Am I eligible for a HT or do I have retrograde alopecia

I’m considering having a hair transplant at some point in the future if my hair loss stabilizes, but just cut my hair and noticed that the sides look very sparse for some reason. Is this retrograde alopecia or is it normal?

08B624E0-92C8-48D0-A3E3-9F8541FEFC0D.jpeg

Edited by Fox243

Retrograde refers to something else all together.  Your hair in that area does curl and it is rather thin despite your hair being long enough.  Check into DUPA. Pls post photos of your entire donor to confirm retrograde, perhaps even global thinning.  Are you doing anything to help you with retention?

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Yeah, more DUPA than retrograde.  How old are you?

• Like 2

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

At 21 a ethical clinic will not consider you suitable for a hair transplant. I remember your last postings back in May. Stay on the meds and review your situation to see if it’s helping you retain your hair. 
DUPA was mentioned previously to you, IE diffused patterned alopecia. 

• Like 1

I am surprised people are saying ethical clinics won’t do this. A couple of the reputable clinics offered to do this such as hasson and Wong and eugenix. Some did say no, however, such as Dr. Bisanga. 

2 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

I am surprised people are saying ethical clinics won’t do this. A couple of the reputable clinics offered to do this such as hasson and Wong and eugenix. Some did say no, however, such as Dr. Bisanga. 

For your age and diffused loss and not being on Fin particularly long yes it’s shocking. Bisanga is one of the most ethical Drs I know. I know @Doron HaratiHDC also said they would not perform a hair transplant considering your circumstances. 
I know last time you was considering shaving it down and rocking a beard. 

• Like 1

If a clinic was to truly have your best interests at heart they wouldn’t be agreeing to do a hair transplant with this type of loss at such a early age. You could end up chasing the loss and risk further thinning out of the donor area. It could end up looking worse all over. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

It might be because I had sent them the longer hair pictures I had in the other post. Maybe the possible dupa wasn’t apparent in those. 

This is why a face to face consultation is important. Do you know of the actual Drs saw you case from H&W/Eugenix for example ? Best to show them as many different pics as possible. And they should see the DUPA for themselves. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox243 said:

It might be because I had sent them the longer hair pictures I had in the other post. Maybe the possible dupa wasn’t apparent in those. 

Yup, that's why H&W didn't turn you down.  I'd just shave it off and maybe look into Eugenix using beard hair as a donor resource to even things out on top.

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Administrators

Looks like DUPA 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

22 hours ago, Fox243 said:

I’m 21 – I have met with a derm but with my hair longer and she didn’t mention anything about dupa.

@JohnAC71is correct, HDC clinic and any clinic with high ethical morality must never accept 21 years old for a procedure, unfortunately I met guys that were botched at your age and even 19 years old guys, at HDC we accept at least around 24 years old youngest and also most of times we suggest them to wait more years to let the hairloss progress.

2 reasons for that, some 20 years guys have an early aggressive hairloss with NW7 potential, so even if we'll do the procedure and the paitent will be happy with the result, after few years his transplanted hair will certainly fall because the DHT will reach to those grafts.

Second reason, most early 20's paitents are only at NW1-NW2 stage, it's too early,  a procedure can hurt the natural hair and won't fit it, I have seen NW2 guys that had procedures only at temples without the central hairline and it looks really bad after few years, so we recommend that paitents will reach NW3 so the doctor can create the zigzags of the new hairline, we need a regression of 3cm around the hairline for that.

I also believe you have a DUPA, this create lack of stability at the donor area, many doctors believe it's genetics, I had DUPA around 17-18 years ago due to huge stress and hard time I had, but my hair came back after 3 months and around 6 months after my "normal" hair loss started.

• Like 2

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

2 minutes ago, Doron Harati said:

@JohnAC71is correct, HDC clinic and any clinic with high ethical morality must never accept 21 years old for a procedure, unfortunately I met guys that were botched at your age and even 19 years old guys, at HDC we accept at least around 24 years old youngest and also most of times we suggest them to wait more years to let the hairloss progress.

2 reasons for that, some 20 years guys have an early aggressive hairloss with NW7 potential, so even if we'll do the procedure and the paitent will be happy with the result, after few years his transplanted hair will certainly fall because the DHT will reach to those grafts.

Second reason, most early 20's paitents are only at NW1-NW2 stage, it's too early,  a procedure can hurt the natural hair and won't fit it, I have seen NW2 guys that had procedures only at temples without the central hairline and it looks really bad after few years, so we recommend that paitents will reach NW3 so the doctor can create the zigzags of the new hairline, we need a regression of 3cm around the hairline for that.

I also believe you have a DUPA, this create lack of stability at the donor area, many doctors believe it's genetics, I had DUPA around 17-18 years ago due to huge stress and hard time I had, but my hair came back after 3 months and around 6 months after my "normal" hair loss started.

Very nicely put 👌

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Doron Harati said:

Hmm perhaps that’s why some clinics were offering a HT procedure before. This is because I’m already NW4. They were giving a very conservative hairline, which I was fine with. I’m surprised my possible dupa emerged so quickly. 

• Valued Contributor

At 21 unless you want to end up with a head full of scars and potential permanent shock loss I would stick with seeing a good trichologist in person and as about what is going on with your hair. Also if appropriate commence finasteride and give it up to two years to see it's full effect (and if you can tolerate it). If you shave your head now your hair will grow back. I've you have surgery now you can never go back. There are so many variables involved in having a hair transplant/s over the life span. At 21 the risks are even greater.

• Like 2