Scarring left behind by re-locating grafts

I had a previous hair transplant, where the surgeon did a very non-ideal placement of my corner grafts. So much so that my first pick for physician wouldn't consider a procedure on me unless he could relocate them, even if I was happy with the placement (I'm not). 

My concern is scarring. I'm probably in the top 1% of those who scar easily. I am wondering if anyone has has any experience with relocating grafts. 

I believe feriduni has a few cases posted here with punched out grafts. Scarring will always be there, it’s just a matter of how visible they are which depends on your own healing characteristics. Doctor skill is only part of it. Another question to ponder is how much would others notice the scarring?

• Like 1

• Administrators

Check out this thread

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Believe it or not, punch-outs in the hairline actually heal very well.  I've had multi's removed and the scars are non-existent.

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks everyone. 

I am probably in the bottom 1% of scarring. I got a small cut on my face a few years back, and that resulted in a scar. So I suspect there would be some scarring with punchouts. 

However, I received a hair transplant with a very poor graft placement in the past. The surgeon I consulted with said that he would not work around that, and would do a reposition. 

So for me, it's picking the lesser of two evils. 

• Valued Contributor
On 6/17/2021 at 1:15 PM, HairRun said:

I had a previous hair transplant, where the surgeon did a very non-ideal placement of my corner grafts. So much so that my first pick for physician wouldn't consider a procedure on me unless he could relocate them, even if I was happy with the placement (I'm not). 

My concern is scarring. I'm probably in the top 1% of those who scar easily. I am wondering if anyone has has any experience with relocating grafts. 

Without being able to see pics of your results this is one of the most common repairs. How bad is the scarring from the original procedure. Scars do continue to improve over many, many years. All the best!

23 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Without being able to see pics of your results this is one of the most common repairs. How bad is the scarring from the original procedure. Scars do continue to improve over many, many years. All the best!

Scars for the regular implanted hairs? There are none, but isn't that normal? Since the grafts are being placed in slits, no skin is being removed. For relocating grafts, I hear the phrase 'punch them out' is used, so that led me to believe some skin is being removed in relocating hair. But I actually never bothered to figure out what this procedure entails. 

Anytime tissue is cut, scar tissue will form in the healing process...the real question is, "How visible is it?"

And of course the individual's physiology is a major factor too.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Removed multi-haired grafts from the hairline heal similarly to popped zits.  Some people have visible scars from acne, others don't.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Over the years I have seen a number of healed hairlines where grafts were removed via excision and also extraction...the skill of the surgeon is imperative regarding how invasive the removal process was....because some cases turned out well and some horrific.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2021 at 12:50 AM, 5BetaReductase said:

If it’s only a few grafts have you thought about using electrolysis? That would eliminate the possibility of scarring.

Wouldn't this destroy the grafts?