Dermmatch - Traction Alopecia (???)

Hello Gents and Ladies. I am new to this forum however I am looking to get some feedback on Dermmatch and potential correlation with further cause of hair loss. In short ive started using Dermmatch over a year ago. I am 44 yo male with slowly developing bald patch at the back of my head. For last 10 years it remained unchanged. Dermmatch worked amazing however every time when i used it I've noticed small amount hair of falling out. I tried to change the technique of applying and used it dry, wet, slightly dry, dabbing, smearing. Final results were always amazing. After almost a year of using it I've noticed the spot i was applying it to became silky smooth with not even single hair on it. In fact surrounding areas i applied it too to became much thinner. I am a strong believer that the fraction caused by sponge applicator simply pulls remaining hair out over the time worsening areas its been applied too. I did applied it extremely gently. Anyone experienced similar? 

• Administrators

Can you share some pictures? Do you have afro hair? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

8 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Can you share some pictures? Do you have afro hair? 

I don't have before photos sorry. No. I am Caucasian white European male from central Europe with medium brown straight hair. But I am sure there was more hair in places where I applied it. Spongy applicator is dragged along scalp therefore it made me think could lead to traction alopecia and cause the loss of hair in places where applied as hair remained unchanged for last 10 plus years and it worsened since started applying it. No skin redness, itching so no other skin reactions were present.  

Edited by Artursco

16 hours ago, Artursco said:

After almost a year of using it I've noticed the spot i was applying it to became silky smooth with not even single hair on it. In fact surrounding areas i applied it too to became much thinner.

Sounds like you have the kind of hair loss most guys have, the normal kind. Always progressing until the whole top of your head is silky smooth. If shaving it all off or accepting your baldness is unacceptable, you need to be doing more (finasteride, minoxidil, hair transplants) than just trying to cover your head up with Dermmatch.

6 hours ago, ciaus said:

Sounds like you have the kind of hair loss most guys have, the normal kind. Always progressing until the whole top of your head is silky smooth. If shaving it all off or accepting your baldness is unacceptable, you need to be doing more (finasteride, minoxidil, hair transplants) than just trying to cover your head up with Dermmatch.

Yes. I get that but it was unchanged for last 10-11 years. Not progressing. When I was in 30s patch started appearing it took 2-3 years and everything settled steady. I used minoxidil for over 2 years no change, finsterdide for 2 years no change so I stopped. This was 8 years ago. Since i stopped no change in hair loss. Got Dermmatch as a present last August. Started using. Year after hair loss progressed badly. How come. Again I no redness from it, no allergic reaction. Used it daily. Every time straight after shower first thing in the morning. Hair towel dry hair. Drop of water. So yeah…..only thing I changed is I started using Dermmatch. I believe spongy applicator was pulling out my weaker hair and over time simply speeded up/worsened my hair loss. A year ago i could use Toppik only. No way I could get good coverage now. So in short nothing happening for 10 years. August last year started using dermmatch daily. Spot smoothened and since and grew in size.  

Edited by Artursco

7 hours ago, Artursco said:

So yeah…..only thing I changed is I started using Dermmatch.

The big change that matters is you are always getting older. Hair loss doesn't just start in your 30s and settle down or stop after a few years. You can't just measure hair loss progression by how much visible hair you see in the mirror. It can take years of DHT damage to your hair follicles under the skin before you notice a corresponding reduction in your visible hair. That's why its important once you start finasteride to keep taking it.

Right. Got the advise of trichologist and was told that months of applying dermmatch could stress thin areas leading to further accelerated loss. Not the dermmatch itself but daily application, fraction and using sponge aplictaor could be constantly stressing weak areas. So yeah as I thought unfortunately.  

9 hours ago, Artursco said:

Right. Got the advise of trichologist and was told that months of applying dermmatch could stress thin areas leading to further accelerated loss. Not the dermmatch itself but daily application, fraction and using sponge aplictaor could be constantly stressing weak areas. So yeah as I thought unfortunately.  

I'm wondering if you're somehow in business competition with products like Dermmatch. But maybe you are just a normal guy overthinking and obsessing about this. Either way, you're not providing any picture evidence and you haven't seen a medical professional for an actual diagnosis. And any 'trichologist' that thinks lightly patting your head with a sponge applicator each morning is going to accelerate hair loss needs a psychologist. LOL 

To the other people reading this topic, Dermmatch has been around for years used by many people without any issues, myself included. And the forum moderator. It can be a very useful tool for managing your hair loss by giving you that temporary appearance of having a fuller head of hair now. That way you can delay and plan your hair transplants better. And expect the areas that you are applying it to will continue thinning because its only meant to help conceal the hair loss while its still happening. Only DHT blockers like Finasteride that have been medically proven to slow down loss are going to help stem that tide.

Ultimately hair loss is a lifelong battle after it starts and products like Dermmatch and Finasteride can help you get through it with the minimum number of hair transplants. That's good news for you, not so much good news for people that make money off hair transplants and the thousands of fake products out there that don't actually work.

On 7/12/2021 at 6:38 PM, ciaus said:

I'm wondering if you're somehow in business competition with products like Dermmatch. But maybe you are just a normal guy overthinking and obsessing about this. Either way, you're not providing any picture evidence and you haven't seen a medical professional for an actual diagnosis. And any 'trichologist' that thinks lightly patting your head with a sponge applicator each morning is going to accelerate hair loss needs a psychologist. LOL 

To the other people reading this topic, Dermmatch has been around for years used by many people without any issues, myself included. And the forum moderator. It can be a very useful tool for managing your hair loss by giving you that temporary appearance of having a fuller head of hair now. That way you can delay and plan your hair transplants better. And expect the areas that you are applying it to will continue thinning because its only meant to help conceal the hair loss while its still happening. Only DHT blockers like Finasteride that have been medically proven to slow down loss are going to help stem that tide.

Ultimately hair loss is a lifelong battle after it starts and products like Dermmatch and Finasteride can help you get through it with the minimum number of hair transplants. That's good news for you, not so much good news for people that make money off hair transplants and the thousands of fake products out there that don't actually work.

Sorry but this part: “ To the other people reading this topic, Dermmatch has been around for years used by many people without any issues, myself included. And the forum moderator. It can be a very useful tool for managing your hair loss by giving you that temporary appearance of having a fuller head of hair now.”

Simply you are terrified for some reason people might be concerned to use it after reading my post. Very strange? Hmmmmmmm makes me think…

Anecdotally, I have read quite a few posts over the years from forum users who have speculated their hair loss has got worse as a result of using concealers. I have no research to base my assumption on other than these posts that I have read, however I do personally feel consistent use of concealers on thinning areas has the potential to worsen your overall hair quality and health. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Anecdotally, I have read quite a few posts over the years from forum users who have speculated their hair loss has got worse as a result of using concealers. I have no research to base my assumption on other than these posts that I have read, however I do personally feel consistent use of concealers on thinning areas has the potential to worsen your overall hair quality and health. 

This is what I mean…with dermmatch is the roughness of application process. You not patting your scalp and your hair with it. You dragging the applicator (even their youtube clip shows that). Small weak hair are being simply pulled out with the time causing baldness more obvious. I am 1000000% sure…