High hairline correlation with baldness...

• Administrators

No, I think high hairlines are similar in the sense that they are genetic. But high hairlines do not equal hair loss. Though, it should be noted, high hairlines are different than the typical recession. Many believe they’re born with high hairlines, but are in denial.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You can usually tell imo if you have a high hairline or not if you check your photos from when you were a kid. Some people just naturally are born with it higher, some very low and some with a medium hairline. 

I think an often overlooked factor on a "high" hairline or lower is actually the overall shape of your head. For example, some people could have a circa 6-7cm glabella to hairline but looks bigger than somebody else which might be even higher due to the shape of their head and the optical illusion that can create on perspective. 

Personally i think the frontalis muscle is also a good indicator for where you should place your hairline. 

I saw a picture of Zoomster from the Eugenix videos and his is literally sat on the very top of his with nary a gap, because his frontalis muscle goes up quite high and even though his hairline is appropriate it just goes to show you how you need to take a holistic approach to hairline design. No two patients are the same. Just similarities. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

No, I think high hairlines are similar in the sense that they are genetic. But high hairlines do not equal hair loss. Though, it should be noted, high hairlines are different than the typical recession. Many believe they’re born with high hairlines, but are in denial.

Interesting. I definitely had the hairline when young, but it's fair to say I also had some denial with regards to the thinning...

16 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

My older brother was born with a big forehead and still pretty much has the same hairline as an adult. I was born with a big head but with a low hairline that started to pull back pretty quickly after puberty and I have worse hair than him.

ah, that's interesting. Most people i know with low hairlines often seem to have the density too. 

16 hours ago, NARMAK said:

You can usually tell imo if you have a high hairline or not if you check your photos from when you were a kid. Some people just naturally are born with it higher, some very low and some with a medium hairline. 

I think an often overlooked factor on a "high" hairline or lower is actually the overall shape of your head. For example, some people could have a circa 6-7cm glabella to hairline but looks bigger than somebody else which might be even higher due to the shape of their head and the optical illusion that can create on perspective. 

Personally i think the frontalis muscle is also a good indicator for where you should place your hairline. 

I saw a picture of Zoomster from the Eugenix videos and his is literally sat on the very top of his with nary a gap, because his frontalis muscle goes up quite high and even though his hairline is appropriate it just goes to show you how you need to take a holistic approach to hairline design. No two patients are the same. Just similarities. 

To be honest, i always had the high hairline, and remember being mocked for ot once when i was like 13 / 14. For such reasons, i have ALWAYS had a fringe to camouflage it, but was unable to keep rocking the fringe as the hair thinned in my 20s. 

As for looking at photos, it is indeed interesting, because the juvenile hairline i had at 16, while high, the lower part of it (which is no longer here) was made predominantly of 'vellus hairs', so i guess looking back it seemed pretty obvious it was gonna go. Now the hairs that remain are fine, but less of the 'vellus nature' which comprised the hairs that were once there

12 minutes ago, follically challenged said:

To be honest, i always had the high hairline, and remember being mocked for ot once when i was like 13 / 14. For such reasons, i have ALWAYS had a fringe to camouflage it, but was unable to keep rocking the fringe as the hair thinned in my 20s. 

As for looking at photos, it is indeed interesting, because the juvenile hairline i had at 16, while high, the lower part of it (which is no longer here) was made predominantly of 'vellus hairs', so i guess looking back it seemed pretty obvious it was gonna go. Now the hairs that remain are fine, but less of the 'vellus nature' which comprised the hairs that were once there

Watch this and it explains really well where the hairline should be positioned naturally for appearance but just remember that your level of hair loss is also a huge factor. 

Just because you had a medium hairline etc. when younger doesn't mean it's appropriate to have it there again if you went slick bald at 25 for example. Your hair loss means you have to plan accordingly. 

Even if not losing hair, you have to take into account lowering it takes up a bunch of grafts and what that means for you long term if you lose the natural hair. Especially if not on medication like Finasteride etc. 

Watc

• Like 1

• Administrators

An issue I see is a lot, is people will say “I was born with a high hairline,” and then show a picture of them as a toddler, when their hair barely started to grow.

You should always look at your hairline as a teenager or child. There’s also a difference between having a big rounded forehead and high hairline. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I was born with a big forehead that was the same in my 30s as when I was 19, and I remember being teased a bit on it when I was like 12.

So no, hairline height and balding don’t necessarily correlate at all.

That said, it’s possible some ethnic groups have higher rates of balding than others, and people of different ethnic groups tend to have different hairline heights, so maybe there is some association. 

Check out my journey here: