what vitamins are people taking for hair

• 1 year later...
  • Valued Contributor

@rumblefish7194

I would say taking too much supplements without any kind of deficiency can also effects negatively so imo doing reports of all the hairloss related vitamins should be done prior to taking them...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

I was using something called Alpecin but I heard/read that it isn't all that effective for hair growth. There's quite a few on here who recommend Nizoral. I use that now myself. I've been using it twice a week for the past six months but am unsure if it's had any benefits. Others may be able to shed more light.

I'm on Saw Palmetto 320mg/daily

Rosemary Leaf Extract 700mg/daily

MSM 1500mg/daily

Regular Head & Shoulders shampoo with Nizoral 2% once per week. 

Very pleased with the hair situation ATM.

The above supplements are the only ones -to the best of my knowledge- that have studies backing their limited efficacy. As someone who has wasted a considerable amount of money on pure snake oil during my early stages of hair loss, I would caution you against buying ANY 'miracle herbal cure' or other overpriced 'brand name' product. Instead, look at the ingredients. 99% of the time you can find nice generic brands that will have the same efficacy/ingredients as what you need. 

• Valued Contributor

@Sunset Dune

Generally doctors advice to use baby shampoo for 1 month so that the the chemicals in normal shampoo don't infect/irritate the scalp....so i think after one month you can use ketoconazol shampoo 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Vitamin D3 - 10,000 units once or twice a month according to my vitamin D levels. I was deficient first and took 10k units twice a week, now a little over recommended level so reduced to only once a month. Extremely important vitamin, I had a massive burst of growth after correcting deficiency.

Biotin, iron, folic acid, multi vitamins with minerals.

Finasteride 1 mg daily

Anti-oxidants every now and then. I don’t know if they help or damage hair growth but I take them for general well being. 

Avoid vitamin A. Once or twice a week perhaps. Vitamin A isn’t a good vitamin for hairs but for eyes/skin it’s fantastic so I do take it but mostly avoid. 

Nizoral shampoo

Thats pretty much it. I think Finasteride and Vitamin D are the real game changer. Biotin makes my hair and nails grow really quick but idk if it helps new hair pop up.

@rumblefish7194,

I’m sure a number of individuals have given you information on various treatments and vitamins they use for their hair. That said, I do feel compelled to say that there are no nonsurgical solutions nor vitamins that are proven to grow hair in completely bald areas.

At best, some of the proven treatments, such as finasteride and minoxidil can help to slow down, stop, or even reverse some of the effects of male pattern baldness by thickening some of the miniaturizing hairs in the process of disappearing. That said, only hair transplant surgery is proven to grow hair and completely bald areas.

In general, vitamins are good for the hair, scalp and body, but they won’t do anything to stop the effects of androgenetic, alopecia, a.k.a. male pattern, baldness 

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I take vitamin D3 a multi vitamin and biotin 10mcg daily along with 15ml liquid collagen twice a day. I also use a good quality shampoo and conditioner and use nizoral shampoo once a week I notice this keeps my scalp quite healthy I used to get dandruff but not anymore 

• Like 1