Should You Get A Hair Transplant Or Hair System?

• Administrators

Someone asked me this recently via pm. I didn't know how to respond. On one hand, a hair system is instant, no waiting, it's guaranteed hair. On the other hand, it's a rug. What are the pros and cons to each?

Should I Get A Hair Transplant or Hair System?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I think the balder you are or the more aggressive your balding will be, the more you should look at a system just cause even if you're one of the legendary NW8s, a system can put more hairs on your head than an otter.

Since we're on a hair transplant forum, it's about managing expectations with a hair transplant and a transplant on a NW7 guy might never make him happy with the density and the compromises that need to be made

its kind of ironic. before I went down the road of 3 hair transplants, I always thought toupees/wigs/hair systems (whatever you called them) were horrible and who in their right mind would wear them. 

But after going through the extreme stress, uncertainty, cost, and waiting game of 3 hair transplants, I have a much more favorable opinion of hair systems. 

I think hair systems are a great option if someone is a NW 6 or NW 7 and the best a HT could bring them to is a NW 3 or NW 4, and they would only be satisfied showing no hair loss at all. 

Also if people demand their hair to be perfect, and demand to have a hairstyle that they cant do with a hair transplant, a hair system is the way to go. 

That being said, hair systems seem awfully high maintenance. And eventually you will have to have that awkward talk with a romantic partner that you are wearing a wig. And if you wear a wig around coworkers or friends, its not like one day you can wear the wig and take a break the next day and show up to the office bald. It seems like a lot of effort having to do it everyday. But just like with every habit, I'm sure you'd get used to it. 

Edited by SadMan2021

I would personally never get a hair system. I am NW5, 40 years old, and I have fought it quite well with two hair transplants of 5500g total + finasteride + minoxidil. 

But even if I was NW7 I would save my head, I am 100% sure on this. 

Edited by Kharmacoma
  • Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

Alternative title… Toupee Or Not-Toupee 😂🤣

Toupee or not toupee for a hair transplant lol

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

its kind of ironic. before I went down the road of 3 hair transplants, I always thought toupees/wigs/hair systems (whatever you called them) were horrible and who in their right mind would wear them. 

But after going through the extreme stress, uncertainty, cost, and waiting game of 3 hair transplants, I have a much more favorable opinion of hair systems. 

I think hair systems are a great option if someone is a NW 6 or NW 7 and the best a HT could bring them to is a NW 3 or NW 4, and they would only be satisfied showing no hair loss at all. 

Also if people demand their hair to be perfect, and demand to have a hairstyle that they cant do with a hair transplant, a hair system is the way to go. 

That being said, hair systems seem awfully high maintenance. And eventually you will have to have that awkward talk with a romantic partner that you are wearing a wig. And if you wear a wig around coworkers or friends, its not like one day you can wear the wig and take a break the next day and show up to the office bald. It seems like a lot of effort having to do it everyday. But just like with every habit, I'm sure you'd get used to it. 

For me, concealer is bad enough. People come unannounced all the time. I can’t imagine being caught without a wig. Your life would revolve around the wig unless you just owned it like John Travolta. He’ll go to a premiere with a wig and take a picture next day with a fan bald.

• Like 2

View my thread

I have lived in both dimensions…wore hair systems for 11 years and it was a love/hate experience…love, because I finally had my hair back…hate, because it was a PAIN dealing with all of the challenges of wearing a system.

Many of you may remember the horror story of mine when I had met a foxy lady in a club, she went home with me, stayed overnight, and THEN when we woke up the next morning, she was in shock when she discovered me without hair!…my system had fallen off during the night!…😳 

Fast forward…4 procedures later (6900 grafts), I once again have my hair back BUT this time “my own transplanted hair” and finally free!

Now, systems have come a long way since then and for some individuals it is a better option.

But for me, I would not trade my grafts for anything!…😎

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators
1 hour ago, gillenator said:

I have lived in both dimensions…wore hair systems for 11 years and it was a love/hate experience…love, because I finally had my hair back…hate, because it was a PAIN dealing with all of the challenges of wearing a system.

Many of you may remember the horror story of mine when I had met a foxy lady in a club, she went home with me, stayed overnight, and THEN when we woke up the next morning, she was in shock when she discovered me without hair!…my system had fallen off during the night!…😳 

Fast forward…4 procedures later (6900 grafts), I once again have my hair back BUT this time “my own transplanted hair” and finally free!

Now, systems have come a long way since then and for some individuals it is a better option.

But for me, I would not trade my grafts for anything!…😎

I will never forget that story, I wake up in cold sweats with that vision of my rug stuck between the bed and the wall and me looking like Joe Pesci in Home Alone

image.jpeg

View my thread

Yep, that’s exactly how I looked!…even the expression…it seemed like it took me FOREVER to find it!…😳

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY