FUE with Dr. Woessner at Gulf Coast Hair Restoration in New Orleans

Hi all,

I am 24M and will be having a transplant procedure done at the clinic listed in the title. I have met with Dr. Woessner multiple times and have trust in him. I wanted to post the clinic here in case there are any glaring red flags I am missing. The clinics I went to quoted me for not as many grafts as I believed I needed, but Dr. Woessner was more on target and also was a more reasonable price then the other doctors I met with. I have apprehension going abroad to get a procedure. 

I am planning on getting 2800 FUE. I should be an interesting case study because I currently wear a hair system.

Any input would be appreciated.

011FEA1E-7AEC-4ACF-9990-DE4ADB772FD2.jpeg

B9B257B0-E11B-4B16-A133-C9E6C7355F07.jpeg

1DBBDD33-D54F-456D-A571-D7D179F41116.jpeg

Edited by Hans - Webmaster
External link removed.
  • Sad 1

Have you actually seen a single patient posted journey ? This Dr has been mentioned before on the forum, but we have never seen a result.

Why do you have trust in him ? Even the Cherry picked results on the website are not exactly all that good. 

Choose a Clinic/Dr which does have a proven track record and a history of consistent results. Full 12 month patient posted journeys on a forum such as this are the best ! Not relying on Google, Yelp, trustpilot and all the other online reviews which are not reliable in the slightest.

Check out the forums tried and tested recommended list:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

Don’t risk your finite valuable donor area on a unknown/risky Dr. 

• Like 1

You loss is extensive for such a young age (2nd pic) you would do well In considering someone like Eugenix who excel in the higher Norwood levels. Hattingen/Hasson + Wong someone who could also maximise your donor area, your going to need to plan well. Are you on Fin/Minox ? 
Biggest errors are basing a procedure on location, price and availability. If you have a decent choice close then great, if not be prepared to travel. And if you don’t have enough funds to choose the right Dr/Clinic then save more. Honestly it’s just not worth any risk. 

Edited by JC71
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor
49 minutes ago, louisianatransplant said:

I have apprehension going abroad to get a procedure. 

I have serious apprehension if you don't!! Or at the very least listen to John and look at quite a few surgeons who specialize in Norwood 6 cases. At 24 are you on finasteride to stabilize your hair loss? That's the first thing I would be looking at (if you are not already) before surgery.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

I have serious apprehension if you don't!! Or at the very least listen to John and look at quite a few surgeons who specialize in Norwood 6 cases. At 24 are you on finasteride to stabilize your hair loss? That's the first thing I would be looking at (if you are not already) before surgery.

Exactly this. Stabilise you loss first, in the meantime research a decent clinic who is best likely to give you the best result for your particular needs. This is going to be a clinic who is capable in the higher Norwood levels. Eugenix, Zarev, Bisanga, Hattingen, H+W, Fuegenix, @DrTBarghouthi(Vertex) just for some examples !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, louisianatransplant said:

Yes. I can’t always tell 100%, because like I said, I currently have a hair system.

So, what now? I was excited but this thread sort of made me lose my excitement. 

Get some consulting done with some other clinics which are forum recommended (link above) I saw that you wasn’t keen on travelling which I can understand. Just that some of the best work for the higher Norwood levels happen to be elsewhere abroad. Have a look through the forum for Norwood 5/6 cases from the US Drs/clinics. It is a exciting time in getting a hair transplant but it’s also fraught with dangers and red flags along the way. 

6 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Do you let your native hair grow under the hair piece or do you shave? BTW I wore a hair piece for 25 years.

My hair grows underneath, it gets shaved every 3-4 weeks when it is reapplied.

I really felt comfortable with Dr. Woessner. He seemed knowledgeable and confident, as well as understand with my situation. I went to many doctors, who quoted me between 1250-2000 grafts, which I know is ridiculous. I have corresponded with many clinics abroad who have quoted me more, and obviously are cheaper, but I would rather pay for a procedure I know the doctor is going to do.

I also understand the potential of future hair loss. I want a conservative hairline. One that would look normal when I’m 30. Not the hairline of a 14 year old that is received in Turkey, etc. Also, I understand the need for a potential second procedure in the future. I agree that 2800 seems like the right amount to achieve this.

20 minutes ago, louisianatransplant said:

My hair grows underneath, it gets shaved every 3-4 weeks when it is reapplied.

I really felt comfortable with Dr. Woessner. He seemed knowledgeable and confident, as well as understand with my situation. I went to many doctors, who quoted me between 1250-2000 grafts, which I know is ridiculous. I have corresponded with many clinics abroad who have quoted me more, and obviously are cheaper, but I would rather pay for a procedure I know the doctor is going to do.

I also understand the potential of future hair loss. I want a conservative hairline. One that would look normal when I’m 30. Not the hairline of a 14 year old that is received in Turkey, etc. Also, I understand the need for a potential second procedure in the future. I agree that 2800 seems like the right amount to achieve this.

I have met with doctors with great bedside manners who had just entered the industry.  Had no clue what they were doing.  So, my first question...Did you ask the doctor where he learned where to do this? 

In that first paragraph you do bring up something which we hardly discuss but is important, "a procedure I know the doctor is going to do." Think about what happens the day of the procedure.  You arrive, meet with the doctor, designs the hairline, answers your questions, etc.  The clinical staff preps you and a local is administered.  You then fall asleep and the last thing you remember is the clinical staff placing the grafts.  (You did not realize the doctor made sites, etc). When you finally wake up, the staff is still working on you - and you are now under the impression the doctor did nothing). 

It is important to realize it is typically the doctor who will do everything surgery related.  Make sure to find out what exactly the doctor will do.  In some clinics the tech will be performing the surgery.  

If you do end up moving fwd, let us know the total number of grafts harvested.  Need and what can be realistically harvested are two different things.  

Like others have suggested, get on a medical regimen to help you retain.  Try doing more than just one modality.

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

5 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

I have met with doctors with great bedside manners who had just entered the industry.  Had no clue what they were doing.  So, my first question...Did you ask the doctor where he learned where to do this? 

In that first paragraph you do bring up something which we hardly discuss but is important, "a procedure I know the doctor is going to do." Think about what happens the day of the procedure.  You arrive, meet with the doctor, designs the hairline, answers your questions, etc.  The clinical staff preps you and a local is administered.  You then fall asleep and the last thing you remember is the clinical staff placing the grafts.  (You did not realize the doctor made sites, etc). When you finally wake up, the staff is still working on you - and you are now under the impression the doctor did nothing). 

It is important to realize it is typically the doctor who will do everything surgery related.  Make sure to find out what exactly the doctor will do.  In some clinics the tech will be performing the surgery.  

If you do end up moving fwd, let us know the total number of grafts harvested.  Need and what can be realistically harvested are two different things.  

Like others have suggested, get on a medical regimen to help you retain.  Try doing more than just one modality.

He has performing hair transplants for 20 years.

I have been on finasterside and have been for four years. Additionally, I will add rogaine back to my regimen after the procedure. I currently cannot apply it due to the hair system.

Which other clinics did you go too? Personally I would say you need 3k plus at least to address the frontal third alone. 
The Dr your looking at does not even do just hair transplants, you need someone who is doing this every day. And has results you can actually see. 15+ years of experience off/on yet we don’t have a single clinic or patient posted journey here on the forum. Those are red flags. If you was to consult with the recommended clinics I’m sure you would get realistic graft numbers and a plan you can be happy with. I’m just trying to give you the heads up on how risky this is. We only have one donor area. All too often people make a mistake In choosing a unknown quantity. Can he put you in touch with some of his patients .? Can you see any other results apart from the cherry picked on his website ? It’s not often the case we are lucky enough to have a decent clinic In our back yard. I’m not being harsh here just you need to be aware that your looking at potentially poor choice, when you do have other clinics who are actually proven and consistent who are within your reach. 

Edited by JC71

• Administrators

Are you here for advice? Or to tell us how great a particular surgeon with zero reviews is? 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

To be blunt, no one here is going to recommend this doctor as no one has a clue who he is, and certainly no one has seen any patient posted results. This is the red flag you're missing that you ask about in your first post.

Some on here know the names of pretty much every respected surgeon across the world, of course that doesn't mean that we know all of them and that if we've never heard of them before then they are no good, I'm sure there are docs out there who are unknown that do good work, but they would be few and far between. It's a big risk, and a completely unnecessary one at that.

A hair transplant is something you need to get right the first time and so we recommend choosing based off of established reputation/skill and not because the doc seems nice and is local to you. The truth is that he's unlikely to be very good and that you will likely have a mediocre result at best. You seem to want confirmation that he is a good choice though and don't seem to want to listen to reason, so why are you asking for advice if you're so adamant?

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, JDEE0 said:

To be blunt, no one here is going to recommend this doctor as no one has a clue who he is, and certainly no one has seen any patient posted results. This is the red flag you're missing that you ask about in your first post.

Some on here know the names of pretty much every respected surgeon across the world, of course that doesn't mean that we know all of them and that if we've never heard of them before then they are no good, I'm sure there are docs out there who are unknown that do good work, but they would be few and far between. It's a big risk, and a completely unnecessary one at that.

A hair transplant is something you need to get right the first time and so we recommend choosing based off of established reputation/skill and not because the doc seems nice and is local to you. The truth is that he's unlikely to be very good and that you will likely have a mediocre result at best. You seem to want confirmation that he is a good choice though and don't seem to want to listen to reason, so why are you asking for advice if you're so adamant?

Covert promoting is the only logical explanation.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

14 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Covert promoting is the only logical explanation.

Tragically, this is not covert promoting.

I am reading everything you are all saying very carefully. I understand I am coming across as defensive... I more meant to provide my justification of why I originally went to this doctor, so you didn't think I picked a name out of a hat. I deeply appreciate all of your advice and words, and I fully recognize all of the concerns you are having. One reason why I was adamant was because this was a doctor I found who was amenable to my time table, was close-by, and reasonable in price. But, I was not 100% on this doctor. I would have given the money already if so.

Your advice is sound - why risk the money and grafts on a doctor with no posted results when there are doctors with posted results who I know will complete the job to my liking?

I just don't know where to go from here. I want this operation done yesterday, lol. I (obviously) am located in Louisiana. If I stuck to the list on this website, I would have to get on a plane. I don't have the luxury of being able to get on a plane anytime soon. I have been in contact with Dr. Nader, which would not be a terrible drive, but his communication is mediocre at best. I can barely even get ahold of their clinic.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, louisianatransplant said:

Tragically, this is not covert promoting.

I am reading everything you are all saying very carefully. I understand I am coming across as defensive... I more meant to provide my justification of why I originally went to this doctor, so you didn't think I picked a name out of a hat. I deeply appreciate all of your advice and words, and I fully recognize all of the concerns you are having. One reason why I was adamant was because this was a doctor I found who was amenable to my time table, was close-by, and reasonable in price. But, I was not 100% on this doctor. I would have given the money already if so.

Your advice is sound - why risk the money and grafts on a doctor with no posted results when there are doctors with posted results who I know will complete the job to my liking?

I just don't know where to go from here. I want this operation done yesterday, lol. I (obviously) am located in Louisiana. If I stuck to the list on this website, I would have to get on a plane. I don't have the luxury of being able to get on a plane anytime soon. I have been in contact with Dr. Nader, which would not be a terrible drive, but his communication is mediocre at best. I can barely even get ahold of their clinic.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Rushing into surgery is the biggest mistake you can make. Hair transplants are a lifelong commitment not some quick fix. I have firsthand experience 

View my thread

Dr Nader is most certainly worth pursuing. Another red flag is when a clinic is able to fit you in easily. The decent clinics are busy and usually booked up in advance. 
If you let us know the areas your willing to travel too, then we can give some more suggestions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JC71 said:

Dr Nader is most certainly worth pursuing. Another red flag is when a clinic is able to fit you in easily. The decent clinics are busy and usually booked up in advance. 
If you let us know the areas your willing to travel too, then we can give some more suggestions. 

I am located in the South. Something in Houston would be great. I was in communication with Arocha, but they claimed that "most people do not have 3000 grafts to use" from their donor supply. Additionally, it would be upwards of 20 thousand.

3 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Rushing into surgery is the biggest mistake you can make. Hair transplants are a lifelong commitment not some quick fix. I have firsthand experience 

Thanks for this. I just want this damn hair system off my head, lol. Also, I'm coming into a period at work where I will not be able to travel/take time off between January and May. Which sucks, which is why I was hoping to get this done before then.

• Administrators
Just now, louisianatransplant said:

I am located in the South. Something in Houston would be great. I was in communication with Arocha, but they claimed that "most people do not have 3000 grafts to use" from their donor supply. Additionally, it would be upwards of 20 thousand.

Thanks for this. I just want this damn hair system off my head, lol. Also, I'm coming into a period at work where I will not be able to travel/take time off between January and May. Which sucks, which is why I was hoping to get this done before then.

Never put a time limit on something that will affect your appearance for the rest of your life TRUST me! 

View my thread