Donor Shock Loss

Hi 

I had fue 3500 grafts surgery 4 weeks ago. In the first week i had a bit on an infection in the donor area but used ointment to clear it. Upto day 10 things seemed fine and the infection seemed to be clearing but then the donor area started shedding hair as in the pics on both sides.

Now by 4 weeks i have noticed further hairs have been shed, however, there also seems to be broken hairs in the area.

Once the donor hair started to shed the hairs, i went to see my surgeon who then got me on biotin, minoxidil 5% twice a day and terbisil tabs. Also have had a steroid injection to the scalp for the past 2 weeks and also had prp this week.

Can someone advise if this looks like shock loss?

20210920_111948.jpg

20210920_111912.jpg

3 hours ago, Kay787 said:

Hi 

I had fue 3500 grafts surgery 4 weeks ago. In the first week i had a bit on an infection in the donor area but used ointment to clear it. Upto day 10 things seemed fine and the infection seemed to be clearing but then the donor area started shedding hair as in the pics on both sides.

Now by 4 weeks i have noticed further hairs have been shed, however, there also seems to be broken hairs in the area.

Once the donor hair started to shed the hairs, i went to see my surgeon who then got me on biotin, minoxidil 5% twice a day and terbisil tabs. Also have had a steroid injection to the scalp for the past 2 weeks and also had prp this week.

Can someone advise if this looks like shock loss?

20210920_111948.jpg

20210920_111912.jpg

I had the same..

the first 3 weeks everything looked good but suddenly the same thing happened to me as in your situation
Now is almost 3 month and it looks better but i have to wait 6 month so see improvement according to the doctor. Is a waiting game iguess so have patient.

But honestly, you cant walk around like that. shave down the donor area until you see improvement

@Ajamilo I have had a blade zero on the sides and kept a high line just to disguise for now, you're right i couldnt walk around like that.

Will keep this post updated with progress but will be good to also hear other peoples experiences

Edited by Kay787

Its a relief to hear it will improve. I was trying to ensure its not anything else.

I had this done from J&J Asthectics in Pakistan. I came here to travel the country from 3 months. I had no plans for a transplant when coming here but decided last minute to get it done after seeing a barber who had it done with great results. I just checked their reviews and booked it in. The process was fine, not sure if its normal but the head surgeon just overlooks the procedure but has others carrying out the work. 

I met 2 other people at the surgery who had theirs done a few weeks ago and not had any issues, so thought its a straight forward procedure. Little did i realise i could experience this shock loss.

The surgeon advised this is the first case of shock loss hes had. I have seen lots of patients going in and out the surgery during my checkup visits. So not sure if this is a result of a bodge job or am i just unlucky to experience this.

Many Thanks for your responses

I don’t want to sound alarming - but this is definitely on the extreme end of shock loss. 

The reason I asked which clinic you went to, was to ascertain whether or not the follow up advice they have provided you with was from a trustworthy and experienced source. 

Whilst confident it is likely to be shock loss, I would be inclined to contact some of the surgeons recommended on here for a second set of eyes, and to see whether anything could be done in the immediate weeks following from this. 

Wish you the best, 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey

Just thought id update the post, I am currently at week 11. The skin doesnt feel as tight anymore. I can see very little new hair growth in the donor shock area but theyre very fine at this stage. But im glad to see any growth and i know its early stages yet. At the same time i can see new hairs starting to grown in the recipient areas also and a few spots here and there. Ive been told spots are expected when new hair start coming out.

I was looking on facebook about 2 weeks ago about other donor shock loss cases as i had already exhausted my research on google, one guy put up a pic of his shock loss in a comment on a post and his was very similar to mine. This comment was 43 weeks old so i decided to message him directly as by 43 weeks he should have seen some results. I was relieved to hear hes ended up with excellent results, the hair in the donor shock loss area came out at the 4 to 5 months stage. All he ever used was biotin shampoo daily. 

So im keeping my hopes up, but for now im keeping the cap on. I was advised by another person last week who also had a transplant that i should also be applying vitamin e to the donor area, i have Nivea cream that i use for the face that contains vitamin e so will use that in addition to the minox but willneed to let the minox absorb properly before apllying the cream.

I will update again in a few weeks how things are progressing

• Thanks 1

Also in the same situation, shock loss above my left ear. First pic was 8 days after fue HT and the second pic is now 2 months. Suppose there is nothing that can be done at this stage apart from apply min take fin and wish for the best. Hopefully time will make a big difference. 

913D45FF-AD80-4F68-927A-A6A72B3861D0.jpeg

4A707511-3585-4263-ADC2-4625206715A8.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I have now come to 4 months and have just let the hair grow without buzzing the sides. I have attached my current photos.

