Finasteride and dutasteride together?

It depends what you mean by taking them together. 

You can take 1mg Finasteride for say like 3/4 days of the week and take Dutasteride for the rest if that's what you mean. Usually the way people taper if when having 1mg/day of Finasteride is to usually replace 1 day with 0.5mg Dutasteride and then taper up. 

Personally i started off nuclear with Dutasteride even though i would argue my hair loss seemed slow/stable for the most part over the last 10 years. I figured of the adage is that you can't see how much hairs lost till it gets to 50%, i'd better try make up for not starting earlier and be more aggressive. Luckily my body tolerated it well and i've balanced out the initial sides from the DHT drop in the body. I would say though probably better to tape use and it will be less likely to give you noticeable sides as your body tapers down on reduced DHT function. 

• Like 1

Personally, I don’t see any reason why you would want to take both of them together.  Dutasteride blocks both type 1 and 2 - 5 alpha reductase enzymes we’re as fast ride blocks only type 2.  Whereas taking both  minoxidil and finasteride together have a synergistic affect which means taking both of them in combination with another are more effective than taking either one of them individually, it seems like overkill to take both of finasteride and dutasteride together, not to mention the increase risk of side effects.

Best Wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 6:57 PM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Personally, I don’t see any reason why you would want to take both of them together.  Dutasteride blocks both type 1 and 2 - 5 alpha reductase enzymes we’re as fast ride blocks only type 2.  Whereas taking both  minoxidil and finasteride together have a synergistic affect which means taking both of them in combination with another are more effective than taking either one of them individually, it seems like overkill to take both of finasteride and dutasteride together, not to mention the increase risk of side effects.

Best Wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Hi Rahal,

Would you suggest a straight swap to DUT then? I am currently on fin but I notice it is not as effective anymore 

28 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Hi Rahal,

Would you suggest a straight swap to DUT then? I am currently on fin but I notice it is not as effective anymore 

Not Rahal, but if you can tolerate it, switch to Dutasteride if you don't feel Finasteride is aiding you as much. 

Finasteride 1mg every day blocks circa 41% scalp DHT. Dutasteride 0.5mg will boost this by 10% to around 51% according to the studies. The 10% boost on scalp though also means the 70% or so body DHT blocked by Finasteride is around 90% on Dutasteride. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Not Rahal, but if you can tolerate it, switch to Dutasteride if you don't feel Finasteride is aiding you as much. 

Finasteride 1mg every day blocks circa 41% scalp DHT. Dutasteride 0.5mg will boost this by 10% to around 51% according to the studies. The 10% boost on scalp though also means the 70% or so body DHT blocked by Finasteride is around 90% on Dutasteride. 

Thanks for the feedback mate

• 6 months later...

@aKaWonderKid,

In my opinion, unless the doctor says otherwise, it’s not a good idea to take both dutasteride and finasteride together. If you understand the mechanisms and how they both work, they both work for Simmerly. They’re both anti-androgens but finasteride blocks type II 5-alpha reductase enzymes and dutasteride blocks both type I and type II 5 alpha reductase and times.  But since both medication‘s block type two, what would be the point of taking both of them?

in my opinion, one should start with finasteride and only if finasteride is not effective and isn’t working should one consider moving onto dutasteride which is more potent.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Just now, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@aKaWonderKid,

In my opinion, unless the doctor says otherwise, it’s not a good idea to take both dutasteride and finasteride together. If you understand the mechanisms and how they both work, they both work for Simmerly. They’re both anti-androgens but finasteride blocks type II 5-alpha reductase enzymes and dutasteride blocks both type I and type II 5 alpha reductase and times.  But since both medication‘s block type two, what would be the point of taking both of them?

in my opinion, one should start with finasteride and only if finasteride is not effective and isn’t working should one consider moving onto dutasteride which is more potent.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

How would you recommend switching over?  Titrate up from lower dose daily or less frequent or sprinkly in some Fin?  I.E. MWF Fin and the rest Dut?