Hair Transplant 9.5 months (getting nervous)

Hey Everyone,

I got a hair transplant (2000 graft FUT) at a reputable doctor back in June 2020. I am now just about 9.5 months out and comparing my results to others at this timeframe has left me anxious about the results of my transplant. He informed me I was a slow grower but the transplanted area seems so thin that I think even a miraculous maturation of my hair would not be sufficient. Here is what I look like at this time. I can post a timeline of pictures from day 1 until now but I didn't want to flood this post unless someone wishes to see them.

So my question is is it too early to tell the success of this transplant? I have a light skin tone with dark hair and it is abundantly obvious in the mirror which hair is transplant and which hair is native. I'm going for an in-person follow-up at around the 11 month mark and i am hoping the situation improves by then. Let me know if other photos are required to make an opinion.

20210405_212629.jpg

20210405_212609.jpg

20210405_212618.jpg

20210405_205226.jpg

20210405_205351.jpg

20210405_205355.jpg

Edited by Hairguy650
formatting

• Administrators

Can you share some before pictures? Also, could you share graft placement photos. It's hard to judge these pictures without context.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1-2 were the day of surgery

3-4 were a few months before giving you an idea of how i looked "naturally"

5-7 were the day of surgery when i got back home 

Looking back at pictures 3-4 it feels like i went from a guy with some natural recession to somewhat of an unnatural state. Let me know if these pictures help 

20200618_064101.jpg

20200618_064054.jpg

Inked20191221_145127_LI.jpg

Inked20191221_145143_LI.jpg

20200618_204055.jpg

20200618_204100.jpg

20200618_205032.jpg

2 minutes ago, stephcurry30 said:

Who was the surgeon or clinic?? 

I'd rather not say yet since he has been extremely helpful throughout the whole process and I dont want to dissuade people from going to him. He has a good track record and reputation so I'm hoping he is right and I'm just growing extremely slow. 

Ok so personally I think that was a large area to cover with 2000 grafts. You have had growth but the density isn’t the best. Will it improve ? Well yes but I don’t think the end result will give the result your looking for.

It would seem you would need a further ht to give adequate density. I’m glad the clinic is giving you support. What feedback are they giving you ? 

• Like 1

my guess is Dr. Bloxham based off FUT frontal band. and the bandage looks vert similar to how mine was. I know that’s a dumb piece to compare but it does look very similar to my bandage and my hairline design.

i’m currently at 5 months for what it’s worth from Dr. Bloxham. I am still early but definitely in a similar situation as you. really hoping it improves.

9.5 months is a bit late in the process but I suppose it is possible it will improve. some say give it 1.5 years 

Edited by hairlossPA

15 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Ok so personally I think that was a large area to cover with 2000 grafts. You have had growth but the density isn’t the best. Will it improve ? Well yes but I don’t think the end result will give the result your looking for.

It would seem you would need a further ht to give adequate density. I’m glad the clinic is giving you support. What feedback are they giving you ? 

I am updating the doctor every month or so on my progress. He said that overall the transplant still looks very immature and there is still a long way to go. He mentioned that slow growers are out there and the waiting is the worst part so if anything he is putting me at ease. He noted that some patients won't see a final result until 18 months. The reason I wanted to follow-up in person is so I can get a better expert opinion that the photos are unable to show.

2 minutes ago, Hairguy650 said:

I am updating the doctor every month or so on my progress. He said that overall the transplant still looks very immature and there is still a long way to go. He mentioned that slow growers are out there and the waiting is the worst part so if anything he is putting me at ease. He noted that some patients won't see a final result until 18 months. The reason I wanted to follow-up in person is so I can get a better expert opinion that the photos are unable to show.

At 9.5 months even the slower growers are not going to see a huge difference in there results. It’s good they are in dialogue with you but i really can’t see it improving too much. It’s usually the crown area which can take up to 18 months for further improvement.

Yes I also thought Dr Bloxham as it’s his kind of work, FUT reasonable low amount of grafts. 
If it was then he would definitely stand behind his work and give you all the help you need moving forward.

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

At 9.5 months even the slower growers are not going to see a huge difference in there results. It’s good they are in dialogue with you but i really can’t see it improving too much. It’s usually the crown area which can take up to 18 months for further improvement.

