Would like my transplant to stay in the U.S. Thoughts?

This is the start of my restoration journey...........which has the potential of me buying a nice set of clippers and calling it a day!

1) I have up to $10,000 to spend.

I am open to travelling outside of the US but would prefer not to. I'm new to this forum and have obtained some really valuable information, which has if anything, encouraged me to push on. 

I've been looking closely at Bernsteinmedical (Dr. Shaver New York) FUE-HLC (Turkey) and Bruno Ferreira (Portugal). I'm about to book an in-person consultation with Dr. Shaver after receiving a response via e-mail to my online consultation last week. She recommended I add 2,500 follicular unit grafts to strengthen my frontal hairline and add coverage to the front and top of my scalp. This sounds great, and I've seen some amazing results by her that I would love for myself.

I'm not sure I can afford her, if not any Dr. in the States. I will wait to hear from you on this forum.

FUE-HLC quoted me about 3200-3600 Grafts for the hairline. "With this amount, we can rebuild the hairline and close the temples. We will also give to the front half area more density. We have to transplant the hairline with a density of approximately 50 Grafts/cm2 to provide a dense and natural look."

The two above quotes sound drastically different. Is this due to Dr. Shaver choosing to go with FUT and the Turkish FUE-HLC clinic going with FUE? I'm fine with either method, as most companies seem to be happy with my donor area. 

So if the $10,000 is a pipe dream for a U.S. operation then I'd love to hear your thoughts on that and the other queries I've listed. It would all be greatly appreciated and help solidify my decision.

left.jpg

right.jpg

back.jpg

front.jpg

If you can only spend 10k can you keep saving for another couple years?  You're going to need somewhere between 3-4,000 grafts at least.  If you shortchange the first procedure you're just going to be spending more money later on a second - which could possibly happen regardless where you have the procedure. 

• Like 2

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I agree you're going to need 3-4000 grafts; if you absolutely have to stay in the U.S and only have a 10k budget, then you'll most likely have to go down the FUT route, even then, it will be hard I would think. There are a number of surgeons in Europe though who charge around the 2.5 euro per graft mark and are just as good as the top U.S. surgeons, if not better. 

Look into Pinto, De Freitas, HLC (as you already have), BHR Athens (Bisanga, but it's a 'discounted' rate when he performs the surgery in Greece), Pekiner and Ximena Vila for starters. I think all options are sub 3 euros per graft and they're all world class. You should be able to have the number of grafts you need with one of these choices, give or take a few thousand dollars. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GaryStruthers said:

So if the $10,000 is a pipe dream for a U.S. operation then I'd love to hear your thoughts on that and the other queries I've listed. It would all be greatly appreciated and help solidify my decision.

The problem is that good doctors in the US start around $5/graft. So you'll need more money or only do 2000 grafts.

I can't see you being happy with 2,500 grafts, unless you're looking for a VERY conservative hairline. I agree with the 3,500 - 4,000 quote. That pushes you to mostly turkey, like HLC, Dr. Pekiner, Dr. Bicer, Dr. Demirsoy, and maybe FueCapilar. There are a couple docs on the forum, but I don't know if you're in their budget.

You could research Mexico. Even Colombia. Search the board for those clinics.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MachoVato said:

The problem is that good doctors in the US start around $5/graft. So you'll need more money or only do 2000 grafts.

I can't see you being happy with 2,500 grafts, unless you're looking for a VERY conservative hairline. I agree with the 3,500 - 4,000 quote. That pushes you to mostly turkey, like HLC, Dr. Pekiner, Dr. Bicer, Dr. Demirsoy, and maybe FueCapilar. There are a couple docs on the forum, but I don't know if you're in their budget.

You could research Mexico. Even Colombia. Search the board for those clinics.

Thanks for that. Eugenix have sent me their packages and I really like their results. Still can't wrap my head around the 18% tax involved, but it is what it is.

FUE-HLC and BRUNO FERREIRA are definitely on the short list too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GaryStruthers said:

Thanks for that. Eugenix have sent me their packages and I really like their results. Still can't wrap my head around the 18% tax involved, but it is what it is.

FUE-HLC and BRUNO FERREIRA are definitely on the short list too.

Your doing some good research! Eugenix are excellent, just the travel issue at present. 

• Like 1

Just now, GaryStruthers said:

When you say "travel issue", are you talking about Covid in general, or are there US to India travel restrictions in place? I researched last night but came up with conflicting results.

I can only speak from my own experience but it’s just not possible from the Uk right now. I’m unsure of the US restrictions. It’s on our red list. 

• Like 1