Dr. Diep - Office

Coverdale

I’m a 30 year old male who has been balding for roughly 6 years. I decided to get a HT and through the help of this forum made the decision to go with Dr. Diep in California. His results are stunning and he comes highly recommended, or so it appears. After going back and forth with his office, I’m rethinking my choice. I initially called his office just shy of two months ago to schedule a consult. I was scheduled for nearly 1.5 months out on “December 5th at 3pm”. The staff seemed nice and everything was going well. Two weeks shy of my appointment I looked at the schedule and realized that the 5th falls on a weekend. I immediately called to ask if they were open that day and was told they were not, received an apology and was informed that someone new must have spoken to me , I was told incorrect information (at this point I had been “scheduled” and waiting for my consult for about a month) and that I was not on the schedule, so they would find something open as soon as possible. Fortunately, they were able to schedule me for December 8th, 2021 at 4pm. I received the confirmation emails, followed the instruction given, and prepared for my appointment in two weeks. December 8th came and I never received the email for the zoom call. I called the office and asked for the email and was informed that I wasn’t on their schedule, once again. Sunna, the office worker that I spoke to was a delight and helped as best as she could. She seemed slightly confused that I wasn’t on the schedule and asked that I send the email that I received back to her so she could review it. I forwarded that confirmation email to her, which just caused further confusion, I’m sure, yet she rescheduled me for another consult (the 3rd one…) for today, December 9th, and I was told that it would occur between 3:30pm-4:30pm (an hour window, which wasn’t given on either of the two previous appointment windows. Perhaps because of lack of availability?). While I’m appreciative and thankful they’ve at least worked with me, I’m frustrated and concerned that such lack of detail, lack of office accountability and preparedness will carry over into the operation, caregiving, and recovery. It wasn’t requested, but I had grown my hair out for two weeks to more appropriately show my donor area (I normally keep a skin fade) and I have cleared my schedule twice now. I haven’t had this issue with any of the other facilities that I’ve completed consults with. Should I be concerned with the lack of what seems to be professionalism displayed by the office staff? Thank you for your opinions!

- Justin 

This is very typical for Dr. Diep as the office is super disorganized and all over the place. If you can look past these flaws and focus on the results, you will have your answer. I am not here to dissuade at all, but it's known that the front office staff are a bit incompetent because myself and others have also experienced the same with Diep. With that being said, look at the results to make your final determination. However, if the lack of organization scares you, then you may want to consider other surgeons. Diep has had his fair share of home runs and you can find plenty of great results/examples. You will also find some negative reviews, so just do your research. Hope this helps.

Edited by hybonix

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

While it's definitely not ideal and I understand that this could put a bad taste in your mouth, it's not indicative one way or the other of Dr. Diep being a bad choice - and at the end of the day, the results and the type of work he does should be the main focus. However, as Hybonix mentioned, only you can decide for yourself if the lack of organization on the front end is enough to deter you - and if you feel like it's enough for you to look elsewhere, I think that's perfectly valid. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Coverdale said:

I’m a 30 year old male who has been balding for roughly 6 years. I decided to get a HT and through the help of this forum made the decision to go with Dr. Diep in California. His results are stunning and he comes highly recommended, or so it appears. After going back and forth with his office, I’m rethinking my choice. I initially called his office just shy of two months ago to schedule a consult. I was scheduled for nearly 1.5 months out on “December 5th at 3pm”. The staff seemed nice and everything was going well. Two weeks shy of my appointment I looked at the schedule and realized that the 5th falls on a weekend. I immediately called to ask if they were open that day and was told they were not, received an apology and was informed that someone new must have spoken to me , I was told incorrect information (at this point I had been “scheduled” and waiting for my consult for about a month) and that I was not on the schedule, so they would find something open as soon as possible. Fortunately, they were able to schedule me for December 8th, 2021 at 4pm. I received the confirmation emails, followed the instruction given, and prepared for my appointment in two weeks. December 8th came and I never received the email for the zoom call. I called the office and asked for the email and was informed that I wasn’t on their schedule, once again. Sunna, the office worker that I spoke to was a delight and helped as best as she could. She seemed slightly confused that I wasn’t on the schedule and asked that I send the email that I received back to her so she could review it. I forwarded that confirmation email to her, which just caused further confusion, I’m sure, yet she rescheduled me for another consult (the 3rd one…) for today, December 9th, and I was told that it would occur between 3:30pm-4:30pm (an hour window, which wasn’t given on either of the two previous appointment windows. Perhaps because of lack of availability?). While I’m appreciative and thankful they’ve at least worked with me, I’m frustrated and concerned that such lack of detail, lack of office accountability and preparedness will carry over into the operation, caregiving, and recovery. It wasn’t requested, but I had grown my hair out for two weeks to more appropriately show my donor area (I normally keep a skin fade) and I have cleared my schedule twice now. I haven’t had this issue with any of the other facilities that I’ve completed consults with. Should I be concerned with the lack of what seems to be professionalism displayed by the office staff? Thank you for your opinions!

