Do I really need an HT now?

Hi everybody, 

I booked an hair transplant for October but a lot of uncertainty has come up because I don't actually feel that bad with my hair to do it.

Money is not a problem so I thought I could make my self look better but now I'm afraid of the sorrounding hair falls due to the transplant.

What do you think?

I tried fin and minoxidil but just for a month or two. I feel that I can wait 1 or 2 years more to stable my hair loss. I'm 29

IMG_20210825_163432.jpg

IMG_20210825_163539.jpg

IMG_20210825_163654.jpg

IMG_20210825_163713.jpg

IMG_20210824_191459.jpg

I think you've lost enough to justify it, you're not diffusely thinning at all by the looks of things and any grafts implanted will be in what are essentially slick bald or heavily miniaturised areas, so I wouldn't personally worry too much about shocking surrounding hairs permentantly (I'm in a fairly similar situation myself).

With that said, the way you style your hair (i.e. in the pics when its not pulled back), it looks pretty good and it's not obvious you're receding. At the end of the day, the whole point of a HT is fundamentally to 'fix' an issue you have with yourself, to rectify something that bothers you on a personal level.

If you don't really feel bad with your hair and it's not really affecting you mentally and impacting your life at all, why not hold off. It's never a bad idea to do nothing at all. You can always wait until it becomes an issue for you. 

Welcome to the forum buddy! You definitely don't need a hair transplant right now. You've got great hair

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

As @EvoXOhiosays, I would just keep up with treatment for now (most importantly finasteride) and see how you get on from there. It might well improve things, two months is nothing. And if it doesn't, its very very likely to keep your hair in it's current state for a long time. If you're happy with it as is, then you won't need a transplant. 

Either way, stay on the meds for a year or two before you go and get a HT.

As others have said, you really don't need a HT right now...you have outstanding hair characteristics especially with that nice wavy hair volume.

Now, if you continue to lose with recessionary loss and your hairline pulls back to the point where you cannot style and cover the frontal third, you can always re-assess.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Definitely don’t pull the trigger yet ! Stay on fin/Minox, you need to give the meds at least a year. Once started you need to remain on them if you want a chance of retaining your current hair. Which is actually really good. 
Review your situation again in a years time. Keep pics so you can compare. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I just saw your replies now.

Somehow the clinic convinced me to do this (tried to cancel 2 times). And I myself convinced me too. My main justification to do this is, I've been thinking of doing an HT for the past 4 years and the hair line seems to be quite stable, so why not?

On the other hand, my self-esteem has been on the top, I don't really feel bad about my image. I feel that I can live well with my image right now. But the hair transplant would take off the burden of carefully style my hair every time I go out.

Really hard decision

5 minutes ago, Luismendes535 said:

Sorry guys, I just saw your replies now.

Somehow the clinic convinced me to do this (tried to cancel 2 times). And I myself convinced me too. My main justification to do this is, I've been thinking of doing an HT for the past 4 years and the hair line seems to be quite stable, so why not?

On the other hand, my self-esteem has been on the top, I don't really feel bad about my image. I feel that I can live well with my image right now. But the hair transplant would take off the burden of carefully style my hair every time I go out.

Really hard decision

Any clinic convincing you should be a huge red flag. Cancel and consult with a ethical clinic ! So many better options open to you if your really adamant. 

How can I cancel 5 days from the cirurgy? I want to give a try Min/Fin before. 

Btw, I don't know if this makes sense but I booked because my hair was shedding a lot. And I got overwhelmed and just went for it. I started taking multivimans and the shedding stopped. Dows this even makes sense? Hair seems to be stronger now too

Just now, Luismendes535 said:

How can I cancel 5 days from the cirurgy? I want to give a try Min/Fin before. 

Btw, I don't know if this makes sense but I booked because my hair was shedding a lot. And I got overwhelmed and just went for it. I started taking multivimans and the shedding stopped. Dows this even makes sense? Hair seems to be stronger now too

Cancel for any reason possible. Sometimes it’s better to even lose a little deposit than considering the risk of a poor procedure. All of us have periods of hair sheds, sometimes this is going to be more noticeable. Just think how much you could hopefully help and improve your situation if your on a med regime ! 

I just hope you won’t experience acute shock loss.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY