Stem cell hair transplant?

I've been reading about this in various places, some arguably reputable ones, and I've been wondering if stem cell hair transplant is doable and effective?

My scalp and head shape might be such that the donor area on the back of my head wouldn't be sufficient for 1-3 decent FUE procedures over a course of time to cover the area that needs covering. Whereas, as far as I understand, with stem cells they can "multiply" them and thereby increase yields.

Thank you for any input!

EDIT: Here's a recent interesting article from February 2021 https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/02/14/national/hair-loss-researchers/

Edited by flatLINE

• Valued Contributor

I've been reading about 'stem cell research for hair' for the past 36 years. It seems to be that we are only 5 years away from it. It was 5 years away back in 1985 and for some reason (I shit you not) every 5 years since then, a claim of stem cell research for hair has continued in the media and in scientific circles. I don't know what the reason is but I'm sure it's worth researching for this time frame? However having said that, IMHO I feel that the real answer will be 'gene editing.' Now 'gene editing' is not something that has been coming up every 5 years. It's one thing to grow hair (or even an ear for that matter) on a mouse. But to transfer that result to a human appears to be another world entirely. Let's home I'm wrong. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yep. I agree with Gatsby. I remember reading about new techniques coming out that would provide unlimited donor hair, so that you can never run out of hair to use. That was in 1989.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Indeed, it appears there's nothing concrete on stem cell transplant.

What is your opinion on Dr.Bisanga from Belgium? I've read in a few places that he's one of the top in the world for FUE?

Edited by flatLINE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, flatLINE said:

Indeed, it appears there's nothing concrete on stem cell transplant.

What is your opinion on Dr.Bisanga from Belgium? I've read in a few places that he's one of the top in the world for FUE?

Dr Bisanga/BHR is definitely one of the world elite. Has been putting out consistently excellent results for more than a couple of decades ! 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, deeznuts said:

I thought Dr. Tsuji/Riken encountered some issues? I could've swore I read an article about it

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/shisheido-replicel-bust/3436

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.