Dr. Epstein

PA 34

• Administrators

Due to various concerns and differences we've decided to go our separate ways. I wish Dr. Jeff Epstein and his staff well.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

An excellent addition by subtraction. The quality of his work aside, which was suspect, his personal handling of it -- particularly when dealing with patients of whom he destroyed, was nothing short of arrogance at its finest.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Yeah, I remember that mess on the forums. This separation seemed to be done mutually, under the radar. Am I correct? Did I miss something?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Under the radar is correct. People were posting here negative comments about him long before I ever posted here concerning him. I had enough to deal with finding a doc who thankfully agreed to repair me. Doctor Epstein has done great work on others but for me, personally speaking, I never cared for his attitude concerning me and the the way I look like now when the surgery in question was a very minor procedure that gave me a good amount of permanent hair loss. I will leave 1 pic of what I looked like 2 months post op after a simple minor 200 grafts strip was extracted from left side of head to fill in donor scars in back of head, and the other 2 pics are what this same donor area looked like after over a year. You guys be the judge if you think I ever had any legitimate reason to become alarmed. And for the record I never posted my full story publicly because it was never my intention to try to ruin Dr. Epstein'a reputation so Id like to think I have some class. He ruined his rep on his own and he posted a pic that was not accurate concerning what this area looked like to make himself look good.

5b32c75fed030_DSC009131.jpg.a538c32394089bd3d85b6164a1ed1c0f.jpg

Yes it is. In case anyone cares I wrote a really long letter explaining my whole hair loss history and story with more pics and even emails I exchanged with Dr. Epstein validating my story. Bill was the only person in here who was ever aware of my situation completely. He was always super cool to me and extremely supportive and even encouraged me to post my full story but in the end I kind of wanted to stop feeling sorry for myself and was able to find a doc who was willing to help me. Unfortunately I will have to resort to using beard and bht to fill in hair in this area that used to have hair. There are no guarantees it will work but Im sure anyone here in my shoes would do the samething. I am extremely grateful for this doctor who agreed to repair me. The worst part for me was that I had a really good first experience with Dr. E and I used to consider him a friend and of course he did not mean for this to happen. I just didnt care for his attitude in the long run concerning how I look like now.

Thanks for sharing glajo.

So if I understand correctly, the huge shock loss in that area is a result of the strip surgery and not necessarily anything Dr. Epstein did. And that is a risk one takes even if the strip surgery is performed perfectly?

I always understood that it could cause temporary shock loss but if it was in an area where hair is not miniturized or suceptible to DHT, permanent loss would not happen. And if it did happen, it would be confined to an area very close to the scar itself. I do not understand why permanent shock loss happened in an area so far away from the donor site unless your scalp was already so tight that a lack of vascularity was cutting off the blood supply to the whole side of your head.

So can anyone verify this for me? If someone is that susceptible to permanent shock loss off of a 200 graft strip, had a 2000 graft strip been taken, you probably wouldn't have hair anywhere on the sides or back of your head.

Members,

I welcome Glajo and anyone else who wants to share their experience (good or bad) with Dr. Epstein to do so on this forum. However, I ask that they do it on a new thread.

This topic was created by a member wanting to know why Dr. Epstein is no longer a member of our community and it has been addressed. Anyone who wants to share their input on this topic may however, anyone who wants to share a particular experience with photos with their doctor should do so by creating a new topic.

Thanks,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh Pat, that's a little vague. I am still considering Epstein for my second HT. So was the problem over the quality of his work or other differences, like financial . . if you feel you can say of course. And Grow or whatever your name is. . . yea I know your opinion already . so thanks.

My opinion is not just for you but it is to help you.

I know you probably cant believe that but its true icon_smile.gif

I dont have anything against him personally .

I just report what I hear and see .

If it was great news Id post that also .

If I had it out for him I wouldnt post the nice things he has did .

One of which is alot of charity work.

I really hopes he fixes that broken link for the sake of others

There were just a slew of complaints in a rather short period and I felt the need to express this.

Sorry if I come across repetitive but I feel its the right thing to say at this time.

