Any Experience with an affiliate of Dr. Konior - Dr. Bhumik Shah @ Chicago Hair Institute?

Slickback

Hello everyone,

I was considering getting an HT with Chicago Hair Institute, headed by Dr. Konior. Normally I'd never go to a doctor who didn't have extensive reviews or ratings, especially for something like this, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with his associate, Dr. Bhumik Shah? Aside from his bio on the CHI website, I couldn't really find any reviews of him or his past work. I think he joined them fairly recently. Also, his quoted price was also significantly less than what I would have expected from Konior's clinic, which is known to be really up there in terms of cost.

Don't get me wrong, he was very thorough, responsive and detailed, addressed ALL the points I raised in my interaction so far (which other docs hadn't), and according to the site, he's trained under Dr. Konior for like a year and now works at CHI.  That alone is quite convincing but I really wish I could see if anyone has had any experience with Dr. Shah? Like Dr. Nadimi, she's got plenty of ratings and reviews. I don't doubt him, but it would be nice to see if anyone has any experience w/him since I can't find anything. 

• Administrators

I know Dr. Konior was training someone named Boomer, but I haven’t seen his work. Every doctor that Konior has trained has been excellent. Dr. Nadimi, Dr. Gabel to name a few. Any particular reason you don’t choose Konior?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi Melvin,

Any particular reason you don’t choose Konior?

Hi Melvin, thanks for the response.

It wasn't so much that I didn't choose Konior (or Nadimi). I just requested a consultation on the Chicago Hair Institute website expecting Konior or Nadimi to respond (since that's what it says in the text, no mention of anyone else) and Dr. Shah was the one that responded and gave his cost estimate, so I'm assuming he would be doing the work. Konior's associates do seem to do good work and I assume Shah is no different, especially since he actually works at the CHI clinic. I was just a bit cautious since because of the lack of reviews and lower price. I didn't even realize the clinic had a third doctor there until he responded actually. 

I remember asking Dr K years ago (pre nadimi) whether he was looking for other doctors to expand the practise.  He said yes, always. But it's very difficult to find people with the right work ethic, talent, and without bad habits picked up from working at chain clinics.

I would have confidence in this Dr Shah if he has been vetted by Dr K.  However, I totally appreciate my perspective is likey to differ to yours, having had 3 HTs there.

Maybe you could have a Zoom call and find out more.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Slickback said:

Hi Melvin,

Hi Melvin, thanks for the response.

It wasn't so much that I didn't choose Konior (or Nadimi). I just requested a consultation on the Chicago Hair Institute website expecting Konior or Nadimi to respond (since that's what it says in the text, no mention of anyone else) and Dr. Shah was the one that responded and gave his cost estimate, so I'm assuming he would be doing the work. Konior's associates do seem to do good work and I assume Shah is no different, especially since he actually works at the CHI clinic. I was just a bit cautious since because of the lack of reviews and lower price. I didn't even realize the clinic had a third doctor there until he responded actually. 

I wouldn’t assume that he’s doing the work, he may be helping him respond to patients. I would ask his involvement if any in the procedure.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I met him. Very well trained under Dr K. He was shawdowing him with the goal of being the world's best HT surgeon. Nice, caring demeanor. Bottom line you will get Dr K's wonderful staff and techs. I know Dr K will keep a watchful eye and make sure his high standards are maintained. Glad they are offering more option. Wouldn't be surprised if "Boomer" wasn't the next HT superstar---you are probably getting in early.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mountinvan said:

I met him. Very well trained under Dr K. He was shawdowing him with the goal of being the world's best HT surgeon. Nice, caring demeanor. Bottom line you will get Dr K's wonderful staff and techs. I know Dr K will keep a watchful eye and make sure his high standards are maintained. Glad they are offering more option. Wouldn't be surprised if "Boomer" wasn't the next HT superstar---you are probably getting in early.

That's a relief to hear! And LOL so he's this "Boomer" that was referenced earlier? I just realized this now after reading his first name again haha. Wow I sure hope I'm getting in early to Konior's next prodigy. Thanks Mountinvan!

On 2/11/2022 at 12:31 PM, 1978matt said:

would have confidence in this Dr Shah if he has been vetted by Dr K.  However, I totally appreciate my perspective is likey to differ to yours, having had 3 HTs there.

Maybe you could have a Zoom call and find out more.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I'll let you all know what I end up doing once I complete my consultation with him next week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Caleb_ said:

Any update on the consultation?

Hi, yes! Sorry for the late update guys, I was emailing him back and forth a bit afterwards so I lagged getting back to ya'll.

