244.jpeg

• Administrators

Looks like solid progress, welcome to the forum. 

As for grafts, depends on how low you wanna go? What are your plans? Can you draw where you’d like the hairline?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Looks like solid progress, welcome to the forum. 

As for grafts, depends on how low you wanna go? What are your plans? Can you draw where you’d like the hairline?

Thanks for the reply! I’m only 29 so I don’t wanna go too hard on my donor (or bank account) so I’m not looking for an aggressive hairline, just one that doesn’t scream receded. Any ideas? 3CA57D0A-814C-4793-BA47-19F891D564D5.thumb.jpeg.a729424a22e4c7ed7f9df29f57056255.jpeg

Anywhere between 2000-3000 depending on the surgeon you inquire with. 

Look at Dr Hasson hairline cases - he would likely dense pack upto 3000 here, given your donor has a sufficient amount of grafts for later on in life. 

However look at @JDEE0’s thread - similar hair loss , and his surgeon has seemingly cracked it with 2000. 

Your hair characteristics ultimately play a huge role in determining your graft estimations, as you probably already know . . However there is some variance between doctors. 

Personally, I’d prefer to choose dr’s who aim for lower graft counts, yet higher survival rates. Even if they’re more expensive per graft, you usually make that back up with the lesser grafts used. 

Where are you based. ?

1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

Anywhere between 2000-3000 depending on the surgeon you inquire with. 

Look at Dr Hasson hairline cases - he would likely dense pack upto 3000 here, given your donor has a sufficient amount of grafts for later on in life. 

However look at @JDEE0’s thread - similar hair loss , and his surgeon has seemingly cracked it with 2000. 

Your hair characteristics ultimately play a huge role in determining your graft estimations, as you probably already know . . However there is some variance between doctors. 

Personally, I’d prefer to choose dr’s who aim for lower graft counts, yet higher survival rates. Even if they’re more expensive per graft, you usually make that back up with the lesser grafts used. 

Where are you based. ?

I’d hope to get it down to 2,000. I’ve seen examples of amazing restoration with 2,000 grafts. I’m in England, Dr Arshad is probably my most likely option right now but it’s early days in my research.

This is extremely strong progress. Obvious from the huge amount of very short (but strong looking) hairs sprouting out everywhere.

Congratulations.

Once you are at the 12-18 month mark and most of the regrowth has settled in, I agree that a 2000-3000 graft transplant for the temples will look amazing with the right surgeon. Your suggested hairline looks spot on. Not too juvenile, and also not overly receded looking. Will look great for a 30 year old.

Edited by alopeciaphobia

1 hour ago, alopeciaphobia said:

This is extremely strong progress. Obvious from the huge amount of very short (but strong looking) hairs sprouting out everywhere.

Congratulations.

Once you are at the 12-18 month mark and most of the regrowth has settled in, I agree that a 2000-3000 graft transplant for the temples will look amazing with the right surgeon. Your suggested hairline looks spot on. Not too juvenile, and also not overly receded looking. Will look great for a 30 year old.

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate the input. 

First of all, welcome to the forum :) you'll find the quality of experience and advice here vastly superior to r/tressless. I was a member there for a while before eventually migrating to HairLossTalk, and finally HairRestorationNetwork.

You've got a lot of research ahead but the good news is everything looks pretty good- by that I mean you've got a lot of hair left, so if you were to get a transplant it's a high chance of being a one-and-done. Stay on the routine and give it at least a year (if not two) and then take a look at your comparison photos. If it looks like your hair loss has stabilized, then (and only then) would I recommend to start considering a HT.

Once you've decided a HT is what you want, make liberal use of the search bar in the top right (I recommend setting to "in content titles only" after searching). Search up doctors from all over- a patient who is willing to travel international has vastly more options and in many cases, can save money and get better quality. Read as many patient journeys as you can, especially of people who have similar hair characteristics to you. That will give you the best (and truest) impression of what any clinic could do for you.