Would you say my results are mature though? I was told that hair transplants consist of both the growing phase followed by maturation. I figure the growth is about done but I'm hoping the maturation will help some

I have sort of an out there question assuming the transplant doesn't provide what I'm looking for. Dependent on the degree of weakness of the final result, do doctors work with patients to get them to a satisfying result? I would not be happy to get a second transplant but if I had to I still think I would stick with this doctor. I'm hoping that if the end result is lacking he would want to work with me to make it right. 

Just now, Hairguy650 said:

Would you say my results are mature though? I was told that hair transplants consist of both the growing phase followed by maturation. I figure the growth is about done but I'm hoping the maturation will help some

No it hasn’t matured looking at the pics. But at 9.5 months all the grafts should have “popped” through the surface. And the remaining time will be on further growth/maturing. It’s difficult to see from the pics if you have any hairs which are yet to grow ? Can you feel any ? 

6 minutes ago, Hairguy650 said:

I have sort of an out there question assuming the transplant doesn't provide what I'm looking for. Dependent on the degree of weakness of the final result, do doctors work with patients to get them to a satisfying result? I would not be happy to get a second transplant but if I had to I still think I would stick with this doctor. I'm hoping that if the end result is lacking he would want to work with me to make it right. 

Yes a decent clinic/Dr will want there patients to have a satisfactory result. And we have seen many cases where they will offer “touch ups” and extra work to ensure this. 
At present this would be a little premature. For now you should keep them updated every month as your doing. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

do you notice any visual difference when not in bathroom lighting? can it pass for acceptable?

Acceptable is subjective and I figure bathroom lighting mirrors closely to how you would look outside on a sunny day. Here are some pictures however in "natural' lighting by sitting post shower next to a window (7.5 months in these photos)

20210203_110635.jpg

Inked20210203_110709_LI.jpg

Inked20210203_110713_LI.jpg

Edited by Hairguy650

34 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

No it hasn’t matured looking at the pics. But at 9.5 months all the grafts should have “popped” through the surface. And the remaining time will be on further growth/maturing. It’s difficult to see from the pics if you have any hairs which are yet to grow ? Can you feel any ? 

I feel like its hard to tell without any sort of magnification. I can see with the naked eye there are some almost translucent hairs but they are minimal. Would i be able to notice a fresh hair that is popped? 

32 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Yes a decent clinic/Dr will want there patients to have a satisfactory result. And we have seen many cases where they will offer “touch ups” and extra work to ensure this. 
At present this would be a little premature. For now you should keep them updated every month as your doing. 

That is really a relief to hear. Obviously a 2nd hair transplant isn't ideal but anything to lower the burden I already have would be amazing

I've had 9 HTs. Every single time I got to the 9.5 month mark I'd start to get a bit panicky. Is this as good as it will get? The answer is, it will improve. You need to stop and think about what you've just had done and what those transplanted hairs are going through. Essentially they're baby hairs and they need to grow and cycle. As they fully mature (between 12-18 months) they will have more of an aesthetic impact. That being said, do not expect it to be perfect or provide the same density you once had. That's not really a possible or wise goal to have because I'm sure, as you know, you have a limited donor supply. The best a surgeon can do is place grafts in such a way that you have good density and pull off the illusion of full hair. If at the end you're still unhappy you can discuss bulking up with another procedure. But a good surgeon will assess your situation overall and help you come up with a gameplay that responsibly manages your donor in the years to come.

• Like 1

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• Administrators

Now that I see the hairline was lowered significantly. I would say it looks on track. A hair transplant is not meant to be perfect. It’s meant to create an illusion of density.

Perhaps the expectations are too high, especially since you’re spreading it apart and going directly under light. Please read this post below, I illustrate why hair transplants are an illusion and not meant to create true density.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

34 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Now that I see the hairline was lowered significantly. I would say it looks on track. A hair transplant is not meant to be perfect. It’s meant to create an illusion of density.

Perhaps the expectations are too high, especially since you’re spreading it apart and going directly under light. Please read this post below, I illustrate why hair transplants are an illusion and not meant to create true density.

Thanks for the reply.  The reason I was concerned is because even when wearing my hair normally it is obvious what areas are transplanted and which are not. At the moment because my right side is so weak I have to "comb over" that area with native hair. I'm not particularly pleased to be doing this as this is exactly what i was doing pre-transplant. Anyways I'm hoping that the coming months will add some density to atleast allow me to wear my hair how i'd like 

17 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Please do keep us updated. Be interesting to see if it progresses to a satisfactory level. I can see the weaker side also. Usually they eventually catch up with each other. Fingers crossed 🤞 

Thanks for the kind words! Am really looking forward to my in-person follow up next month

• Like 1