FUE scars on a fully shaved head?

Does anyone have pictures they could share of what FUE scars look when someone has to razor shave their head? Google images is showing wildly different pictures on how noticable scars are...

I'm planning for a HT and am trying to think about worst case scenarios where I'd need to shave my head in 10+ years. What might I look like if I ultimately needed to share after surgery? Think this is important to know so patients can better account for the risk / reward of surgery, but haven't seen many topics on it.

Thanks all!

• Administrators

I recently shaved my head, I was pleasantly surprised to see how well I scarred after having 3 FUE surgeries. Keep in mind, everyone scars differently. Just because my scars look this way, does not mean your scars will look this way. 

IMG_4594.JPGIMG_4704.JPGIMG_4702.JPG

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

17 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I recently shaved my head, I was pleasantly surprised to see how well I scarred after having 3 FUE surgeries. Keep in mind, everyone scars differently. Just because my scars look this way, does not mean your scars will look this way. 

IMG_4594.JPGIMG_4704.JPGIMG_4702.JPG

Honestly, at a glance. I couldn't even see any scars. It's not fully shaved razor blade down but even then, i don't know if the lines covering it or whether you had SMP, but that looks damn good. 

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Honestly, at a glance. I couldn't even see any scars. It's not fully shaved razor blade down but even then, i don't know if the lines covering it or whether you had SMP, but that looks damn good. 

No smp, I just scar well. I’ll be posting the head shave on my YouTube shortly. If you look closely you’ll see scars, but not as much. I feel like I could shave now and barely see scars.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Wow that looks fantastic @Melvin- Moderator! Its not shaved down fully, but I'm hard pressed to notice any scarring at all!

Know its partly genetics, but I wonder what else influences whether or not scars are visible. Punch size? Would love to have the piece of mind going into surgery knowing I can shave down to zero in the future if things turned out disastrously... 

Grouse,

keep in mind that everybody will look different with a shaved head depending on many factors. This includes the number of grafts you had extracted, how closely or spaced apart the grafts extracted were, skin color, patient physiology which includes how well a patient heals, punch size, etc.  But the truth is, with a completely shaved head, you will likely see scarring although it might be quite minimal.  Truth is, anybody who plans to completely shave their head should probably not undergo hair transplant surgery at all. Scalp micropigmentation might be a better option.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

4 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Grouse,

keep in mind that everybody will look different with a shaved head depending on many factors. This includes the number of grafts you had extracted, how closely or spaced apart the grafts extracted were, skin color, patient physiology which includes how well a patient heals, punch size, etc.  But the truth is, with a completely shaved head, you will likely see scarring although it might be quite minimal.  Truth is, anybody who plans to completely shave their head should probably not undergo hair transplant surgery at all. Scalp micropigmentation might be a better option.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Thanks Rahal. I agree that planning to shave and having a HT is a recipe for disaster.

Before I decide to do a procedure or not, I want to understand what I might reasonably look like if a transplant completely fails or otherwise doesn't take and I need to shave 10 years down the line. 

Trying to understand the risk / reward tradeoff a bit more!

As RHT stated, there are numerous factors involved as to how visible the scarring will be post-op especially with larger FUE cases…and as much as we want to know how things will look, that’s very difficult to ascertain.

So the trade-off is choosing how important it is to gain hair restoration and at the same time living with the scars…some of us just won’t be able to shave or wear a short buzz cut.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Here you see a partly razor shaved scalp. If you look closely you can see the scars. 

This is after ±2000 grafts. I would classify his scarring as normal. 

Your skin type and color makes a big difference in how the scarring could appear. I.e. if you have a darker skin, the scarring can likely be more noticeable. 

IMG-20210306-WA0007.jpg

On 1/13/2022 at 12:27 PM, DrMunibAhmad said:

Here you see a partly razor shaved scalp. If you look closely you can see the scars. 

This is after ±2000 grafts. I would classify his scarring as normal. 

Your skin type and color makes a big difference in how the scarring could appear. I.e. if you have a darker skin, the scarring can likely be more noticeable. 

IMG-20210306-WA0007.jpg

This is extremely helpful, thank you Dr! I’d be thrilled with that much scarring. 

Hopeful that I’d never need to shave down fully, but it’s good to plan ahead for a worst case 👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 12:06 AM, Baldingat22 said:

I get hypertrophic scarring pretty easily I’d say I don’t scar well does that mean I should not undergo a Ht?

I’m here wondering the same thing. I didn’t realise hypertrophic scarring was a thing until a clinic asked about keloid/hypertrophic and I realised my scars from various accidents are leaning towards this condition. Can i ask what are your scars like? Google tends to have extreme examples. I might start a topic on it.