How do you know if before and after photos are real.

Unless they're a reliable clinic, you don't.  The best way to deem results is to look at actual photos sent by clients on forums such as this.

Its possible for YouTube to be a hit and miss as most bloggers will be paid by the clinic for the review.

Edited by SeanToman
  • Like 1

Given that the clinics will only publish selected photos of successful transplants, then there are the myriads of pseudo-clinics that take photos of patients operated on by top surgeons on the web and pass them off as their own photos, perhaps marking them with the name of their company. .

And above all, the photos should be taken under the sunlight, not in the car or in rooms with little light.

Edited by Egy

• Administrators

If the clinic is reputable and have plenty of patient reviews, then you can bet the before photos are real. I think it's fairly easy to tell if it's a different person or not. Faking photos is fairly rare. It's much more common to steal photos from other clinics and pass them off as their own than faking before photos.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The main problem is that the photos provided should be of good quality. 

Even a failed hair transplant wil look good on a low quality after photo, with the combed down.

On the other side, a perfect transplant wil only look better on a high quality photo with the hair slicked back. 

The difference between a good and a perfect hair transplant can only be seen on high quality close up photos.

And if the hairline isn't being shown clearly, you should know that there is something being hidden for a reason. This is for me big a red flag. 

Always ask for these, because your eye is the best camera there is, and you will see yourself always in closeup when looking in the mirror. 

Best of luck. 

• Like 1

You actually don't know that the photos posted by a clinic are real and with no edit. Clinics are businesses that try to get more clients and increase their profits. So considering that any clinic could edit the "after" photos to make the result look better than it actually is, so to convince you to come to the clinic. This can be done very easily by professional photo editors and you would not even understand that the photos were edited by the clinic.

So the best thing you have to do is to only trust photos that are taken by patients and uploaded in their own threads.

On some photos its clearly visible they used fibers or something on photo has been reworked.

I would rely these days only on photos posted by pacients on various forums or youtube videos with very clear material. On instagram almost everything looks good.

Jerome,

This is a very good question. I think one of the best ways to verify whether or not clinic posted photos are real is to look for and talk to actual patients from the clinic.  For example, many physicians recommended by this community including Dr. Rahal regularly present examples of their work and results on this forum. In addition, if you use the search feature, you will find many patients who unsolicited, have shared their experience from beginning to end while posting monthly progress photos, expressing  questions and concerns without knowing what their end result will even look like.  If by researching, you see that the end result posted by patients are outstanding and match what the clinic themselves is posting, then I think it’s pretty safe to say that what they are posting are legitimate.

So long story short, by speaking to abfÿan even meeting with patients in person, if possible, it should be pretty easy to determine which clinics are true and genuine and presenting regular examples of their work and results.

That said, there are certainly other camera related tricks to look for to be sure that what you are seeing is indeed an all around outstanding result and not just camera tricks based on certain lighting conditions,

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 3/24/2022 at 2:01 PM, SeanToman said:

Unless they're a reliable clinic, you don't.  The best way to deem results is to look at actual photos sent by clients on forums such as this.

Its possible for YouTube to be a hit and miss as most bloggers will be paid by the clinic for the review.

They are usually compensated with free grafts.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

The best thing to do is to ask the clinic to provide you the reference of the patient whose pictures have been put up. Most patients who are willing to share their pictures are also willing to give their contact details so that they can speak with the concerned individuals. You can look at pictures posted but verification and proper research is of utmost importance when it comes to choosing a hair transplant center.

A big issue is that many "after" photos are taken by the patient 10-12 months after the procedure. And the selfies are always quite flattering. It's not so much that you can't trust them, it's just that many photos are cherry picked.