Before and after one procedure of 2710 grafts by Dr William Rassman of the New Hair Institute

As you can see, the patient had a very severe and uneven hair loss. During the transplant we made sure to create a strong and natural hairline as well as make the rest of his hair more even. He's very pleased with the results.

The pink hair band is to pull the hair back to best display the hairline. The patient sort of wears his hair swept to the side that obscures the hairline a bit, so we wanted to make sure that you all could see the transplant the best way possible.

nta_b01_lg.jpgnta_a01_lg.jpg

nta_b02_lg.jpgnta_a02_lg.jpg

nta_b03_lg.jpgnta_a03_lg.jpg

Some other views would be nice besides showing the hair pulled straight back. There is an improvement from the before but even pulled back it looks very thin and looks as though his styling options would be very limited.

How far along after surgery is he? Are these the full year results? If they are I wouldnt be very happy. I bet combed forward and even to the side it may look even thinner. I looked at the pictures SEVERAL times before writing and posting this. I think it was mentioned he had about 2700 graphs? It just does not look like that compared to what I have seen from other doctors and the area that was covered

One thing to potentially note is that due to the patient's hairloss, it looks like the hairline had to be kept fairly low; so the area to be covered by the 2700 might be larger than we'd normally expect.

It really does look pretty thin, nonetheless. But it's basically just one pic, so who knows how it looks from different perspectives, or how he typically wears his hair....

The pictures are obviously high quality....Dr. Rassman obviously prides himself on his work and on his reputation....

Why not get in the habit of including a couple basic shots whenever you post a case to show the result in a way so patients can get a true feel for your work? icon_confused.gif

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline shot....4 photos....it's really that simple....am I crazy to think that this is both an exceedingly easy and worthwhile set of criteria to follow as part of a bare-minimum protocol? In more or less words this has essentially been asked in ten different languages, and as many times that a mathematician would be confused. So what gives?

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Agreed, rpachigo. And yet my expectations are not even so colossal as to expect such an exotic luxury as the 45 degree angle shot. 4 sides to a square, 4 photos, it's all I ask! icon_smile.gif

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

I actually think this looks right on line for the # of grafts implanted. Considering he had just about nothing before he has pretty decent coverage. What concerns me is that there appears to be a little bit of pitting at the hairline. Now that just may be the pics but this is what it looks like to me. Let me add that it really depends on how much they lowered the hairline to determine if this is sufficiant coverage for # of grafts used

Here's my thoughts on this result,

I just don't know-with out more pictures, something about this result is just not right. It is an improvement though???

Correct me if i'm wrong fellas, something tells me this guy is not going to go out in public wearing a pink head band...

I think that most of you are being entirely too harsh. This is a very nice, natural result. The headband is there only for the purpose of pulling the hair back to expose the hairline. vincehair, your statements are absurd. The notion that this patient would be limited to a comb over is one of the more ridiculous statements I've ever read on this site. The patient had a TON of native hair. He should have no styling limitations. The probability that he would resort to a comb over is so implausible, that it does not merit further discussion. Saying that Rassman never does enough grafts the first time around is false. Go to his website and take a look around. You're entitled to your opinion regarding the quality of his work, but you lose credibility when you label your opinions as fact, and spew nonsensical vitriol.

For what it's worth, I do not think that Dr. Rassman's work is on par with that of many physicians on this site. However, he is not some incompetent hack who is disfiguring patients. I recognize that there is a middle ground between hack and great surgeon, and if I were forced to put a numerical ranking on his work, I would put him at a 6.5 - 7. (1 being terrible, 10 being god like) To me, it seems as though Dr. Rassman's work is being examined through a lens of contempt for the man, and that he is not being judged on the quality of his work. The only reason that I can think of for that is his anger over his EXTREMELY high prices. If Dr. Rassman was more in line with the prices of SMG, Feller, Rahal, etc., I truly believe that he would enjoy a better reputation on this site.

I would NEVER allow that pink thingie to be put on my head under any circumstances.

icon_biggrin.gif

The patient likely needed 2 passes from the beginning...you cannot get overly aggressive in previously transplanted areas that experienced poor growth. The idea is to create the illusion of coverage first, make sure good growth is achieved, then go back and add some density and refinement.

It is an individual choice whether or not to like or dislike a particular clinics work. But I agree, sometimes we can be too harsh in our opinions.

I happen to think based on the previous poor work, this is an acceptable result, especially given the before photos that show how the patient had no options.

My opinion of course.

Cheers fellows!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

It is true that it does look natural. I will give you that. My opinion is derived from the very often limited photos that are posted.

Even if his prices were on par with many of the top doctors on here I would not be quick to book with him and probably not at all after doing the research.

