Planning a vacation around a hair transplant?

I figure if I'm going to fly somewhere to get a hair transplant, I might as well make the most of it. So I've seriously been considering maybe booking a few extra days at a hotel and bringing someone along with me. I'm currently WFH, and even ignoring the WFH stuff, my company is pretty generous with their vacation days and it wouldn't be very difficult for me to conceivably book off an entire month at a time... I think I get about a months worth of paid time off per year. Maybe if I booked it in December, I might even be able to take vacation days from the following year as well. I could conceivably spend a ton of time without having any work related issues. 

Is it practical to go out and explore the city and do activities after a transplant? Obviously, I assume it's probably not a good idea to go swimming or do something that might expose your scalp to potential damage but I was thinking of at least trying some restaurants or even going sightseeing. What kind of activities can I actually go out and partake in if I do get a transplant? I'd probably be bringing someone with me cause if I figure if I'm already getting a hotel room + a flight, adding another flight to bring someone with me would just be pocket change. 

What kind of measures can I take to protect/hide my scalp once I get a transplant? I would want to wear something to at least cover my scalp cause if I'm going to a restaurant, I'd prefer not to look like I have a bunch of holes in my head. How would I balance going on vacation with the fact that I probably got a transplant a couple days ago?

Also, just wondering if anyone else has planned a vacation around a hair transplant? Or is this something impractical?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MachoVato said:

Why not have your vacation BEFORE the procedure?

I agree with this. Go a week early and spend the week before the procedure sight seeing. You may even try calling up the clinic when you get there and ask if they have any free time during the week to see you just to have the Dr actually evaluate you in person (assuming you haven't had an in person consultation as it's in another country) and get a better idea of what will be done. They may or may not be able to do that depending on their schedule, but if they can it will take a lot of anxiety off of you on the actual day of the procedure. You will already be familiar with your way around the city and you'll know what the actual plan is and you'll have time to go back to the hotel to think about it in case you want to make some changes. Then stay a week afterwards as well, so you can go back for a cleaning the next day and spend a few days letting the swelling go down and most of the scabs come off before you have to get back on a plane to go home.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Its highly likely the 1st week aftet surgery you will be very sleep deprived from having to lay on your back during sleep and spraying saline spray once every 2 hrs. And then there is the itchiness, possible swelling, etc. 

You may feel totally normal after a week, but I wouldnt wear a hat for the first 2-3 weeks post op. Id be too nervous it could make a graft fall out or otherwise hurt the healing process. And without a hat it will be obvious to others something has gone on.

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

You can do that but personally if I am going to make a life altering decision the thought of scenic views is the last thing on my mind. I would be too consumed with everything about my surgery, post op care and the future results.

Well, I wouldn't worry so much about the surgery or future results so much since it's out of my control and I've pretty much been planning all of it out for months so it's not like I want to be making last minute adjustments. I'd probably just make sure I follow the pre-operative instructions to the best of my ability but beyond that there really isn't that much you can do is there?

With post-op care, is it just applying saline, taking medication, and doing whatever at certain intervals during the day? In theory, couldn't you go out for a couple hours to eat at a restaurant and head back to the hotel room afterward for post-op? 

4 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I agree with this. Go a week early and spend the week before the procedure sight seeing. You may even try calling up the clinic when you get there and ask if they have any free time during the week to see you just to have the Dr actually evaluate you in person (assuming you haven't had an in person consultation as it's in another country) and get a better idea of what will be done. They may or may not be able to do that depending on their schedule, but if they can it will take a lot of anxiety off of you on the actual day of the procedure. You will already be familiar with your way around the city and you'll know what the actual plan is and you'll have time to go back to the hotel to think about it in case you want to make some changes. Then stay a week afterwards as well, so you can go back for a cleaning the next day and spend a few days letting the swelling go down and most of the scabs come off before you have to get back on a plane to go home.

That sounds like a really good idea. I might just end up doing that. Though just wondering if I took a 3 week vacation and scheduled my transplant at the start, would I be able to do stuff after resting for a week or so?

3 hours ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

Its highly likely the 1st week aftet surgery you will be very sleep deprived from having to lay on your back during sleep and spraying saline spray once every 2 hrs. And then there is the itchiness, possible swelling, etc. 

You may feel totally normal after a week, but I wouldnt wear a hat for the first 2-3 weeks post op. Id be too nervous it could make a graft fall out or otherwise hurt the healing process. And without a hat it will be obvious to others something has gone on.

Ah, I see. Could you at least wear like a surgical cap or something?