How high risk with a hair mill?

I want to do hair transplant but my budget is only about 3000 dollars. If I go for a hair mill in turkey that costs 1500 dollars and get 70% result, I can go once again and acheive 140% result with only 3000 dollars. Is it not worth it considering that top clinic cost 10000+ dollars? Is it worth the risk/cost ratio? 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Inch6 said:

I want to do hair transplant but my budget is only about 3000 dollars. If I go for a hair mill in turkey that costs 1500 dollars and get 70% result, I can go once again and acheive 140% result with only 3000 dollars. Is it not worth it considering that top clinic cost 10000+ dollars? Is it worth the risk/cost ratio? 

The maths don’t work like that with the “mills” don’t risk your scalp for the cheap option. The damage that can happen would leave you worse off and you would then need a elite Dr/clinic to try and repair it. You will be literally paying someone $1500 to mess up your head. Could be irreversible, Could leave you overharvested as well as many other risk factors. Don’t do it, you would 100% regret it ! That’s the only percentage I’m sure of. 
Dr Bicer is €2 per graft, doing 1 person per day and has full involvement throughout the procedure. She’s also forum recommended. Save for her and don’t risk your valuable scalp ! 

Edited by JC71
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Read this thread out loud and see if the question even makes sense. You’re insecure enough about your hair loss to get surgery right? Well how bad would it be if not only did you still look balding, but everyone that you meet knows you had a hair transplant that failed? Is that worth 1,500 bucks? 

• Like 4

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

How old are you ? And can you let us know more details, if your on a med regime, your current loss, pics would be good. I implore you to do as much research as possible before making any decisions. Don’t be the next hair mill failure. 👍🏽

10 minutes ago, JC71 said:

How old are you ? And can you let us know more details, if your on a med regime, your current loss, pics would be good. I implore you to do as much research as possible before making any decisions. Don’t be the next hair mill failure. 👍🏽

I am 29, I have been on fin 1 mig/day since 4-5 years. My hair loss is not so severe, I'm nw3.

I understand what you mean guys, but the thing is that I know a lot of people that went to Turkey to a "hair mill" and most of them got decent to good result, a few of the got really good result and a few very bad. However, if I go to a "Good" hairmill I could increase my chance of also getting a good result, and if I'm not satisified I also have enough money for another procedure. Of course, the is a risk of destroyed donor... 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Inch6 said:

I am 29, I have been on fin 1 mig/day since 4-5 years. My hair loss is not so severe, I'm nw3.

I understand what you mean guys, but the thing is that I know a lot of people that went to Turkey to a "hair mill" and most of them got decent to good result, a few of the got really good result and a few very bad. However, if I go to a "Good" hairmill I could increase my chance of also getting a good result, and if I'm not satisified I also have enough money for another procedure. Of course, the is a risk of destroyed donor... 

There’s no such thing as a good hair mill. It’s a 50/50 gamble. Russian roulette with your head. I know so many that wished they never had surgery. @Doron Harati was nearly killed at a hair mill. Shaving is free. Do that instead.

• Like 4

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 minute ago, Inch6 said:

The very real risk is that of a decimated donor area, poor hairline, poor growth, excessive grafts used/wasted, multi grafts in your hairline, scarring, poor angles.. or in the case of @Doron Haratilt can actually be life threatening. So many people end up regretting it and spending many more times the amount in just trying to get a repair. Our donor areas are not infinite.. once a graft has been taken, that’s it. 
The absolute lowest you should consider would be Dr Demirsoy or Dr Yaman (if you stay away from temple work) 

The issue with a mill is that your basically totally in the hands of whatever tech you get on the day. Could be a experienced tech, could have started on the day of your procedure. 

1 hour ago, Inch6 said:

i went to HOI the most expensive hair mill and still got screwed trust me its not worth it

• Like 2

I have seen about 12 years worth of hair mill results and had many sent to me via PM. I don’t even think it’s a 50/50 type risk. Going to a mill nearly guarantees that it won’t be a refined procedure and you will encounter some or all of the issues I mentioned above. 

• Like 1

Hope my photos will answer your questions, I was botched badly by a cheap hair mill in 2018 BUT IN MY DEFENSE I paid a lot because used a consultant agency that unfortunately I trusted them and sued them with 4 more botched paitents, my first HT was the most painful and horrific experience I ever had by Arenamed clinic in Turkey, also my life was in danger due to medical malpractice with low blood pressure luckliy the ambulance came for my rescue and till this day I have court feuds with the agency who never took responsibility as promised on their contract.

A year plus later I had my repair by Dr. Maras at HDC clinic in Cyprus and today I am the coordinator of the clinic and very happy with my repair result.

20200104_191634.jpg

20201030_150614.jpg

20200814_010926.jpg

20201026_122153.jpg

Edited by Doron Harati
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Doron Harati said:

Hope my photos will answer your questions, I was botched badly by a cheap hair mill in 2018 BUT IN MY DEFIANCE I paid a lot because used a consultant agency that unfortunately I trusted them and sued them with 4 more botched paitents, my first HT was the most painful and horrific experience I ever had by Arenamed clinic in Turkey, also my life was in danger and ambulance came for my rescue.