TC17

Are you saying that if Dr Rassman lowered his prices in line with the likes of SMG, Rahal, Konior, and H&W people would be more positive to his results?

Honestly, I didn't know he charged more, but from what I've seen over the last two years on this and other forums, Dr Rassmans's work is not on par with the doctors listed above...Please note, this is just my observation...From his pictures, you are right in stating that he is not quack, but, his results, at least on the forums are not even close to the above listed clinics.

Now, I don't know what he charges, but if he's charging more than the above listed clinics, woouldn't you expect a higher value proposition/better result-no?

Take Care TC

I wanna add one thing.....I wouldn't say this is some horrible, lame work -- basically, because the work is being shown in such a limited, secretive manner, such as M1 and others have mentioned. In this vein, though, I can certainly understand why one would take a blunt, if not harsh view.

To what extent and for how long can this pattern of inadequate documentation go down, and each step of the way, we, as patients, continue to give such benefits of doubt? I believe in a healthy dose of good faith, particularly for the long-standing clinics of this forum -- but it's a two-way street. Having to extend such "good faith" shouldn't be the norm, but the exception.

Some might be put-off by Rassman's pricing, but I honestly have very little feeling one way or another, and this goes for him and any other clinic; what irks me, and what I suspect fundamentally irks others, is the sheer consistency and pattern of this type of documentation.

-----------

M1A1,

Dr. Rassman charges double what other top clinics charge. You hit on the head with your statement that the expectation should match that cost. Personally, I do not feel that it does. I would put 10-15 doctors ahead of Dr. Rassman on my personal favorite list.

There is no question that his high prices have put a bullseye square on his back. He cannot meet the standards set by his high pricing. If you take a hypothetical baseball player who hits .275, 25 homers, 80 RBI, 80 runs, 15 steals, and plays good defense, and sign him to a 5 year $15 million contract, he is seen as a bargain. If you take that same hypothetical player but instead he has a 5 year $90 million contract, suddenly he is looked upon quite differently. What was once a very good player, and a great deal, has now become a lightning rod of criticism because he cannot meet the standards that such a large contract would justify. Rassman is that very good player, but he does not get his due as a player (surgeon) because the expectation is something that he cannot deliver. Because of his "huge contract", we do not see him for what he is, only what he is not. He can charge whatever he chooses, but I would not even consider visiting him unless he was 1/2 the price.

I agree wholeheartedly that the work of other doctors on this site exceeds that of Dr. Rassman. However, Dr. Rassman's work is consistently good, occasionally great, and rarely unacceptable.

I will never attack someone for not liking his work. My goal in commenting on this thread is to ensure that it is only his work that is being judged, and nothing else.

thana,

I too am disappointed that some physicians do not meet the minimum documentation standards. At this point, there is no excuse for all clinics to not post at least the basic photo angles. All examples of work that do not meet those requirements should be graded either an "I", for incomplete, or an F. I would vote for the latter.

Originally posted by vincehair:

Also we all know that without that stupid womens hair band his only styling option could possible be the dreaded "comb-over" I doubt that would even look that great.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Tightly pulling the hair back before taking pictures honestly has always seemed like a deceptive tactic to me. It's almost like a set of "after" pictures featuring wet, slicked back hair (which are equally useless). Even though pictures like this purport to expose the real result, pulling or smashing the hair back usually attempts to make the hairline appear stronger/result seem denser IMO, especially when it's the only view offered.

Even after a lackluster result from my fist transplant, I could tightly pull my hair back and it looked leagues better than when it was naturally styled.

This might be a great result, but it's only natural to suspect otherwise based on the photo presentation. Thanatopsis hit the nail on the head as usual.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Thana,

Well said-here here...You articulated the point exactly. Why can't clinics post proper documentation and clear pictures with multiple angles??? Some clinics do this, and we all know who they are... However, most don't. Is taking a picture that hard? As for posting videos-that is a whole other animal. In this arena H&w is outstanding as well as Feller and kudos to SMG.

Wouldn't it be easy to create a simple SOP for this forum. Something to think about.

TC17,

Your honesty concerning Dr Rassman's results is spot on-at least from my point of view-LOL...

You, Thana, & younsuccess are spot on about documentation and pics-

Take Care guys,

Vincehair,

I was sharing your comments with my wife and she was cracking up about your comment regarding the pink hair band. Though she did say, she is happy to read that I had more decorum in my post. Anyway vincehair, thanks for the comdedic tone in your post. It was funny...

Best,

Dr.Rassman I think the best way to maybe change your critics mind on how poor this patient's results are is to post better and after pictures with out the hairband and some good hairline pictures and also some pictures with the patients head down. Let us some none deceiving pictures what do you think Doc?

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice