Neck Hair

Genuinely curious question I grow an insane amount of neck hair. Like enough you could create facial hair for people. I also have facial hair but I kind of want to do laser hair removal because I’m tired of shaving neck hair. Where could neck hair be used. I am a Norwood 3 and could definitely go further but where do they use neck hair? Like would I be fine getting rid of it or can it be used for hairline/temple/crown? Thanks

More likely in the crown…BTW, how does your crown look?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 1/28/2022 at 5:57 PM, gillenator said:

More likely in the crown…BTW, how does your crown look?

This is my crown. I am 22 though so a lot could change take finasteride 1mg daily for 1 year. Moms side went bald at this time dad and his dad no further balding past maybe Norwood 3 but that didn’t happen until well into their 60s.

Edited by Hans - Webmaster
Removed images for privacy reasons

Baldingat22,

i’m a little unsure about what you are asking. Are you saying that because you have exceptionally thick neck hair that you want to use it for transplanting? Based on your photos, and I believe I’ve seen and responded to a post of yours on another topic… You do not seem to be a candidate for hair transplant surgery. Not only are you exceptionally young, but you don’t seem to have any signs of hair loss.  That very well may be a cowlick and not thinning hair.  Even if it is minor thinning, I would suggest using medical treatment such as finasteride and minoxidil at this point. I do not believe you are a candidate for surgery at this time.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

If down the line you start having temple and front hairline recession than nape hair might be an option, as long as there truly are no signs of your neck area "balding upwards" in a NW6/7 pattern.  If you start to have strong hair loss back there then there is no point using it as donor since it will not stay permanently anywhere else it gets transferred to.  I'd wait and see if you actually do suffer hair loss and re-assess at that point.  From what you've shown there doesn't seem to be anything to address right now.

4 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Baldingat22,

i’m a little unsure about what you are asking. Are you saying that because you have exceptionally thick neck hair that you want to use it for transplanting? Based on your photos, and I believe I’ve seen and responded to a post of yours on another topic… You do not seem to be a candidate for hair transplant surgery. Not only are you exceptionally young, but you don’t seem to have any signs of hair loss.  That very well may be a cowlick and not thinning hair.  Even if it is minor thinning, I would suggest using medical treatment such as finasteride and minoxidil at this point. I do not believe you are a candidate for surgery at this time.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

I’m mostly asking would neck hair ever be used in procedure. I am not bald yet in the crown(probably because I’m still pretty young(22)) but I do shave once a week and hate shaving my neck hair so I was looking into laser hair removal so I wouldn’t have to use the razor down that far. I just didn’t want to go through with something like that and then one day need that neck hair potentially for a Hair Transplant or Eyebrow Transplant procedure. I mainly ask because I didn’t know if in modern day HT neck hair is used at all and if so then I would forgo getting rid of it and keep it in case I balled further and did not have enough grafts in donor area to support that balding.

4 hours ago, AB2000 said:

If down the line you start having temple and front hairline recession than nape hair might be an option, as long as there truly are no signs of your neck area "balding upwards" in a NW6/7 pattern.  If you start to have strong hair loss back there then there is no point using it as donor since it will not stay permanently anywhere else it gets transferred to.  I'd wait and see if you actually do suffer hair loss and re-assess at that point.  From what you've shown there doesn't seem to be anything to address right now.

Thank you I’ll probably just hold off. My hairline is recessed Norwood 3 but my crown is minimal if any hair loss currently. But at 22 and having a grandpa who went bald around then I assume it definitely will progress further so don’t want to get rid of hair that could be used

Ba22,

Please allow me to address the specific question you have regarding "neck hair"...that hair is typically referred to as "nape hair" and yes, some docs have used it as donor hair because of its softer texture.

BUT A WORD OF CAUTION:  Nape hair can be potentially lost in the future with some individuals...so I have always advised younger guys to look at the older men in their families on both sides...if the men tend to lose their nape hair as they age, then it's probable that you will too...having said that, if the men tend to retain their nape hair, that's a good sign that you will not lose it.

It does appear that you have the beginning signs of diffusion in the very center of the whirl in your crown...keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, then low dose finasteride works very efficiently in the crown...discuss with your doctor.

• Like 2

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Avoid nape hair.  The fragile the hair, the less likely it can survive extraction and these hairs have terrible cycles and most folks lose them as they age.  Very low survival and can cause more issues.  

Medical treatments are your best bet right now.  You definitely do not want to plant anything in heavy native hair zone either.  It can cause shockloss to existing hairs as well.  

Be very cautious of any individual as they may have incentives to push you to surgery with their surgeon.  Best of luck.   

• Like 2

21 hours ago, gillenator said:

Ba22,

Please allow me to address the specific question you have regarding "neck hair"...that hair is typically referred to as "nape hair" and yes, some docs have used it as donor hair because of its softer texture.

BUT A WORD OF CAUTION:  Nape hair can be potentially lost in the future with some individuals...so I have always advised younger guys to look at the older men in their families on both sides...if the men tend to lose their nape hair as they age, then it's probable that you will too...having said that, if the men tend to retain their nape hair, that's a good sign that you will not lose it.

It does appear that you have the beginning signs of diffusion in the very center of the whirl in your crown...keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, then low dose finasteride works very efficiently in the crown...discuss with your doctor.

Thank you and all others that posted. Yes that was my biggest worry is if I recede further it will be potentially needed in the crown. As it appears my dad and grandpa and moms dad shave a lot so I could never really tell but my dad does appear to have stubble in his nape. I currently take low dose finasteride(1mg) sometimes I worry my body may get tolerated to that and I’ll lose so I started taking that at 21 but who knows maybe I should do dut. Either way it appears the nape hair really doesn’t have much effects in future hair transplants so I may go ahead an laser remove it for my sanity lol 

On 1/28/2022 at 6:36 PM, Baldingat22 said:

I’m mostly asking would neck hair ever be used in procedure. I am not bald yet in the crown(probably because I’m still pretty young(22)) but I do shave once a week and hate shaving my neck hair so I was looking into laser hair removal so I wouldn’t have to use the razor down that far. I just didn’t want to go through with something like that and then one day need that neck hair potentially for a Hair Transplant or Eyebrow Transplant procedure. I mainly ask because I didn’t know if in modern day HT neck hair is used at all and if so then I would forgo getting rid of it and keep it in case I balled further and did not have enough grafts in donor area to support that balding.

@Baldingat22

i’m honestly not convinced that you are balding at this stage. If you’re really concerned, I suggest consulting a dermatologist who can perform a hair miniaturization test and evaluate your scalp under magnification to see if you’re actually thinning. In the picture, I see it what looks like a natural cowlick or your natural whorl pattern but not actual signs of baldness or thinning.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Definitely get your scalp microscopically examined to detect miniaturization and any meaningful signs of diffusion, AND exactly where it is located.

Gillenator

Potentially it can be more visible because nape hair is not as dense as scalp hair...in addition it depends on the type of tool or instrument used to harvest the hair, and lastly, the physiology of the individual relative to healing.

Gillenator