I wish someone would have expressed their opinion on my first clinic

Oh and I can guarantee its not financial as the fees are rather low and Epstein is loaded

Hoping,

To minimize unnecessary controversy, we don't feel it's appropriate to discuss the specifics of why doctors are removed and/or leave our community unless absolutely necessary. Like we tell all prospective patients researching physicians, you are welcome to use the 'find' feature of this community to see what his patients and other members of this community are saying.

Thanks for understanding,

Bill

Not going to get involved in this thread, other than to simply provide the details of Glajo's prior surgeries. On presentation to me 3 years ago, Glajo had already had 6 prior old-fashioned procedures, all done in his late teens/early 20s, with significant scarring, unaesthetic appearances, etc. I performed a total of 700 grafts on him- the first 500 grafts in a reparative procedure including donor site scar repairs for which he was extremely satisfied and grateful, the second a small touch up of 200 grafts which the patient feels is the cause of all his problems. Here is what I posted on this website back in April, 2009 in response to his initial negative post:

Besides being in regular communication with me, what all 4 of these posters have in common was that their procedures were performed 20 plus months ago, and they represent a very small fraction (less than 0.4%) of all procedures I performed over the past 2 years. The only recent post was from the poster Glajo, who unfortunately gave little details to his situation- but I feel the need to provide some of these details while staying within HIPAA regulations: 1. I performed a reparative procedure on him almost 3 years ago to repair the results of terrible work including donor site scarring and unaesthetic appearances he had done by another surgeon years earlier when he was in his early 20s/late teen; 2. he had outstanding results from my work, for which he thanked and blessed me for repeatedly (on his chart are multiple emails thanking me for giving him back his life); 3. around 16 months ago he strongly requested that I perform another small procedure on him that resulted in what he felt was thinning in the donor area in the left temporal region. I have attached on this post close up photos of this area to let each reader decide for himself if in fact the patient has had a significant improvement, rather than a worsening in appearance of this area. To appease the patient, 8 months ago I performed a touch up FUE procedure, transplanting both scalp and beard donor hairs into the area of concern. 4. I have had to deal very delicately with this patient - and have been nothing but sensitive and caring with him, as I certainly try to be with all my patients, including most recently meeting with him and his mother , who had to take care of him after the severe emotional/psychological reaction he had over his initial poor work, performed by another surgeon, that resulted in him quitting school. This patient represents just one of the more than 350 patients on whom I have performed reparative procedures over the past 2 years- and I truly wish to help him achieve the best outcome.

I love my work, and I love the satisfaction that comes from making a positive difference in the lives of my patients. Over the past 2 years I have received over 200 unsolicited letters and emails from patients thanking me for their results- which can be viewed on my website along with over 700 sets of before and after patient photos.

I have always placed my patients' interests first, and provide all of them with my cellphone number and personal email address so that each of them can contact me anytime they have a concern.

While I respect the free flow of information on the Internet and certainly think it can be a great tool for education, unfortunately, at times it can serve as a source of misinformation or distorted information when not provided in its entirety or in context. It is unfortunate that while there are few limits on what can be said about a surgeon, there are many limits as to what a surgeon can disclose in response to try to tell the complete story. While I recognize that no surgeon can have 100% satisfaction with 100% of his or her patients, most of us do aspire to achieve this with our patients and I certainly will continue to help those patients that are not completely satisfied in light of realistic expectations, in any way that I can.

That's what I wrote 3 months ago, and there is nothing else to add. Glajo's photos were provided at that time- photos that I took of the left temporal region upon his presentation to me, then photos of the same area at the same distance and lighting using the same camera approximately 8 months after his last (200 graft) procedure with me. The photos, which I have shown to numerous colleagues, and which I posted for complete transparency, clearly show the improvement in scarring and minimal to no reduction in density- and please note that Glajo's initial density was quite low.

Despite his prior posts 3 months ago, I had continued to offer to Glajo at no cost another FUE reparative procedure using beard or scalp hairs to attempt to help fill in what he feels is thinning due to his 8th procedure.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD,FACS