First haircut questions

I think everyone is different. In a no shave FUT, I had a very minor trim after a month just to tidy things up. Barber was very careful to cut around donor and recipient. A month after that I got another careful trim. My take is that you are better waiting as long as possible as the least amount of disruption the better. Of course, ask your Clinic.

Question to those that perhaps just let their hair grow wild if they buzzed it down at procedure time. 

Did you eventually decide, okay i'm just gonna let it grow as long as possible for 12 months? 

I'm literally thinking of whether i could do that lol. 

Make a full on 12 month transformation with that long unkempt hair lol

Chances101,

in my opinion, it’s best to wait until the the transplanted hair / grafts are secure before getting your first haircut at least in the recipient area.  That usually only takes a couple days but to be safe I suggest waiting at least a week to 10 days.

That said, I literally shaved the sides and back of my head only 2 days after my third procedure. I was just very careful not to run the clippers over staples / wound.  With FUE, there are no staples or sutures however, since the area will be tender, if you are using clippers or scissors to cut hair in the donor area, just use caution and be careful.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On average, shock loss usually occurs 4-6 weeks post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

7 hours ago, gillenator said:

On average, shock loss usually occurs 4-6 weeks post-op.

Wow, that's gonna be shocking for some. Thinking you were doing fine and then that hits harder than even an expected shed. 

8 hours ago, Chances101 said:

When does it usually return? 

After shock loss happens, it does not "return" persay, but there can be shed cycles occurring after the procedure fully matures.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It also depends on what type of haircut you're planning to get. Every surgeon has different guidelines for this, but the grafts are completely secure by Day 10, and as long as the stylist/barber is being mindful not to irritate the scalp, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get a haircut at that stage. 

Tbh, I buzzed mine myself with clippers a week or so after my procedure because I wanted all the hairs to grow in uniformly at the same time, and I hated having the extra hair on top that I originally wanted them to leave. Then I kept it buzzed pretty short for the first 3 months or so until I started seeing growth, at which point I left it alone and let it all start growing the same length. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

1 hour ago, pkipling said:

It also depends on what type of haircut you're planning to get. Every surgeon has different guidelines for this, but the grafts are completely secure by Day 10, and as long as the stylist/barber is being mindful not to irritate the scalp, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get a haircut at that stage. 

Tbh, I buzzed mine myself with clippers a week or so after my procedure because I wanted all the hairs to grow in uniformly at the same time, and I hated having the extra hair on top that I originally wanted them to leave. Then I kept it buzzed pretty short for the first 3 months or so until I started seeing growth, at which point I left it alone and let it all start growing the same length. 

I honestly never remember rocking a buzz cut, like ever. I'm gonna probably have it buzzed down for the surgery and then i figure keeping it buzzed like you for maybe the first 3 months. 

That said, i'm also curious to see how it would turn out just letting it all grow out however and whatever post-HT