Transplant Experience

I had 2 sessions of "punch grafts" in 1977 that did not work. I wouldn't advise anyone to have any transplant. The pain I suffered after and since has been awful. Besides the damage that was done to my head I have suffered with sharp shooting pains in my head where the damage was done. It was a complete waste of money. Don't do it.

Bit of a strange post. You're just scaremongering potential newbies who are coming here for information without any prior knowledge; I feel bad for you of course, but this is completely nonsensical. You had what is, by todays standards, basically a surgical procedure from the dark ages. Things are very different today than they were nearly 45 years ago. Hair transplants are performed completely differently and have come a very long way.

That's not to say people don't still get butchered regularly and end up with terrible results, excessive scarring and physiological issues not unlike yourself, but that's why this forum exists... so people can avoid that. As long as you do your research, are aware of what you're getting into and go to a very good doctor, there is essentially zero chance of these things happening. 

the simple fact is, if you're a good candidate for surgery to begin with, are proactive at maintaining your native hair and make wise decisions regarding choice of doctor etc, you can have your hair restored and enjoy it for a very very long time; well into your later years in life. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tangoman14 said:

I had 2 sessions of "punch grafts" in 1977 that did not work. I wouldn't advise anyone to have any transplant. The pain I suffered after and since has been awful. Besides the damage that was done to my head I have suffered with sharp shooting pains in my head where the damage was done. It was a complete waste of money. Don't do it.

Where did you have your transplant done?

Thankfully the Hair Transplant industry has moved on since the now antiquated/barbaric procedures of the 70s. Today’s methods are much more refined and give (normally) good results. Some OG members such as @Gatsbyhad some of the older methods/techniques. 
Please spend some time and look at the forum results from the modern methods of transplant and see for yourself. These days it’s mostly FUE results we see although FUT is also being performed. Both have there place depending on the need of the individual.

Over the years I have also seen some excellent repairs of the older procedures and it’s always a possibility ! Scars can been covered, grafts can be removed/divided and replaced. So many options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup just look at the flap/Juri procedure…. Yikes 🥺

Looks horrific. The worse thing we will see nowadays are bad FUT/FUE scarring, but its just not on the same level as the outdated procedures. 

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 1

In 1977, Star Wars: A New Hope was introduced to the world. Hair transplants have changed a lot since then.

Medication for Male Pattern Baldness: Topical Dutasteride - Topical Minoxidil 5% - Ketoconazole Shampoo

Medication for Cicatricial Alopecia: Hydroxychloroquine  - Topical Clobestasol - Doxycycline

• Valued Contributor
9 hours ago, MachoVato said:

We've come a LOOOONG way since the 70's!

old-method-hair-transplant-plug-implantation.jpg.7610dd7bdf56ebf3a8edf4dd571813fb.jpg

I had mine in 1985 at 18 years of age. My only saving grace is that I only had the exact same biopsy punch used (as you can see the size of in this photo) along my hairline and up into my temples. Unfortunately it was performed very low and it took a further 5-6 years of plastic surgery to remove via small strip type procedures right along the hairline ultimately leaving an unsightly strip scar as you see in the donor area of FUT patients. As to my donor area it was bullet riddled with the punch extractions from the two punch graft operations. However i have come to a place of peace with it after 25 years of wearing hair pieces to cover not only my baldness but the scars themselves.

DSCF0590.jpg

DSCF0573.jpg

• Administrators

I’m sorry but 1977! This is a troll post

• Haha 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...