- Justin 

Sorry to hear about your experience, this is certainly an issue I'll be bringing to Dr. Diep's attention. If you feel comfortable feel free to pm me your name and I will reach out to him on your behalf. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Coverdale said:

Thanks @Melvin- Moderator. Do you have any thought on Dr. Robert Haber of Ohio? His Google page has about 46 reviews with 4 stars, but the negative reviews are mostly about derm issues. He’s not mentioned a lot on this forum, but he is recommended by it. 

He’s an excellent doctor as well, here’s our full listing of surgeons. Feel free to consult with many

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

@Melvin- Moderator Struggling with this decision. Haber has little reviews and fewer results, especially posted here, since 2016 (unless I’m looking in the wrong place). Diep, although highly recommended, I’d a bit abrasive and impatient, it seems. Which is understandable seeing that he sees so many clients and deals with so many individuals, but it still rubs you the wrong way. I have an upcoming consult with Haber. I cancelled my consult with Behman after reading more about him here, and a past consult with a facility in LA went well, but a technician does all the work, which led me to deciding to go against that location. Perhaps my expectations are too high. I may still go with Diep, I just expected near perfection (at least in terms of professionalism, patience, and office etiquette) for someone so highly regarded that charges $8.50-$10 per graft. Am I in the wrong?

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Coverdale said:

@Melvin- Moderator Struggling with this decision. Haber has little reviews and fewer results, especially posted here, since 2016 (unless I’m looking in the wrong place). Diep, although highly recommended, I’d a bit abrasive and impatient, it seems. Which is understandable seeing that he sees so many clients and deals with so many individuals, but it still rubs you the wrong way. I have an upcoming consult with Haber. I cancelled my consult with Behman after reading more about him here, and a past consult with a facility in LA went well, but a technician does all the work, which led me to deciding to go against that location. Perhaps my expectations are too high. I may still go with Diep, I just expected near perfection (at least in terms of professionalism, patience, and office etiquette) for someone so highly regarded that charges $8.50-$10 per graft. Am I in the wrong?

Well, to be honest that’s the going rate for FUE here in the states. But while some may say I’m biased, I actually feel strongly in going to a surgeon that gives you confidence. I believe in consulting with more than one surgeon. There a variety of great choices. Dr. Mohebi in LA, Dr. Gabel in Oregon, Dr. Cooley in North Carolina, Dr. Mwamba in Atlanta. My advice is consult slowly and with many. You’ll find the surgeon that gives you the best impression and the most confidence. 

View my thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 9:00 AM, Coverdale said:

Perhaps my expectations are too high. I may still go with Diep, I just expected near perfection (at least in terms of professionalism, patience, and office etiquette) for someone so highly regarded that charges $8.50-$10 per graft. Am I in the wrong?

Yeah, that's among the highest cost per graft in the US (have personally not seen any clinic charge more than that). Diep also gave me $10 per FUE graft for 1500 grafts.

$6-$8 per FUE graft is the norm in the higher cost of living areas of America, cheaper cities can also have cheaper clinics as well.

Just now, Coverdale said:

@wonderful_derp , I was hoping that was the highest… but I was wrong. Diep quoted at 17.9-19.9 for 2000-2250 grafts… I had an email conversation with Konior who quoted me at $28,000 for 2000 grafts… so apparently he’s charging $14 per graft. I won’t be going there lol.

Yikes. I understand clinics that are considered some of the best can charge what they want, but damn, that is simply insane. Price isn't necessarily the priority of a transplant, but when prices are so unusually high, it does hurt. I think 28k could cover going to the best clinics in Turkey like 5 times over or multiple transplants at very good clinics elsewhere in America.

• Like 1

@wonderful_derp I agree. I’m still shocked that he quoted that price for me. He even made it seem like I have a reasonable hairline with minor recession. 28 grand for 2000 grafts?! I could fly to turkey, stay a week, and go to the best doctor there for 1/4 of that. If I didn’t have a young son, I’d do it. I think I’ll be going with Haber or Diep. Most likely Haber.

15 minutes ago, Coverdale said:

@wonderful_derp I agree. I’m still shocked that he quoted that price for me. He even made it seem like I have a reasonable hairline with minor recession. 28 grand for 2000 grafts?! I could fly to turkey, stay a week, and go to the best doctor there for 1/4 of that. If I didn’t have a young son, I’d do it. I think I’ll be going with Haber or Diep. Most likely Haber.

Diep looks great, however I found this somewhat old thread that goes on forever, and there seems to be questionable things discussed from the OP and other commenters. I've only read like 5% of it, but it's a bit wild ride.  

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, wonderful_derp said:

Diep looks great, however I found this somewhat old thread that goes on forever, and there seems to be questionable things discussed from the OP and other commenters. I've only read like 5% of it, but it's a bit wild ride.  

That guy came here spouting nonsense and had no clue how surgery was even done. Most of what he said was inflammatory, to say the least.  A fair and balanced thread is this one. 

View my thread

1 minute ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

That guy came here spouting nonsense and had no clue how surgery was even done. Most of what he said was inflammatory, to say the least.  A fair and balanced thread is this one. 

Yeah, I know. Diep definitely gets the benefit of the doubt for having seemingly hundreds if not more successful cases, since if he can't get the benefit of the doubt, then who can? I do see how maybe his customer service isn't A tier, but that's not the worse thing.

9 hours ago, Coverdale said:

Mwamba is really good too his results on here are impressive and I think he charges 5-6$ per graft