Strip Scar Revision help

Scarhelp

Hi,

I am new here so if this is not the proper place for this topic please let me know.

I am looking for help with my strip scar. I have a large scar that runs from ear to ear. I have already had SMP and it is one of the best things that I have ever done. It has honestly changed my life. However, I am still bothered by my strip scar. My friends and family tell me that it isn't noticeable especially since my SMP. However, I notice it because it's my head. I am wondering if there are any procedures that can be done to eliminate the scar altogether or at least to make it thinner. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. And if anyone knows of anyone in the New York area who could help me that would be even better. Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by Scarhelp

You can always use FUE to place grafts into the strip scar. They can be from the traditional donor area or beard grafts. As long as you go to a quality surgeon, they have much experience placing grafts into scar tissue and getting excellent growth. Just do your research so you choose wisely. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

Typically I read this type of post when the scar is wide.  If it is not wide and it's within an acceptable range, I would leave it alone.  Putting grafts into the scar is a good way to camouflage and a combo with SMP even better - but you've already done that.  If the scar is wide however, you do have a couple of options.  First is to do a revision or another FUT transplant.  Ask the doctor to use the old scar as a border and thus creating a new scar.  (The question does become, why did it widen the first time? Lack of elasticity? Went to the gym too soon)?

Regardless of what you choose, if you invade the skin for whatever reason, a scar will form.  If FUE, ask what size punch they'll be using.  Anything larger than .9mm will be noticeable.

How long ago did you do the SMP? Once the body metabolizes the ink, you may have to retouch.  Just something to keep in mind.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• 1 month later...

I haven't had grafts put into my scar, but I have had SMP on the scar. It does look better, but it still drives me crazy and does make me insecure at times. I had my first HT back in 1998. The technology wasn't that good back then. So, the severity of the scar wasn't from rushing back to the gym too soon (I'm not that stupid). It was from the places that I went to. In 1998 just about every place I know of was still using the strip scar method, and since I am not a good healer the scar is still rather large. I'm surprised that no one has recommended anyone that is good at fixing this type of thing. If anyone can help me out I'd be very appreciative.

Dr Konior is great with strip scars and revisions. Chicago Hair Institute 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

• Moderators

You said you are in the New York area, so if I were you I would check out Dr Bloxham (Feller and Bloxham) for a possible scar reduction. Dr Bloxham has been doing some excellent FUT work and has been getting some very good, barely noticeable FUT scars. There are also several other Drs in NY who do FUT work and should be able to do FUT scar reductions as well if you want to check them out including Dr Robert Dorin, Dr Carols Wesley, and Dr Robert Bernstein

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The only way to eliminate an existing strip scar is to have another strip surgery.  The first scar will be completely removed but will be replaced with a second one.  The idea here is to create a smaller scar than the existing one.  Alternatively, you can get FUE into the scar so that the scar is concealed.    The concept is similar to SMP but instead of tattooing, you actually have hair growing through the scar.  So it’s something to consider.  

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Dr. Rahal

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

• 1 year later...

So far I have spoken to two doctors about this one is Dr. C*** from Forhair. He gave me a quote of around $2,500 to fix my scar. Has anyone on here had any experience with him?

The second doctor that I spoke to was Dr Bernstein who is in New York City. He wanted $6,500. Sorry, but that price seems insanely high to me. 

Does anyone have any other recommendations or any information about Dr C***? 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
14 hours ago, Scarhelp said:

Why is Dr. C***'s name blocked out every time I post it on here? 

For legal reasons the owner of this website and forum has decided not to discuss him by name.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

2 hours ago, BeHappy said:

For legal reasons the owner of this website and forum has decided not to discuss him by name.

That's not an encouraging sign of being a good doctor. 

Do you know anyone who is located in NYC that can fix my scar? I'm having a lot of trouble finding someone. I only received two recommendations. The first I went to years ago and I didn't like the work that they performed. The second wanted almost 7,000 to fix a strip scar. That seems like a VERY high estimate for a scar repair. Dr C*** gave me an estimate of around $2,500 which seemed about right. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more than that but $7,000 seems insane. I'm an hour away from NYC. There should be hundreds of qualified doctors who are located there who can fix my scar. 

Thanks

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Scarhelp said:

That's not an encouraging sign of being a good doctor. 

Do you know anyone who is located in NYC that can fix my scar? I'm having a lot of trouble finding someone. I only received two recommendations. The first I went to years ago and I didn't like the work that they performed. The second wanted almost 7,000 to fix a strip scar. That seems like a VERY high estimate for a scar repair. Dr C*** gave me an estimate of around $2,500 which seemed about right. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more than that but $7,000 seems insane. I'm an hour away from NYC. There should be hundreds of qualified doctors who are located there who can fix my scar. 

Thanks

That's way too high for me for scar repair. My guess is he probably has a minimum amount he wants to get for a day, so he's just charging you that amount. New York City is expensive. Have you looked at Dr Bloxham? He's in Great Neck NY. Have you considered putting FUE grafts into the scar rather than a revision? Feller and Bloxham used to advertise small FUE sessions for touch ups and minor fixes, but I don't know if they still welcome them. If they do, you may need to be flexible on the scheduling as they may want to schedule two small procedures the same day. That way they can get enough money for the day while still offering small sessions. I'm not sure how they handle it these days. You'd have to ask them.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

6 hours ago, BeHappy said:

That's way too high for me for scar repair. My guess is he probably has a minimum amount he wants to get for a day, so he's just charging you that amount. New York City is expensive. Have you looked at Dr Bloxham? He's in Great Neck NY. Have you considered putting FUE grafts into the scar rather than a revision? Feller and Bloxham used to advertise small FUE sessions for touch ups and minor fixes, but I don't know if they still welcome them. If they do, you may need to be flexible on the scheduling as they may want to schedule two small procedures the same day. That way they can get enough money for the day while still offering small sessions. I'm not sure how they handle it these days. You'd have to ask them.

