Bulged scap hairline years after transplant

Hi all, I have had my HT back in 2016, doesn't matter where, but at one of the recommended clinics.

Long story short, after great results, over the years I kept losing my transplanted hair so I now shave or buzz my hair.

I noticed by touch, that along the right side of the hairline the scalp is bulged. I  attached a photo to show you can see it is bulged in the hairline and a small bulge behind it.

Left side is Ok. This is persistent since I got the transplant, but I noticed it only now after shaving. It is a little bit sensitive if I buzz it to hard with the machine, comparing to other parts of the scalp.

Is it harmful? Or harmless? What can I do about it?

Talking with the clinic about it 5 years in delay, sounds a bit awkward, but I wanted to know if it is common or you already seen something like that.

P.S - I don't know if this is the right forum to post this so please let me know

Screenshot_20210422-114551_WhatsApp.jpg.09132255e877639fe977ac01e6e51e8d.jpg

The raised area that you describe as sensitive compared to other areas of your skin. You may want to see a dermatologist and have that looked at. You could have some inflammatory conditions that need to be addressed. And it could be related to the unusual hair loss. There are diseases like scarring alopecias, where your immune system attacks your hair follicles, and if not effectively treated ends up destroying them. I have a scarring alopecia, LPP, in my crown area that has been dormant in recent years. But it could flare up at any time so I don't risk transplanting any hairs into that area.

Hi thanks for the replies, I will definitely check this up.

However, I'm not sure it's related to the hair loss, because specifically in this area, the transplanted hairs survived until now lol.

I am kinda sure this bump is there since 5 years ago, since the transplant.

2 hours ago, dobler said:

Hi thanks for the replies, I will definitely check this up.

However, I'm not sure it's related to the hair loss, because specifically in this area, the transplanted hairs survived until now lol.

I am kinda sure this bump is there since 5 years ago, since the transplant.

The raised area may just be extra scarring tissue from putting in the grafts too densely or sub optimal healing in the weeks/months after the transplant. And not trying to freak you out, but scarring alopecias don't necessarily present with symptoms on the skin surface like swelling, redness, inflammation while they are doing their damage. Hopefully it was just your doc taking some hairs from vulnerable areas of your donor and its just taken time to bear that out.

Looks like ridging from dense grafting or using chunkier grafts in the area and etc .  Really limited on what you can do.  I have a bigger area from the damage done to my scalp which includes ridging and cobblestoning.  

i’d reach out to Dr Mwamba, Dr Bisanga, and Dr Cooley to see what can be done

• Administrators

Sorry to hear that you lost your transplanted hair. It looks slightly raised, have you considered laser fraxel surgery?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.