It is filli g it a little not sure if thats because ive grown the hair, but i can feel some stubble on the head in areas in the donor and recipient areas, so hoping this is growth that has started.

For now im still wearing a hat when im out and hoping this recovers in the next 2 months.

Il post another update at month 5

20220102_161349.jpg

20220102_161817.jpg

• Like 1

Do you have a picture of the time it was infected? And a picture right after transplant. That will clear things. 

• Like 1

I have added some pics below, first one was day 4 as ibhad the bandages off at day 3. Then the infection started right after day 5 and started dissappearing after day 7.

At day 11 it all seemed to have started going well and then the shedding/shock loss started at day 14.

Pics below looks like not added in day order but have the day number on the pic 20210913_081945.thumb.jpg.249df9450b15631cd485298db3dfe42d.jpg20210906_082933.thumb.jpg.f3966ff862fa9e646ae01c5a060a8295.jpg20210908_154412.thumb.jpg.e1316636d44c21a2b0b18a3071c65ef1.jpg20210909_115913.thumb.jpg.31a5a03fe8b22d374570f48db4ebed47.jpg20210913_082013.thumb.jpg.9e69ff5b3619cd3e0be7a456124d70e2.jpg

20210916_081128.jpg

20210916_081156.jpg

Edited by Kay787

I am facing a similar, although not exact, situation, in which I had an infection in my frontal recipient area. There is no hair growing in that area almost 4-months out, and the only solace I have is waiting until about the 6 month mark as advised by the surgeon. And will reconsider options. In the meantime, doing everything I can topically to help the area heal (vitamin E oil, aloe, Mederma, petrolatum). Best of luck.

• Administrators

What did your surgeon say?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:50 AM, Kay787 said:

I have added some pics below, first one was day 4 as ibhad the bandages off at day 3. Then the infection started right after day 5 and started dissappearing after day 7.

At day 11 it all seemed to have started going well and then the shedding/shock loss started at day 14.

Pics below looks like not added in day order but have the day number on the pic 20210913_081945.thumb.jpg.249df9450b15631cd485298db3dfe42d.jpg20210906_082933.thumb.jpg.f3966ff862fa9e646ae01c5a060a8295.jpg20210908_154412.thumb.jpg.e1316636d44c21a2b0b18a3071c65ef1.jpg20210909_115913.thumb.jpg.31a5a03fe8b22d374570f48db4ebed47.jpg20210913_082013.thumb.jpg.9e69ff5b3619cd3e0be7a456124d70e2.jpg

20210916_081128.jpg

20210916_081156.jpg

since there was more hair at 11 days post op than 2 months it probably is shock loss but i dont think the surgeon did a good job extracting to get that much shock loss

Edited by mmokin

7 hours ago, nycshearling said:

I am facing a similar, although not exact, situation, in which I had an infection in my frontal recipient area. There is no hair growing in that area almost 4-months out, and the only solace I have is waiting until about the 6 month mark as advised by the surgeon. And will reconsider options. In the meantime, doing everything I can topically to help the area heal (vitamin E oil, aloe, Mederma, petrolatum). Best of luck.

Im following the exact same approach, wait it out till 6 months

51 minutes ago, mmokin said:

since there was more hair at 11 days post op than 2 months it probably is shock loss but i dont think the surgeon did a good job extracting to get that much shock loss

Exactly my thoughts also, at day 11 i felt it was all going so well then it just went downhill from there.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Kay787 said:

He said to wait 6 months and reasses. In the meantime apply minox, vitamin e and take biotin.

No, what did he say about the infection? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

18 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

No, what did he say about the infection? 

His advice was just dab the puss out with a clean tissue. 

I was told i can apply and cream on the donor area from day 4 for moiturising and help healing as long as its aseptic.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I have now reached 5 months now and its been better. There has been good improvement after month 4 which im pleased with. I have not had a haircut for 2 months now and just going to let it grow. The patches now do not stand out as much and i looking forward to seeing how the next 2 months go.

Here are some pics at 5 months. I will give a further update at 6 months.

Screenshot_20220207-220321_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220207-220255_Gallery.jpg

• Administrators

It's definitely recovering. Have you considered getting a steroid injection? That could help speed up the recovery process.

View my thread

I had a steroid injection with my first after the transplant. The doctors assistant skanked me on the 2nd steroid injection, he said he had done it but i wasnt charged for it. When i went in for my 3rd prp with the surgeon, i mentioned it and he found it wasnt done. Then he skanked me also, told me hel do it byt again i wasnt charged for it so dont believe it was done with prp.

I came back from abroad after that and didnt bother with anything here other than minox and biotin. Only this month i started taking Saw Palmetto, i cant credit the saw palmetto yet but things did improve faster after i started taking it 🤔🤷‍♂️