I'm 29 as well and just had my second HT. I'm chuffed now, but at the time of my first HT I wasn't that educated and almost became a repair case (I got lucky). Make sure that doesn't happen to you and abuse that search bar as much as you can.

To help with your research, here's an initial recommendation of some clinics, roughly priced from low to high. There are many, many more on this forum.

Demirsoy
Bicer
Eugenix
HLC
Pekiner
Mader
Rahal
Hasson & Wong
Konior

Hope that helps!

Edited by rob7331
  • Like 1

Follow my second hair transplant journey below

Caucasian - 4613 Grafts - Eugenix, Dr. Arika Bansal

1 hour ago, rob7331 said:

First of all, welcome to the forum :) you'll find the quality of experience and advice here vastly superior to r/tressless. I was a member there for a while before eventually migrating to HairLossTalk, and finally HairRestorationNetwork.

You've got a lot of research ahead but the good news is everything looks pretty good- by that I mean you've got a lot of hair left, so if you were to get a transplant it's a high chance of being a one-and-done. Stay on the routine and give it at least a year (if not two) and then take a look at your comparison photos. If it looks like your hair loss has stabilized, then (and only then) would I recommend to start considering a HT.

Once you've decided a HT is what you want, make liberal use of the search bar in the top right (I recommend setting to "in content titles only" after searching). Search up doctors from all over- a patient who is willing to travel international has vastly more options and in many cases, can save money and get better quality. Read as many patient journeys as you can, especially of people who have similar hair characteristics to you. That will give you the best (and truest) impression of what any clinic could do for you.

I'm 29 as well and just had my second HT. I'm chuffed now, but at the time of my first HT I wasn't that educated and almost became a repair case (I got lucky). Make sure that doesn't happen to you and abuse that search bar as much as you can.

To help with your research, here's an initial recommendation of some clinics, roughly priced from low to high. There are many, many more on this forum.

Demirsoy
Bicer
Eugenix
HLC
Pekiner
Mader
Rahal
Hasson & Wong
Konior

Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot! I’m guessing from ‘chuffed’ you’re British too, did you go to a surgeon locally? 

10 hours ago, TG92 said:

I’d hope to get it down to 2,000. I’ve seen examples of amazing restoration with 2,000 grafts. I’m in England, Dr Arshad is probably my most likely option right now but it’s early days in my research.

If you’re set on staying put in the UK, I’d look into Dr Reddy - he’s good at making a few grafts go a long way. 

Otherwise, it would be in your interest for both quality and financial sake, to look further afield. 

In my opinion 😉

Tg92,

At the angle you’ve presented the photos, your progress looks quite impressive for only using finasteride. Typically, nonsurgical solutions are way better at helping individuals keep their existing hair than regrowing new hair. But it kind a looks like you may have regrown some hair as , which is great.  Is that true?

I think posting some photos showing other angles of your hairline would be helpful as well. But for only six months using finasteride, I’d say you’ve made some very impressive progress.

I’d give it another six months to see what it will do for you and then at that point, you can move forward with surgical hair restoration.  as for the number of graphs you will need, some of it will depend on how much more progress you make with finasteride.  Then, I would consult with a few leading hair surgeons and discuss your hair restoration goals.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 3/29/2022 at 4:16 PM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Tg92,

At the angle you’ve presented the photos, your progress looks quite impressive for only using finasteride. Typically, nonsurgical solutions are way better at helping individuals keep their existing hair than regrowing new hair. But it kind a looks like you may have regrown some hair as , which is great.  Is that true?

I think posting some photos showing other angles of your hairline would be helpful as well. But for only six months using finasteride, I’d say you’ve made some very impressive progress.

I’d give it another six months to see what it will do for you and then at that point, you can move forward with surgical hair restoration.  as for the number of graphs you will need, some of it will depend on how much more progress you make with finasteride.  Then, I would consult with a few leading hair surgeons and discuss your hair restoration goals.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am on finasteride and minoxidil (once a day before bed) and also dermaroll 1.5mm once a week. So I’m not sure what to thank for the growth but your words are very encouraging. I plan to wait until after one year before seriously discussing transplants.