Sleep problems with minoxidil/finasteride

Hi everyone, I started taking Finasteride and Minoxidil after my HT last September. In May I started taking Loniten, an oral form of Minoxidil - the idea is that this is more effective than topical Minoxidil so I can eventually stop taking the Finasteride.

Recently i have been experiencing sleep problems - waking up in the middle of the night and being unable to sleep. I'm wondering if it's linked to one of the medications, or both. 

Has anyone else had these problems when taking Finasteride or Minoxidil? I'd be particularly interested to hear from Loniten users as that's the one I started most recently. 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Smithy- said:

I had some severe issues with sleep when I was taking fin 

There's a difference between correlation and causation. 

To the OP make sure optimize your everyday lifestyle habits, like

-TV/computer/phone screens emit blue light that suppresses your melatonin levels that help induce sleep. If you can't go without looking at those screens for a few hours before sleep get a pair of glasses with yellow, or better still orange, lens to block out that part of the light spectrum. I got a pair for under $10 on amazon that fit over my prescription glasses. 

-no stimulants like caffeine preferably up to 8hrs before sleep so that your body finishes processing them out

-try to force yourself to go to bed at the same time every night, your body prefers a predictable rhythm when it comes sleep.

-get in some exercise each day

-effectively managing any stressors in your life

-eating nutritious food, but not too close to when you are going to sleep

Once that's all straightened out, if you're still having issues, before going to a doctor you may want to try some over-the-counter sleep aids to kickstart things for a week or two. Something like a melatonin supplement (there's also delayed release melatonin that can help you stay asleep). But don't make that a long term habit. If the problem comes back as soon as you stop then go see a doctor.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 6:06 PM, ciaus said:

There's a difference between correlation and causation. 

To the OP make sure optimize your everyday lifestyle habits, like

-TV/computer/phone screens emit blue light that suppresses your melatonin levels that help induce sleep. If you can't go without looking at those screens for a few hours before sleep get a pair of glasses with yellow, or better still orange, lens to block out that part of the light spectrum. I got a pair for under $10 on amazon that fit over my prescription glasses. 

-no stimulants like caffeine preferably up to 8hrs before sleep so that your body finishes processing them out

-try to force yourself to go to bed at the same time every night, your body prefers a predictable rhythm when it comes sleep.

-get in some exercise each day

-effectively managing any stressors in your life

-eating nutritious food, but not too close to when you are going to sleep

no it's much easier blaming my erectile dysfunction and sleep issues on the hairloss medication lol

• 1 month later...

I recently started on Fin & oral minoxidil and am experiencing the occasional wake up a few hrs into my sleep. I am not sure if it attributed to the Australian summer heat ( I don’t sleep well in the heat) or the medication. It seems to be improving a tad but the first 2 weeks were bad and was averaging 4 hrs a night. 

After reading the fear mongering online about it for ages, finasteride was always the first thing I blamed when anything was wrong.

Though I take 5mg Minoxidil daily, I am not so sure about the health effects of it.