Finally taking the plunge. pics included

Hey everyone. I have decided to take the plunge. I have booked my first hair transplant procedure with Dr. Konior in Chicago, Illinois.  From what I have read he is fantastic and is only a 4 hour drive from me. The procedure is a year away so I have a bit of time. Now, my main area of thinning is my crown. I have been quoted at ~3,000 grafts Via FUT method. I was recommended this because it is my first procedure and I am 35 so I am likely going to need a touch-up or 2 or down the road. Now my secondary concern is my hairline. Right now it is pretty stable. Do you think I should add a hairline touchup to my 3000k crown area? What do y'all think? 

IMG_9653.PNG

IMG_9652.PNG

IMG_9651.PNG

IMG_9656.PNG

IMG_9655.PNG

IMG_9654.PNG

Edited by DaveWheeler
  • Like 1

It seems you're not on medical therapy as shown by your extensive crown loss. It would be prudent to start taking finasteride now and se what happens in the year before your procedure. It could drastically change the amount of grafts needed for your crown. In addition, you could use the extra grafts to beef up the hairline as you'll more than likely lose most of the miniaturized hair in that area. Most hair transplants are performed on the hairline and midscalp first, followed by the crown as the last option. This doesn't always have to be the case but I personally would firm up that hairline in the same surgery as your crown. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

Definitely save some donor for the frontal zone.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Interesting you still have a hairline but everything behind has thinned out.  But gillenator is exactly right, save some for the front later on.  I'd have Dr. K focus everything on the midscalp and crown for your first round.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

It really depends on the quality of your donor and, to an extent, beard. It's great you're doing FUT first and seeing Dr. K, as he'll plan out a long term strategy. Personally, I'd use something like 500 grafts to fortify the front for the first procedure.

More importantly, are you on meds? Also, get on minox, either oral or foam (I suggest Kirkland if you go foam. It's the same stuff).

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)