IS GREEN TEA HELPFUL

My questions are

1. IS green tea helpful for ceasing hair loss ?

2. What quantity should be consumed for better results ?

3. How Does It help In fighting hairloss?

Ans-I googled and found out that

""Update: Green Tea May Prevent Hair Loss

Until now there had been no direct research about the effect of green tea on hair loss, but a recent study revealed some tasty results. In the study mice with identical hair loss were selected and then split into two groups: group A received green tea in their drinking water, group B received only regular drinking water. The results showed that green tea halted hair loss in *all* of the test group and even triggered new hair growth in some of the mice. Significantly, some of the mice who were not invited to the tea party showed continued hair loss.

We observed hair regrowth among 33% of the mice that received green tea extract and did not observe any spontaneous remission or hair regrowth among the controls. Eight percent of these controls of showed progressive hair loss during the period of our study, whereas none of the mice who received polyphenoline extract showed any progressive hair loss.

Published 22 July 2005 in J Natl Med Assoc, 97(6): 816-8.""

I am Going Bald,

It's an interesting study. But I highly doubt mice experience DHT related male pattern baldness.

Mice are built very different from men. In order to suggest Green Tea may help men and women fight various hair loss conditions, clinical studies need to be performed on human subjects.

Therefore, until such evidence can be produced, I'd stick with what's proven.

Though I have heard (not researched) that Green Tea is good for the immune system. It also tastes good. But to date, I've seen no evidence to suggest it helps men and women treat baldness.

Bill

Green tea is the bane of my existance as a surgeon. It dramatically thins the blood and is a nightmare. I make everyone stop it 10 days prior to surgery.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

This is what my pre-op instructions look like:

1) Do not take medications that contain Acetylsalicylic Acid, like aspirin, before the procedure

2) Do not take for at least 1 week before the procedure anti-inflammatory medications or steroids (Voltaren, Cataflan, Ibuprofen, Walcofen, ect??¦) and do not take any ???Nature products??? (Gingobiloba, Ginseng)

3) Do not drink alcohol at least 5 days before the procedure

4) (MEN) Do not use Minoxidil (Rogaine) one week before the procedure

5) (WOMEN) Use Minoxidil (Rogaine) one week before the procedure

6) Do not take Vitamin E or other vitamins for 3 weeks before the surgery

7) Suspend GYM activities for at least 5 days before the procedure

8) DO NOT SMOKE for at least 5 days before the procedure

take care...

• 2 years later...

I've read this on another site,

"Esfandiari A, Kelly AP.

The effects of tea polyphenolic compounds on hair loss among rodents.

J Natl Med Assoc. 2005 Aug;97(8):1165-9.

Abstact:

The objective of this study was to examine the effects of polyphenolic compounds, present in noncommercially available green tea, on hair loss among rodentts. In an experimental study, we randomly assigned 60female Balb/black mice, which had developed spontaneous hair loss on the head, neck and dorsal areas into two equal groups; A (experimental) and B (control). Group A received 50% fraction of polyphenol extract from dehydrated green tea in their drinking water for six months. Group B received regular drinking water. Both groups were fed regular rodent diets (Purina Rodent Chow 5001) and housed individually in polycarbonate cages. The results showed that 33% of the mice in experimental Group A, who received polyphenol extract in their drinking water, had significant hair regrowth during six months of treatment (p = 0.014). No hair growth was observed among mice in the control group, which received regular water."

AND that "The catechins in green are inhibitors of Type I 5 alpha-reductase." Isn't that the same as the one blocked by Finasteride?

I understand the negative of green tea before a transplant is that it has the possibility of thinning the blood, however, what if used after a transplant? Post-op a cup or two a day or something?

As above, I'd stop that Green Tea 10 days preop. As far as I am concerned, you can mix it with tequila and take it right after we're done... I'm only worried about 3000 slits oozing. Once the grafts are in place, I do not think it will have any impact. Now if you have too much tequila with the tea, you might bump the grafts out of your head...

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

As above, I'd stop that Green Tea 10 days preop. As far as I am concerned, you can mix it with tequila and take it right after we're done... I'm only worried about 3000 slits oozing. Once the grafts are in place, I do not think it will have any impact. Now if you have too much tequila with the tea, you might bump the grafts out of your head...

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Thanks for your input Dr. Lindsey. I think it's important a lot of green tea drinkers that are planning on getting a transplant realize the excessive bleeding it may cause during surgery. So, 10 days before, stop drinking green tea people, drink as much as you want afterwards. lol at the "Now if you have too much tequila with the tea, you might bump the grafts out of your head"