How can I stop balding? (Male, 17)

legofrog

• Valued Contributor

It's a little hard to tell from the pics. However I suggest you make an appointment with a good dermatologist and see what he/she recommends. There are medications such as minoxidil, finasteride and dutasteride that he or she may prescribe. Above all else please do not go into a panic. You have a great head of hair. Do keep us posted on how you get on and if you have any other questions. There is no such thing as a wrong question. Thanks for sharing and take care.

• Thanks 1

Respectfully disagree that this is a great head of hair. Clear, visible balding at 17 almost certainly guarantees that OP will reach a high Norwood stage in his 20s. 

OP should hop on Fin or DUT asap as long as a doctor says its ok (not sure if 17 is too young or not). 

I wouldn't even think about getting a HT until you are at least 25 (and even that is really young), otherwise you are setting yourself up for a long stressful path of multiple hair transplants and chasing further loss. 

In the meantime, if your hairloss gets worse, maybe explore shorter-length haircuts. 

• Like 1

The vast majority of hairlines reshape to some degree because of the influx of hormones during puberty. You could be noticing your hair transitioning from juvenile to adult.

IMO, you're too young for Finasteride and other hormone altering drugs -- your endocrine system hasn't fully developed at 17. I don't think topical minoxidil (Rogaine) would be out of the question, though.

Probably best to consult with a doctor who has experience treating hairloss. They can give you some actual medical advice and hopefully a little peace of mind going forward.

• Like 2

I’m not convinced this is MPB from the pictures you have provided.
Because of the length of your hair, the harsh light, and the tugging nature of you pulling your hair back, it can distort the view of your hairline, and make it appear like recession when in fact it’s not.

Sometimes people also just naturally have lower density in their temples/side of the head area than others areas of their head, without having MPB. If you buzzed your hair down, I wouldn’t be surprised if you had a pretty juvenile hairline still. 
It actually looks quite similar to a lot of female hairlines, where you have the very fine baby hairs softly around your temple corners. 

Anyway - the best advice you can take away from this thread is to go and visit a reputable hair loss surgeon. They will advise you far better than a dermatologist as to whether you are experiencing early hair loss and can discuss options with you. 
If they suggest or recommend any medications - please then discuss these further with other relevant doctors, and together you can come up with a strategy (again, if this is required). 

You’ll no doubt get some morons on here telling you to jump on finasteride or dutasteride as though it’s like eating a smartie. Don’t. First of all you’re only 17, and it is unclear to anyone of us on the forum as to what stage of your pubescent development you are at. Second of all, they are very effective medications for stopping or slowing down MPB related hairloss, however in some instances, can come with some pretty heavy side effects . . Therefore it is important you talk these through with a medically trained professional, because it might not be something you will ultimately be prepared to ‘risk’.  

As a young kid concerned about your image, I understand being impulsive is quite a common reaction - however try your best to keep your head on your shoulders and stay smart about this. 

For good measure I’ve attached a picture of two NW 1 males who also have signs of their scalp in the same areas as you do, with their hair tied back at a length similar to your own. 

AAB19D34-B27F-4250-B4A1-39990E8E1F3C.jpeg

2A0F892A-7EF2-4519-AB51-93E63E3738A7.jpeg

• Like 1