So I basically asked him a list of questions, and I'll sum up his answers here:

• He's been performing HT's for  about a year now after assisting/observing at CHI.
  • He specializes in HT's and doesn't do any other procedures, says he'd rather do that than be a jack of all trades. Does both FUTs and FUEs, not dogmatic about one over the other.
  • The cost estimate he gave me was much lower, and I asked him if the different docs at CHI had different prices. He said its because Konior is obviously a veteran when it comes to this stuff and he's kind of starting out, hence his rate is far less. Based on the cost estimate for me it comes about to something like $4.50 per graft. So Nadimi's I assume is also different.
  • Says he's with the ISHRS (though I didn't check) though he says doesn't really mean all that much as people may think it does.
  • Asked him for former patient pics or reviews since I couldn't find any. He says since he's only been practicing for like a year he doesn't really have an extensive album of past work. So I guess I'll have to ask again in the future if he can share any.
  • They don't have any traveling technicians, all the staff are experienced, have been there for years, and he'd be the one mainly performing the placement I believe he said, staff just assist as needed.
  • They don't use any robots, or fancy automated gadgets.
  • Some painkillers might be needed, post op care is good, might have to get stitches removed from my own doctor, and sleep with a traveling pillow (the wrap-around neck donut thing) for a while

He seemed pretty cool, allowed me to talk most of the time, and ask me all my questions. I might ask him to give me a smaller FUE to give basic coverage on my crown, then I'll debate as to whether I should work on my frontal area with more grafts via FUT. Doing this slowly only because I have not seen his other work. But given he's worked with Konior, and the price is pretty good, I may be sticking with him rather than dumping all my savings on another American doctor or risking Turkey. We shall see!

2 hours ago, Slickback said:

Hi, yes! Sorry for the late update guys, I was emailing him back and forth a bit afterwards so I lagged getting back to ya'll.

• He's been performing HT's for  about a year now after assisting/observing at CHI.
  • He specializes in HT's and doesn't do any other procedures, says he'd rather do that than be a jack of all trades. Does both FUTs and FUEs, not dogmatic about one over the other.
  • The cost estimate he gave me was much lower, and I asked him if the different docs at CHI had different prices. He said its because Konior is obviously a veteran when it comes to this stuff and he's kind of starting out, hence his rate is far less. Based on the cost estimate for me it comes about to something like $4.50 per graft. So Nadimi's I assume is also different.
  • Says he's with the ISHRS (though I didn't check) though he says doesn't really mean all that much as people may think it does.
  • Asked him for former patient pics or reviews since I couldn't find any. He says since he's only been practicing for like a year he doesn't really have an extensive album of past work. So I guess I'll have to ask again in the future if he can share any.
  • They don't have any traveling technicians, all the staff are experienced, have been there for years, and he'd be the one mainly performing the placement I believe he said, staff just assist as needed.
  • Some painkillers might be needed, post op care is good, might have to get stitches removed from my own doctor, and sleep with a traveling pillow (the wrap-around neck donut thing) for a while

He seemed pretty cool, allowed me to talk most of the time, and ask me all my questions. I might ask him to give me a smaller FUE to give basic coverage on my crown, then I'll debate as to whether I should work on my frontal area with more grafts via FUT. Doing this slowly only because I have not seen his other work. But given he's worked with Konior, and the price is pretty good, I may be sticking with him rather than dumping all my savings on another American doctor or risking Turkey. We shall see!

4.50 for fue? That’s really cheap for the us and yea he might be the next prodigy you never know 

57 minutes ago, Dillpickle123 said:

4.50 for fue? That’s really cheap for the us and yea he might be the next prodigy you never know 

My bad, not for the small scale FUE I was considering. Earlier I asked him about 1700-2000 grafts and he said $8100 to 9000. That's where the mid 4 dollar something came from.  Should have clarified. Haven't asked about the FUE yet.

16 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

This would be a red flag to me. 

Potentially, that's why I might be getting a smaller scale job done first on the crown before returning for larger work done. If he's with Konior, I don't think it should be too bad right?

14 minutes ago, Slickback said:

Potentially, that's why I might be getting a smaller scale job done first on the crown before returning for larger work done. If he's with Konior, I don't think it should be too bad right?

being a student of Konior does not make him Konior. Its not like Konior will be in the surgery room with him advising him. 

Perhaps this guy is a natural talent and Konior spotted something in him, but 1 yr of experience is far too little. Perhaps he will be operating on you and face a unique issue he has not experienced before(very punny) He's not going to be able to ring Konior in the middle of surgery and ask what to do. 

If you think this guy is good independent of the Konior branding and completely separate from Konior, then go for it. But I highly doubt Konior himself will be involved at all. 

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Like 2

All I can tell you while I was in Chicago just over a week ago, is that Dr K had high praise for his student Boomer who will be working exclusively in hair restoration it seems.  I don't think he would allow someone to operate in the prestigious hair restoration surgical center he built up over the years, unless he had confidence in them.  As in medical training, fellowships in subspecialties are usually 1-2 years, so that is a good time frame to absorb a lot from one of the world's most experienced surgeon.

Having said that, my question would be how many procedures has Dr Shah done under the supervision of Dr. K, and then subsequently, if you want to ask how many has he done by himself. 

One day, he will be doing his first procedure by himself, and I am sure over time he will do great if Dr K has that level of confidence in him, you just have to decide where you want to fit into that timeline of experience.

Edited by TimeForAction
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

I'm sure this surgeon is well trained and has excellent skills, etc. However unless this surgeon meets your selection criteria based on turning out a large volume of work with patients similar to your hair loss and goals I would keep moving. That's just one of the many criteria you need to have on your list too. Wishing you all the best.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 4:20 PM, Slickback said:

I gathered the same information from my consultation and emails with him. He seemed knowledgeable and inquisitive. My main concern was the lack of photographs for any patient he operated on. I asked for photos of any patients including photos taken immediately post-op, but he said he didn't have any available which I found odd. My overall experience communicating with him was positive so I will keep an eye out for information regarding results of any procedures he performed.

Edited by Caleb_
clarification
  • Like 1