IARHS Surgeon - Your Best Bet for Achieving Good Results?

So I'll be honest, I never used to pay attention to memberships or societies that a hair restoration surgeon belonged to. But lately I've been researching this topic a little deeper and it appears, at least to me, that there is definitely some merit to these groups. But I've also discovered that not all membership groups are considered equal. The most prestigious group seems to be the IAHRS (International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons). It seems like if you're a surgeon and a member of the IARHS, you're considered one of the best surgeons out there. 

Now I'm sure there will be a lot of disagreement with what I just said. I can imagine that there are a lot of doctors who are not members of the IAHRS that still rank among the best hair restoration surgeons out there. And not every IAHRS surgeon will be perfect for each and every patient. And even the best surgeons make mistakes. But if you set everything else equal, is the probability that you will achieve good results higher with an IARHS surgeon than with a non-IARHS surgeon?

It is not at all a guarantee to go to a surgeon who is part of the IARHS, they do not have to pass any tests for this, surely you would avoid having an operation from a person who claims to be a doctor and instead is not, but not all surgeons who  they are part of that association they are top, on the other hand, there are surgeons who are not enrolled in the IAHRS, but who are very good.  I think the only way to choose a good surgeon is to see as many threads as possible, of real patients posting photos of their transplant, month after month, from the beginning to the end of their journey and not on all Forums, but  only on HRN.

• Like 3

• Administrators

We’ve removed two surgeons within the last year that IAHRS still promote. Their process isn’t open or transparent. 10 years ago we were sued by Alvi Armani, for keeping up a slew of negative reviews. Meanwhile, once the truth was revealed, they continued to promote the surgeon regardless. 

No list is ever definitive, but if you’re gonna put your faith in any list make sure it’s a list of surgeons that are being selected by reviews in an open and transparent manner. That said, lists are starting points for research.

Take a look at our process

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, qui bono said:

Bhatti belongs to IAHRS and was kicked off this forum last year for an incident involving blackmail, and has a long list of victims with bad growth, botched results and crappy donors.

How do you guys work through problems of conflicting sources? So I came across a post where Spex says he is representing Bhatti (2018). But I've also come across a few posts critical of Bhatti's work. I want to state that I'm not trying to badmouth anyone here. I'm just using this as an example of how I sometimes find hair restoration research to be frustrating in the fact that at the end of the day the evidence for each side cancels the other and you're no further ahead.

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Hair038 said:

How do you guys work through problems of conflicting sources? So I came across a post where Spex says he is representing Bhatti (2018). But I've also come across a few posts critical of Bhatti's work. I want to state that I'm not trying to badmouth anyone here. I'm just using this as an example of how I sometimes find hair restoration research to be frustrating in the fact that at the end of the day the evidence for each side cancels the other and you're no further ahead.

Read this 

That will tell you what you need to know. I really don't want to badmouth anyone. But transparency builds trust and credibility. If there is no transparency how do you know you can trust or that the organization is credible. That's all i'm gonna say.

• Like 4

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I don't know the full reason why (bad vibes?) but Spex was always one of the most unlikeable people I've ever come across on an online forum or hair related environment. I think he is the type of person to think he can simultaneously help people through directing people to decent clinics while making a buck doing it (which is partially true and he's probably a net benefit to the industry) but ultimately I don't think he's all that bright, weak ethically and certainly lacking levels of each enough to be a great patient advocator.

Probably also I'm just a little jealous of him making money in a role I feel I could do a significantly better job of. Not to toot his horn too hard but Melvin gives a signficiantly better name to the role of patient advocator than Spex. 

Ultimately, for anyone looking for guidance in the industry your own eyes and interpretation of data needs to be the primary guider of decisions and opinions. 

• Like 3

Spex would promote me as a hair loss surgeon if the money was right. 

JT is lesser of a parasite, however like was previously mentioned, they all still have vested interests because it’s how they make their living at the end of the  day. 

Lets take JT for instance, he details the ‘marking criteria’ he uses to assess clinics he works alongside, however it’s only ever against the clinic‘s own posted or shared results, which as you hopefully know by now, is always just the cream of the crop. One of the most important things you can do as a prospective patient is determine how good a clinic is by looking at their not so good results, and look at what went wrong and how/if it was rectified. Eg. If it was lack of growth however their donor is still in pristine condition, and the angles of transplanted hairs are ok, and there are singles correctly in the hairline etc. - not too much of a red flag compared to somebody with a botched donor, and a sparse pluggy hairline 12 months later. JT also hasn’t actually met some of the surgeons he recommends, which should also be a bit of an indicator as to what’s going on.  

As for the other YouTube hair loss guys;

Dimuzio - another fraud parasite, involved with two shady docs and promotes all kind of whack. 

