Strip Scar Revision help

Scarhelp

On 6/30/2023 at 9:50 AM, Scarhelp said:

I'm not sure of how many grafts that they recommended for me. I saw the price tag of $6,500 and I deleted the email and never responded. 

I am currently talking to Dr Stoller. He seems to have good reviews and a good reputation, and he did have a link on his site for my exact problem. I'm going to have to research him a bit more. If you know anything about him, please let me know. 

I would not touch the scar until you have a solid plan.  "If" you need further HT surgeries, definitely wait until then since they can do another strip to harvest donor hairs (then suture it shut nicely).

• Moderators
On 3/21/2024 at 4:54 PM, Scarhelp said:

No, I have not had it fixed yet. It's about a quarter of an inch long from ear to ear. I don't think having transplants will help. I don't understand why someone can't just take it out so I can be left with a pencil fine scar... I'm kind of frustrated because all of the doctors that I have spoken with (via emails) all want 7-8 grand to put transplants into the scar. It just seems like they all want to get as much money out of me as they can, and care very little about actually helping me. 

I'd really like to have a trichophytic enclosure done, but i can't find someone who does it. If anyone can PLEASE recommend SOMEONE, please let me know. 

Not many Drs still do FUT. If you do find one who will do it, the scar may just stretch again and you'll be in the same situation you are now, except you'll be down about $2500 for the scar reduction. It may work great, but with FUE so popular even some Drs who do FUT would rather just add some FUE grafts into the scar if they feel you may be prone to scar stretching. Some people scar very easily. Did you ever try Dr Robert Dorin in Garden City NY? I think he is still doing FUT if requested.

As for the $7000 price... FUE costs in the range of $8 to $10 in the NY area, so putting 700 to 800 grafts into your scar is going to cost that much. They aren't trying to charge you extra just because it's FUE into a scar.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Yes, I have been talking to a few doctors and they all say that FUE is the best way to go. As for the price tag, it is the going rate. I have been away from the transplant business for a long time so the prices seemed a bit extreme, but they are the going rate. I have a virtual appointment with Dr Stoller next Wednesday. He has great reviews. So, I am hoping that he can help me. 

• Valued Contributor

@Scarhelp you could try contacting Dr Jerry Wong in Canada. Send him pics of your scar and see what he thinks in terms of is it worth doing another strip to narrow the scar's width? Do you have nay other scars? do they tend to heal well? For many people genes will determine this. I had bad punch graft scars and later scars from trying to reduce the width. I had SMP and was fairly happy with the results. Later when I had my first and second hair transplant I had beard and body hair farmed into the scars. All the best.

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0337.PNG

• Like 1