How many grafts would I need if I went for a hair transplant?

• Valued Contributor

@ybismat 26 and with aggressive hair loss I would be doing a lot more research and I would not recommend basing surgery on a price or a time deadline. This is just a recipe for disaster. I’m living proof of that and so are thousands and thousands of others who are have been in your situation. At 26 and with aggressive hair loss you will be a Norwood 6/7 and you have to plan for this as surgical results will be with you over the lifespan. Listen to the advice of @JC71.  You need to be able to have a donor supply to support the loss. If you have any inkling of shaving your head and/or having SMP then definitely look down that avenue first. If you ‘must’ have hair then you really need to have consultations with the best. You could/most likely be looking at two or more procedures with the use of beard grafts over the journey. Spend some time on the forum and remember that you can always have surgery ‘tomorrow.’ All the best!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

@ybismat 26 and with aggressive hair loss I would be doing a lot more research and I would not recommend basing surgery on a price or a time deadline. This is just a recipe for disaster. I’m living proof of that and so are thousands and thousands of others who are have been in your situation. At 26 and with aggressive hair loss you will be a Norwood 6/7 and you have to plan for this as surgical results will be with you over the lifespan. Listen to the advice of @JC71.  You need to be able to have a donor supply to support the loss. If you have any inkling of shaving your head and/or having SMP then definitely look down that avenue first. If you ‘must’ have hair then you really need to have consultations with the best. You could/most likely be looking at two or more procedures with the use of beard grafts over the journey. Spend some time on the forum and remember that you can always have surgery ‘tomorrow.’ All the best!

Thanks mate, hard to hear but I need to hear it. I think it has pretty much stabilized now as I dont have more then 20-30 hairs falling off in the shower or when washing. 

• Valued Contributor

Sorry I don’t in any way mean to come across as harsh. I was in exactly your position myself and pulled the trigger on surgery for all the wrong reasons and had to live with the consequences. I’m just trying to protect you from making the same mistakes. I’m not ruling out surgery. I’m just sharing all the reasons on the best way to approach it. All the best.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Sorry I don’t in any way mean to come across as harsh. I was in exactly your position myself and pulled the trigger on surgery for all the wrong reasons and had to live with the consequences. I’m just trying to protect you from making the same mistakes. I’m not ruling out surgery. I’m just sharing all the reasons on the best way to approach it. All the best.

No I appreciate it. Did you have any other surgeries after the first one? Or did you just shave it all off?

I think the reasons I am optimistic is all the surgeons I've talked to said my donor is very very healthy and they are very optimistic they can get enough grafts from there and I have a very thick beard. I also am open to 2 HT's, perhaps doing the crown one session and the frontal area in another. But I am also open to just lopping it all off and going with the buzz cut look, maybe the SMP option. I have contacted FueCapilar, Bicer, HLC, Resul Yaman and Demirsoy all of who come highly recommended so I will wait and see what they think. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Looks like you're only looking at cheap hair mills, with the exception of Dr. Turan. For your case, personally, I would consult with Eugenix, as you are a high norwood and you will need a lot of grafts. I think Dr. Bicer is a great affordable alternative to the hair mills you've mentioned. Are you on medication?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

53 minutes ago, ybism said:

Thanks mate, hard to hear but I need to hear it. I think it has pretty much stabilized now as I dont have more then 20-30 hairs falling off in the shower or when washing. 

Sorry but there's no way you've stabilized if you're not on finasteride with such aggressive loss at 26 years old. You really need to think this through. Think long-term. What's worst case scenario. Well, that would be getting a transplant by a low cost clinic at a young age (26). There's potential for overharvesting, shock loss, unnatural appearance, and many others. When you lose your native hair behind the transplanted hairline it will look unnatural and you will be wishing you just shaved it instead of dealing with the scars and ridiculous island of hair. Sorry to be so harsh, but you're exhibiting all the signs of a  young man distraught with hair loss that wants a quick easy fix. Unfortunately there is nothing quick or easy about hair restoration. If you can't afford any of the clinics mentioned than it's not time for a transplant. Try different dosing regimens of fin and save up some money. 

• Like 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

• Valued Contributor
6 minutes ago, ybism said:

No I appreciate it. Did you have any other surgeries after the first one? Or did you just shave it all off?

I think the reasons I am optimistic is all the surgeons I've talked to said my donor is very very healthy and they are very optimistic they can get enough grafts from there and I have a very thick beard. I also am open to 2 HT's, perhaps doing the crown one session and the frontal area in another. But I am also open to just lopping it all off and going with the buzz cut look, maybe the SMP option. I have contacted FueCapilar, Bicer, HLC, Resul Yaman and Demirsoy all of who come highly recommended so I will wait and see what they think. 

If you are open to the buzz look with perhaps SMP then I honestly reckon that you seriously consider this option before your scalp is cut. Surgery should be considered as a last resort. All the best. 

• Valued Contributor
10 minutes ago, ybism said:

Yes. I had two hair transplants and lots of surgeries afterwards to rectify the unsightly scarring. Later in life I shaved my head and had SMP.

We have similar hair loss. I'm assuming you are Mediterranean? 

I'll give you some useful advice when I was 26 and going through that type of loss (and was not, and still not on fin for additional context). All of the doctors that denied me at the time requested I wait an additional year or two, as I was due to lose more hair...and wouldn't you know it, a NW6/NW7 pattern reveled itself in that time. I'm glad I waited and can better set my expectations now.

All that is to say: waiting isn't a bad option in this case. You can press forward, but I think right now, given the potential for future loss, you should seek out a top surgeon who works with higher Norwoods instead of price/time concerns, both of which are a receipt for disaster. I'd do some research into doctors in NA and Europe, and save up for the next few months. Best of luck!

• Like 1

Gatsby has given you sound advice. I had similar hair loss as you that started at age 28. I stopped taking Fin at 30 years old because I was trying to start a family. 20 years and approximately 9 hair transplants later I have a pretty full looking head of hair. The crown is still a bit thin but I cover it with proper styling and hair length. The majority of my surgeries were strip. I doubt I could have achieved the same with just FUE. Just know that once you start down the rabbit hole there's no turning back so make informed decisions and consider the what ifs. 

• Like 2

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com