Nerve damage after FUE

I’m on day 6, nearly 7 of post-op HT care. I’m experiencing a good amount of discomfort and pain in my donor area such as sensitivity to touch and difficulty sleeping due to the pressure of leaning back. I don’t think it’s infection and my surgeon doesn’t either. He believes it may be nerve hypersensitivity. My understanding is that this could mean possible nerve damage in the area. How long does this typically persist, as I know it’s uncommon. Surgeon has been very helpful so far. Any thoughts? I was encouraged to treat with gentle massages and ibuprofen. 

Edited by Coverdale

• Valued Contributor

@Coverdale all hair transplants are surgical so nerve damage indeed does occur. It takes time for the nerves to recreate new pathways as the scalp heals. The recovery varies from person to person but recovery will occur. My donor is 5 weeks out and it's 'slightly' sensitive (but not painful). When I had my punch graft plug surgery many moons ago the back of my head was completely 'numb' for at least six months!! You could have sliced it with a razor and I wouldn't have felt the pain!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's unlikely for the level of pain you describe to last much longer. Numbness will likely continue for months though. Nerves are tricky and regrowth is very slow. If nerve pain continues, you can ask your Dr (likely general practitioner and not your HT Dr) about a medication called gaubapentin. It's supposed to help with nerve pain but I wouldn't bother with it unless you've been experiencing this pain for some time. 

Edited by JoeMan
  • Thanks 1

Coverdale,

While FUE and FUT are both different donor harvesting techniques, they both involve extracting both hair follicles and its surrounding tissue.  As a result, patients  must go through a healing process which. could take several months. Thus, I wouldn’t be concerned that you’re experiencing some mild discomfort in the donor area only a few days postop.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

It’s not permanent pain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Most patients fully recover between the 6th and 12th month post-op.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY