Thin hair when wet

Whufcdanny95

12 minutes ago, Whufcdanny95 said:

I'm very happy with my transplant result almost 3 years later. Looks spot on, however when hairs wet it looks completely different and much thinner. Is that often the case after a transplant ? I guess it'll never be 100% perfect 

Yea that’s the case, because your transplanted density will usually be no more than half of your original density - when dry, and at a strategic length, the illusion is very good. 

The illusion struggles to hold up in certain conditions - wet hair and bright lights being two of the harshest. 

Just to finish - non balding hair also looks thinner when wet, the hair is clumped together, therefore showing more scalp. 

If it’s that bothersome - look into going for a second pass to add further density to the areas of concern. 

1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

Yea that’s the case, because your transplanted density will usually be no more than half of your original density - when dry, and at a strategic length, the illusion is very good. 

The illusion struggles to hold up in certain conditions - wet hair and bright lights being two of the harshest. 

Just to finish - non balding hair also looks thinner when wet, the hair is clumped together, therefore showing more scalp. 

If it’s that bothersome - look into going for a second pass to add further density to the areas of concern. 

Ahh okay thankyou. I guess just using matte finish stylers is important aswell then! Not bothersome, just feel happy with it then see it in the mirror after a shower and freak out a bit haha! 

Using dut and oral min to maintain so hopefully does the trick

3 hours ago, Whufcdanny95 said:

Ahh okay thankyou. I guess just using matte finish stylers is important aswell then! Not bothersome, just feel happy with it then see it in the mirror after a shower and freak out a bit haha! 

Using dut and oral min to maintain so hopefully does the trick

what matte finish products do you use?

• 2 weeks later...

The downside of a hair transplant is that it rarely re-creates “true density”.  In other words, natural hair density may be approximately 80 to 90 FU/cm2 while a hair transplant surgeon may only re-create half of that.  This is because even at only 50% density, one’s hair will appear thick and natural looking with only a mild appearance of thinning under harsh lighting.  Re-creating true density isn’t always possible because donor hair is limited and there’s usually a larger balding area to cover.

That said, hair will always appear much thinner when wet.  It also can appear thinner when hair is disheveled, not brushed and under harsh lighting.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hair always looks thinner when wet. This is true whether it’s natural hair or transplanted hair.  This is because hair clumps together when wet and exposes the spacing between the hair.  Since surgeons typically place hair at 50% of true density, the spacing between the hair is further apart, leaving hair look thinner when it’s clumped together which is what happens when hair is wet.  So yes, this is perfectly normal. That’s why hair transplant always look best when hair is dry and styled.

Best Wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators
On 12/31/2021 at 6:35 PM, dotdashdashdash said:

Thanks for starting this topic!

Any tricks for wet hair? I haven't really been to pools since covid, but I miss swimming. I guess just a swim cap?

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.