A year plus later I had my repair by Dr. Maras at HDC clinic in Cyprus and today I am the coordinator of the clinic and very happy with my repair result.

20200104_191634.jpg

20201030_150614.jpg

20200814_010926.jpg

20201026_122153.jpg

Literally, nearly killed. His blood pressure dropped to a lethal level. Because technicians were administering anesthesia. No doctor supervision. It’s not worth it.

• Sad 1

View my thread

46 minutes ago, Inch6 said:

I'm glad your'e not my accountant😊

• 100% represents a perfect yield. 
  • For example. If the estimate of grafts required is 3000 and you get 70% yield.
  • 3000 X 70% = 2100 
  • Short by 900 
  • To get those 900 grafts at a yield of 70%, you'd need an additional 1285 grafts.
  • So you'd pay for 4285 grafts to yield 3000.

Where did you get your 70% from?

As others have pointed out, the cost may be much greater than financial. A doctor with the skill and protocols in place will produce 90%+ yields consistently. Hair mills are defined by their inconsistent results.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Doron Harati said:

Hope my photos will answer your questions, I was botched badly by a cheap hair mill in 2018 BUT IN MY DEFIANCE I paid a lot because used a consultant agency that unfortunately I trusted them and sued them with 4 more botched paitents, my first HT was the most painful and horrific experience I ever had by Arenamed clinic in Turkey, also my life was in danger and ambulance came for my rescue.

20200104_191634.jpg

20201030_150614.jpg

20200814_010926.jpg

20201026_122153.jpg

Wow sorry to hear that. What went wrong? Do you have a thread about your experience, would be interesting to read more about it. 

1 hour ago, AA1989 said:

I'm glad your'e not my accountant😊

• 100% represents a perfect yield. 
  • For example. If the estimate of grafts required is 3000 and you get 70% yield.
  • 3000 X 70% = 2100 
  • Short by 900 
  • To get those 900 grafts at a yield of 70%, you'd need an additional 1285 grafts.
  • So you'd pay for 4285 grafts to yield 3000.

Where did you get your 70% from?

As others have pointed out, the cost may be much greater than financial. A doctor with the skill and protocols in place will produce 90%+ yields consistently. Hair mills are defined by their inconsistent results.

I've read that the transection rate at hair mills is 30%, so 70% good grafts are harvested and implanted. But I understand what you mean, however, if we say I can "risk" loosing 1000 grafts but also save 10000 dollars, is it worth it? It can be, I'm not sure. It's leaning to a no right now but sometimes I think messed it lets save that money and take the risk... 

• Confused 1

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Inch6 said:

Wow sorry to hear that. What went wrong? Do you have a thread about your experience, would be interesting to read more about it. 

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Inch6 said:

I've read that the transection rate at hair mills is 30%, so 70% good grafts are harvested and implanted. But I understand what you mean, however, if we say I can "risk" loosing 1000 grafts but also save 10000 dollars, is it worth it? It can be, I'm not sure. It's leaning to a no right now but sometimes I think fucked it lets save that money and take the risk... 

70% 🤣🤣🤣 who’s saying this the hair mill? Try more like 90% transection.

• Haha 1

View my thread

Hair mills are difficult to quantify in terms of results. Some will show no real yield at all. Others would have left a awful extraction pattern and also decimated the donor area, making any future hair transplants pretty impossible. You can ruin a donor area from just one procedure, doesn’t have to be a mega session.

Do not do it, it will be 3k flushed down the toilet.

You would be better off taking that 3k, gambling on some crypto or stock options and hoping you get to at least 10k to afford a decent surgeon.

Losing 3k would be better than a failed transplant and depleted donor. 

• Like 1

Consider the prices of Dr Bicer at €2 per graft and then look at the best Euro Drs/Clinics who would be anywhere from €2-5 per graft at most. Ask @Doron Haratifor a consultation, HDC is a infinitely better choice and it would start from €2 per graft (Dr Christina)

Edited by JC71

4 minutes ago, Inch6 said:

I've read that the transection rate at hair mills is 30%, so 70% good grafts are harvested and implanted. But I understand what you mean, however, if we say I can "risk" loosing 1000 grafts but also save 10000 dollars, is it worth it? It can be, I'm not sure. It's leaning to a no right now but sometimes I think fucked it lets save that money and take the risk... 

But that's the problem with hair mills - you can't even guarantee a fail rate of 30% of the grafts. Transection is only one way a graft can get damaged. Survival depends on how the graft is preserved after extraction.

As others have detailed, a HT can fail in many other ways too.

1 minute ago, AA1989 said:

But that's the problem with hair mills - you can't even guarantee a fail rate of 30% of the grafts. Transection is only one way a graft can get damaged. Survival depends on how the graft is preserved after extraction.

As others have detailed, a HT can fail in many other ways too.

Exactly this. So many mills will use a excessive amount of grafts and hope at least some grow in. Others will be wasted/not grow/transected.