HT in the Summer

Hi Everyone- Any issues with having an FUE HT in the summer as far as increased risk of scarring?

I will be going to the beach for 2 weeks with the family and there will be some pool time as well.

If I had the procedure done in the summer, I would make sure to wear a hat that would provide shade to both the recipient and donor area whenever in the sun. Is this enough? 

Thanks!

The issue with the sun, particularly right after the procedure is the fact you can freckle permanently.  After 7 days you can wear sunscreen and a cap.  I'm afraid if cap only, it will not be enough if you are going to be out there for an extended amount of time.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

I would limit your sun exposure. Keep the sunscreen with you and apply as necessary.  You should be OK.

• Thanks 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

1 hour ago, LaserCaps said:

I would limit your sun exposure. Keep the sunscreen with you and apply as necessary.  You should be OK.

How long is it before you are able to go out and about again into the sun as normal? Personally i plan to be a hermit for as long as possible if i'm honest. Work from home and hopefully the first 3 months at home to get past that Ugly Duckling phase if possible and wear a trendy hat when going out/gym to keep it covered. 

• Administrators

All of my previous surgeries were in the summer, as long as you’re wear a hat you’re fine.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

For what it's worth, I spoke with Dr. Ferreira about summer HT. He told me that plenty of his patients go off to the Algarve after surgery and vacation in the summer heat. He basically said that if you protect your head and stay out of the water you're fine. 

You're going to have to check with your Dr about pool time 2 weeks afterwards though. I'm not sure if that's a good idea. 

Edited by JoeMan
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

best month to get HT is September...2 months in baseball caps, 4 months in a winter beanie, 2 months no hat ( months 7-8) and you made it to summer with brand new hair at 9 months...works get if your in North East** but i may be biased lol. good luck 

This is something ive been thinking about as well, and I came to the same conclusion. Hopefully I can get an appt in september.

• Like 2