Oral Minoxidil UK sources

Hi guys n gals 

Does anybody from the UK currently use Oral Minoxodil and know how i could legally obtain a prescription and what the cost is if i wanted to start using this? 

In the UK i can get Dutasteride and Finasteride but it seems Oral Minoxidil at 2.5mg for hair loss, even off label use is really hard to find or get prescribed. 

I had no idea that the topical version was that difficult to obtain….getting a script should not be difficult.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

22 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

I order mine from a pharmacy in Europe - pm me if you’re interested.  

Thought you were an advocate of topical anyway? 

I'm curious on where to get it from. I am generally on the more cautious side in terms of the sides from oral Minoxodil but should i need it down the line, i was wondering if it would be more easily available. 

Besides, i still think you side step Trichosis a bit more but there's always laser hair removal should you turn into Teen Wolf :D

13 minutes ago, gillenator said:

I had no idea that the topical version was that difficult to obtain….getting a script should not be difficult.

The topical can be easily purchased over the counter in the UK. However, the oral tablet version doesn't seem as readily available. 

29 minutes ago, gillenator said:

16 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Besides, i still think you side step Trichosis a bit more but there's always laser hair removal should you turn into Teen Wolf

Haha - the hypertrichosis is certainly real, but fortunately nothing extreme so far in my case. 

1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

Haha - the hypertrichosis is certainly real, but fortunately nothing extreme so far in my case. 

The personal thing for me, if i'm honest was those two things. Right now, it does seem like Oral Minoxodil avoids potentially the scalp degradation that occurs adding the topical mixes for decades on the top of your head, but i worry about the side affects to do with your heart, BP etc. i guess more than Trichosis. Which if it did happen, i'd look to laser away. 

I know some people get the Loniten 5mg version i think and half/quarter it. I don't think there's a pre-made size but happy to be wrong. Think it's 2.5mg Oral Minoxidil daily dosage? 

2 hours ago, NARMAK said:

The personal thing for me, if i'm honest was those two things. Right now, it does seem like Oral Minoxodil avoids potentially the scalp degradation that occurs adding the topical mixes for decades on the top of your head, but i worry about the side affects to do with your heart, BP etc. i guess more than Trichosis. Which if it did happen, i'd look to laser away. 

I know some people get the Loniten 5mg version i think and half/quarter it. I don't think there's a pre-made size but happy to be wrong. Think it's 2.5mg Oral Minoxidil daily dosage? 

Personally, my heart rate has stayed exactly the same, as has my BP - however I made sure to consult with 2x cardiologists beforehand, and discussed my intention, which I would highly recommend everyone to do so.

I take 2x 2.5mg generic tabs a day.

For me, the topical would have been inconvenient, greasy, and like you say, the scalp degradation theory as mentioned by Hasson, wouldn’t be great for future surgeries, potentially?  

4 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Personally, my heart rate has stayed exactly the same, as has my BP - however I made sure to consult with 2x cardiologists beforehand, and discussed my intention, which I would highly recommend everyone to do so.

I take 2x 2.5mg generic tabs a day.

For me, the topical would have been inconvenient, greasy, and like you say, the scalp degradation theory as mentioned by Hasson, wouldn’t be great for future surgeries, potentially?  

We’re do you get weird hair growth if you don’t mind me asking? I am okay with more beard hair/chest hair but would hate weird hair on like lower forehead or temples near eyebrows

2 hours ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

We’re do you get weird hair growth if you don’t mind me asking? I am okay with more beard hair/chest hair but would hate weird hair on like lower forehead or temples near eyebrows

I’ve experienced coarser chest and abdomen hair, coarser beard hair, thicker eyebrows, longer eyelashes . . very small hairs on the temples which are more like an extension of the eyebrows, but are barely visible. 

Hairs on the back of my fingers, more back and shoulder hair, and the rate lf hair growth seems faster too. 

The only unwanted hair for me, is that on my back and shoulders , which I have shaved lff weekly, and I just trimmed my hands and fingers with my clippers the other day. 

I do think I experienced some temporary weight gain when I upped the dosage for the first 2-4 weeks, which has now subsided, that was quite interesting. 

Other than that, all positive 😀

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

I’ve experienced coarser chest and abdomen hair, coarser beard hair, thicker eyebrows, longer eyelashes . . very small hairs on the temples which are more like an extension of the eyebrows, but are barely visible. 

Hairs on the back of my fingers, more back and shoulder hair, and the rate lf hair growth seems faster too. 

The only unwanted hair for me, is that on my back and shoulders , which I have shaved lff weekly, and I just trimmed my hands and fingers with my clippers the other day. 

I do think I experienced some temporary weight gain when I upped the dosage for the first 2-4 weeks, which has now subsided, that was quite interesting. 

Other than that, all positive 😀

Did you grow hair on your back prior to taking oral min? Or did it grow hair areas with none previously?

20 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Yea I did, but not as much. 

From my experience so far, it just seems to have increased the coarseness and growth rate of hair in areas that I already had hair, for the most part. 

Did the hair on your head become thicker or longer? What were the positive effects and also what dosage did you start at? Thanks 

1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

Yea I did, but not as much. 

From my experience so far, it just seems to have increased the coarseness and growth rate of hair in areas that I already had hair, for the most part. 

Oh okay I don’t grow hair on back yet so hopefully it doesn’t add it lol 

7 hours ago, Russ said:

Did the hair on your head become thicker or longer? What were the positive effects and also what dosage did you start at? Thanks 

It’s still early days, but I can definitely already see and feel a difference in my head hair - whether that is because previous miniaturised hairs have now became thicker, or new hairs have grown, or maybe a combination of both . . I don’t know, but I was pretty heavily miniaturised throughout a narrow NW5 pattern, and now my density already looks more full.

I took 2.5mg in the morning for 6 weeks, and then I started to take 2.5mg in the morning, and 2.5mg in the evening (so 5mg daily) from 6 weeks up until now, which is soon to be 16 weeks as of tomorrow. 

I have noticed a lot of small hairs crop up on my hairline , however unsure whether they are new, or whether they were just resting hairs that have been pushed into the Anagen phase. 

Edited by Curious25

Apologies for just dropping a link, but it's much easier to do so as I've put quite a few doctors (mostly UK) who can prescribe OM, their price etc. 

• Like 1

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

6 hours ago, Rolandas said:

Apologies for just dropping a link, but it's much easier to do so as I've put quite a few doctors (mostly UK) who can prescribe OM, their price etc. 

Hey, thanks a lot. Didn't know you had a video on it lol. 

Your YouTube is pretty great too btw. You got some solid content on there and actually watched a lot of your own personal hair transplant journey and seeing you highlight all the different post op care, your low grade haircut showing the FUE scars etc. 

Good job man, keep it up 👍🏼

• Like 1