MattDominance - what he offers isn’t anything you can’t do alone using forums like this one, I’m unsure as to whether he has affiliations with any clinics or surgeons - I assume if you were to pay him whatever finder fee he charges, that’s his cut . . And he will probably just direct you to a clinic based off what he reads on this forum (Hi Matt) 

Hairliciously - had about 5000 grafts to restore NW2 recession. Sneaky subliminal marketing strategy eg. posting click bait videos of impressive derma-rolling results found on Reddit, when coincidentally selling derma pens and more in his online shop. 

Spex is the worst IMO because he promotes himself based on this big tear jerking story of being a young patient ripped off and botched in this industry, yet has became a mercenary shark himself preying on the very same young and naive patients. He probably has the highest profile out of the lot, (especially in the UK) and is frequently used by media outlets who obviously don’t have a clue about the industry, therefore he is in a prime position to pick up these new prospective patients. Having said that, he can’t be doing too well because he created a fake account a few months ago on here and started a thread about himself (see above) lol. His latest pride and joy is ‘the top 25 surgeons in the world’ article that he wrote, which is basically just a pick and mix of names taken from the IAHRS list. Again some great surgeons in there, and some not so good ones. 

Edited by Curious25
  • Haha 1

I think it should always come back to patient-posted results as well as the doctors whose names keep popping up in threads (in a positive way).

Seeing Muresanu being one of 4 names listed as "elite" surgeons by a poster in this thread reassures me that I am making a good choice to go with Hattingen next year. Of course, every list by every knowledgeable poster doesn't include EVERY great doctor....but if you research long enough you will know who is considered top notch.

Regarding Spex.... I am one of the "vulnerable young patients" he helped and I am very grateful to him. He answered 40/50 emails promptly over the course of a few months and offered so much great advice, he deserved whatever cut he got from Feller. However - the reason why I was so comfortable to be led along that path was because Feller's name was in every 5 top list at the time and he had so many patient results on here. 

Patient results and word of mouth is the key in my opinion.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

On 4/2/2021 at 8:03 AM, Curious25 said:

Spex would promote me as a hair loss surgeon if the money was right. 

JT is lesser of a parasite, however like was previously mentioned, they all still have vested interests because it’s how they make their living at the end of the  day. 

Lets take JT for instance, he details the ‘marking criteria’ he uses to assess clinics he works alongside, however it’s only ever against the clinic‘s own posted or shared results, which as you hopefully know by now, is always just the cream of the crop. One of the most important things you can do as a prospective patient is determine how good a clinic is by looking at their not so good results, and look at what went wrong and how/if it was rectified. Eg. If it was lack of growth however their donor is still in pristine condition, and the angles of transplanted hairs are ok, and there are singles correctly in the hairline etc. - not too much of a red flag compared to somebody with a botched donor, and a sparse pluggy hairline 12 months later. JT also hasn’t actually met some of the surgeons he recommends, which should also be a bit of an indicator as to what’s going on.  

As for the other YouTube hair loss guys;

Dimuzio - another fraud parasite, involved with two shady docs and promotes all kind of whack. 

MattDominance - what he offers isn’t anything you can’t do alone using forums like this one, I’m unsure as to whether he has affiliations with any clinics or surgeons - I assume if you were to pay him whatever finder fee he charges, that’s his cut . . And he will probably just direct you to a clinic based off what he reads on this forum (Hi Matt) 

Hairliciously - had about 5000 grafts to restore NW2 recession. Sneaky subliminal marketing strategy eg. posting click bait videos of impressive derma-rolling results found on Reddit, when coincidentally selling derma pens and more in his online shop. 

Spex is the worst IMO because he promotes himself based on this big tear jerking story of being a young patient ripped off and botched in this industry, yet has became a mercenary shark himself preying on the very same young and naive patients. He probably has the highest profile out of the lot, (especially in the UK) and is frequently used by media outlets who obviously don’t have a clue about the industry, therefore he is in a prime position to pick up these new prospective patients. Having said that, he can’t be doing too well because he created a fake account a few months ago on here and started a thread about himself (see above) lol. His latest pride and joy is ‘the top 25 surgeons in the world’ article that he wrote, which is basically just a pick and mix of names taken from the IAHRS list. Again some great surgeons in there, and some not so good ones. 

Bro what are your thoughts on the work of eugenix in Particual arika bansal? 
Also the work of ozlem bicer?

1 hour ago, Ronaldo18 said:

Bro what are your thoughts on the work of eugenix in Particual arika bansal? 
Also the work of ozlem bicer?

I’ve been impressed with Eugenix for the last year or so since they have made more of a presence online and in particular on this forum. 

Bicer looks promising, however I haven’t seen enough to pass judgement. 

• Like 1