Need advice about HT and picking a doctor

Hello everyone,

I am planning to get a FUE HT in the next few months, and I'm so glad I found this forum. I am 38 years old, have been using Minoxidil and Finasteride for years now, and I think I am NW 4 or 5 (not sure). After a lot of research here I contacted a few clinics and narrowed down my choices to the following doctors in order:

1.  Dr. Bicer: 2 sessions (up to 4000 graft for front, up to 2200 graft for crown next year)
    Price: $10,000 total
  2.  Dr. Nader: 2500 graft front + next day 2000 crown
    Price: $8000
  3. HLC: 3800 graft for hairline and close to temple. Requires another surgery next year.
    Price: $12,500 for just the first surgery
  4.  Dr. Pekiner: Still awaiting consultation ...
  5.  Cinik: 3500 graft
    Price: $3500
  6.  ASMED: 5500 graft entire head.
    Price $16,500

(Not considering these clinics)
    --------------------------------
  7.  Dr. Demirosy: 2800 graft (!!)
  8. Dr. Yemen: 4500 graft
    Price: $3300
  9. Dr. Kesser: Didn't even bother replying.

I am leaning more toward Dr. Bicer and Dr. Nader, but my question is about their approach, and evaluations. With Dr. Bicer, I really don't want to do two sessions, and I think 6200 graft from my donor area is just too much, and will be noticeable if I cut my hair short. Do you guys think I have enough donor? I always felt that my donor density is not as good.
I need to talk to her and see if they would just do 4000 grafts on my entire front and crown. I am not looking to have a full head of hair, just add some volume to what's already there. Based on the pictures, do you guys recommend that and think that is enough? I am from US, and two travels to Turkey is just not very feasible for me.

Dr. Nader is much closer to me, still does two sessions the next day, is that safe? He thinks 4500 graft is enough. Do you think that is enough or will I require another HT in future? Having a really hard time choosing between Dr. Bicer or Nader, specially that their approach is very different.

I feel like it's hard to justify the price of HLC, ASMED and Dr. Pekiner. With a few thousand dollars more I can have the surgery in here in US. 

Based on the information, and pictures, how would you recommend proceeding with HT for me? My budget is up to $10K. I don't think HT worth anything more than that to me.

Last question is regarding the DHI method. Dr. Bicer and Nader don't use this method. Is it a marketing thing? I noticed only low budget clinic advertise DHI method. 

I really appreciate any feedback and advise in advance! This is a hard decision.

04.jpg

02.jpg

01.jpg

long_hair.jpg

Edited by SamV7

I'm surprised these clinics think you have that good of a donor area for 3500+ grafts. Maybe with hair from your beard? 

I don't agree that for a couple more grand you can get it done properly in the US. Prices start around $5/graft for FUE. (Which is why I elected to go to HLC.) I like your choices, though. Nader and Bicer are legit options and at a very reasonable cost. 

Have you considered FUT? It might be a better option for maximizing your yield, and allows for a second transplant via FUE, if you desire. 

Hey, thanks for reply. So is the donor area that bad? To be fair I used a flash light to take pictures, and I cut my hair really short.  and it may show more skin. Here is another with short hair again and moved my hair up to see that grafts better.  That was actually my concern that my donor may not be very dense for 6000 graft, and that is why I was leaning more toward Dr. Nader who wants to do up to 4000 grafts. Should I even do a HT surgery? I honestly don't want the scar from FUT, and rather shave it all off. 

short_hair.jpg

Edited by SamV7

I’m kind in similar situation with the donor as you. I think online consultation only really are a rough estimate. I trying to keep in mind I might get more or maybe less then what’s originally estimated. But looking Dr Bicer reviews on here, I think would be good choice for you she seems she can do a lot with minimal grafts.

Your case reminds me a bit of this guy:

Though your donor looks a bit better density and hair thicker in texture.  I would consult in person within the US (or Canada) with doctors who do both FUT and FUE, even if you don't intend to go with them.

You're effectively a NW6 and could even go to a 7 later in life.

If it were me I'd concentrate on the front half in getting a decent hairline (3000 FUT), then do the rest in a second session (FUT and/or FUE).  Without doubt you will need 2 or more sessions.

• Thanks 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

10 hours ago, Zoomster said:

Why isn't Eugenix on your list for consultation?

When you're not dealing with optimal donor it would serve you well to check in with them ..

He is in India, right? Travelling to India feels very difficult to me. I should probably consult with a surgeon here to determine how bad is my donor area. Left side is not very good, but I think my back is pretty dense. 

12 hours ago, 1978matt said:

Your case reminds me a bit of this guy:

Though your donor looks a bit better density and hair thicker in texture.  I would consult in person within the US (or Canada) with doctors who do both FUT and FUE, even if you don't intend to go with them.

You're effectively a NW6 and could even go to a 7 later in life.

If it were me I'd concentrate on the front half in getting a decent hairline (3000 FUT), then do the rest in a second session (FUT and/or FUE).  Without doubt you will need 2 or more sessions.

This is great advise, I should probably meet with someone local here in US and see how bad my case is. Seems like everyone agrees that I have a weak donor area hahaaa, but I am not very convinced if that's the case due to a bad picture, but I will definitely consult here in US. 

That's what I was afraid of, and wanted to avoid two surgeries. Thanks for the info though. From what I found out so far, both Dr. Bicer and Nader are excellent doctors, and can't go wrong with either of them. Thanks mate. 

For me, your donor does not look that bad, 6.000 Grafts should be possible. Your requirements are pretty complicated. 5.000-6.000 grafts in one surgery for 10k leaves ony a few clinics. If you go FUE, most clinics do not offer more than 3.000-4.000 donorgrafts at once. Eugenix should be an option. For FUT i don't know a clinic that will fit in your budget.

I would probably go with HLC and mix in 1.000 beard grafts, if possible. ~4.000 Grafts should be a huge improvement and you could then plan surgery for the crown without pressure. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, your donor looks better in those photos.

I agree that you need to manage your expectations. The "one and done" approach might be difficult. Sure you can get full coverage but you'll sacrifice density. Most clinics won't go over 5000 grafts in one procedure... there are limits to how much trauma you want to introduce to your scalp. 

If you really don't want a second op, Eugenix has a good record of mega-sessions. I would add Dr. Zarev in Bulgaria as a possibility. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

@Forty Six & 2 and @MachoVato, thank you so much for the advise. I think I mentioned, but I don't have high expectations from a HT surgery, and just looking to add a little bit of volume to existing hair, not a full head of hair for sure. I'll try to consult with Eugenix but I doubt I'd go to India. Thanks for confirming Dr. Bicer and Nader as good surgeons. I'll contact them to see if they have availability and see if she can work with just adding volume for me.

• 2 weeks later...

One question I forgot to ask was about losing native hairs due to after surgery shock. My native hair is thin in some area and pretty think specially in the hairline. Will I lose those permanently, or it's varies from one patient to patient. Please keep in mind that I am on Finestride and was asked by Dr. Bicer to stop 3 months before the procedure. I read in a few topics here that it depends on how precise the surgeon places the new transplanted grafts next to native hairs. I think during the shedding period it'll look worse than what it is today.