I went to Feller for a transplant back in 2005. I know that he has an excellent reputation, but my transplant didn't look very good. I went to a few Drs, and I didn't get the results any of them promised. So, I did SMP and I am very happy with that. 

What you mentioned (FUE grafts into the scar) is exactly what I am looking for. I just don't want to pay $7000 to do it. That quote was from Bernstein medical. I know they have a reputation as being one of the best transplant establishments in the world. But $7000 for a scar repair is robbery. 

I'll keep looking I'm just amazed that it is this hard to find someone to fix it. 

Do you know anything about Dr Deane in garden city?

Or Dr Dorin? He's also in Garden city. I know Dorin was once partnered with Dr True (who is now retired).

Thank you so much for all of your replies they are greatly appreciated. 

On 6/27/2023 at 6:36 PM, Scarhelp said:

I went to Feller for a transplant back in 2005. I know that he has an excellent reputation, but my transplant didn't look very good. I went to a few Drs, and I didn't get the results any of them promised. So, I did SMP and I am very happy with that. 

What you mentioned (FUE grafts into the scar) is exactly what I am looking for. I just don't want to pay $7000 to do it. That quote was from Bernstein medical. I know they have a reputation as being one of the best transplant establishments in the world. But $7000 for a scar repair is robbery. 

I'll keep looking I'm just amazed that it is this hard to find someone to fix it. 

Do you know anything about Dr Deane in garden city?

Or Dr Dorin? He's also in Garden city. I know Dorin was once partnered with Dr True (who is now retired).

Thank you so much for all of your replies they are greatly appreciated. 

Hi, with smp you can  buz at 0.9mm ? Do you have some pictures please ? You have to redo smp every 3 years?  Thanks !

Edited by arthurSam

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) :
ASCE+ HRLV

22 hours ago, arthurSam said:

Hi, with smp you can  buz at 0.9mm ? Do you have some pictures please ? You have to redo smp every 3 years?  Thanks !

It's been three years since I had it done. I need to go in again at the end of this summer. Some people can wait up to 6 years before they have it done again. My skin doesn't like being tattooed or being in the sun. So, I have to go in every three years and have it touched up. I took some pictures for this site about a year or two ago. I will find them and send them to you. 

Edited by Scarhelp
More information added

58 minutes ago, Scarhelp said:

It's been three years since I had it done. I need to go in again at the end of this summer. Some people can wait up to 6 years before they have it done again. My skin doesn't like being tattooed or being in the sun. So, I have to go in every three years and have it touched up. I took some pictures for this site about a year or two ago. I will find them and send them to you. 

Thanks!

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) :
ASCE+ HRLV

• Valued Contributor

Farming beard grafts (or even scalp if you have enough in the tank) into the donor scar is a good way to get vascularity into the old strip scar. I've had about 500 BHT's into my donor scars and they do grow and add a bit of density to hair in that area while also hiding the scars. All the best.

That's what I plan on doing, but I'm not sure of who to go to. I've gotten two quotes from Dr's so far. One from Bernstein medical for almost $7,000 which is completely insane! The other was from Dr C*** for $2,500 which is completely sane and the number that I had in my head when I began looking.

For some reason Dr C***'s name is not allowed to be written on this site which is not encouraging... So, I am still looking for someone. There has to be someone near me. I live on Long Island about an hour and a half away from NY. 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Scarhelp said:

That's what I plan on doing, but I'm not sure of who to go to. I've gotten two quotes from Dr's so far. One from Bernstein medical for almost $7,000 which is completely insane! The other was from Dr C*** for $2,500 which is completely sane and the number that I had in my head when I began looking.

For some reason Dr C***'s name is not allowed to be written on this site which is not encouraging... So, I am still looking for someone. There has to be someone near me. I live on Long Island about an hour and a half away from NY. 

Did they say how many grafts they think you will need? It's hard to really determine how much it should cost without knowing an approximate graft count.. In NY it's probably going to cost you around $9 per graft. At 500 grafts that comes to $4500. I don't know how bad your scar is.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I'm not sure of how many grafts that they recommended for me. I saw the price tag of $6,500 and I deleted the email and never responded. 

I am currently talking to Dr Stoller. He seems to have good reviews and a good reputation, and he did have a link on his site for my exact problem. I'm going to have to research him a bit more. If you know anything about him, please let me know. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

No, I have not had it fixed yet. It's about a quarter of an inch long from ear to ear. I don't think having transplants will help. I don't understand why someone can't just take it out so I can be left with a pencil fine scar... I'm kind of frustrated because all of the doctors that I have spoken with (via emails) all want 7-8 grand to put transplants into the scar. It just seems like they all want to get as much money out of me as they can, and care very little about actually helping me. 

I'd really like to have a trichophytic enclosure done, but i can't find someone who does it. If anyone can PLEASE recommend SOMEONE, please let me know. 

Edited by Scarhelp