Strange fall of transplanted hair 4 years after HT

Hi

I have a peculiar question that I haven't found the response  for anywhere else

I have a lot of  thick hair(33y) but had a norwood 2.5 hairline so I've been on finasteride for 10 years and had  a HT  to close the hairline a bit  over four years ago for around 1300 grafts in Europe. 

Everything went excellent , until july 2020 the problem is that since then I had a sudden hair fall of  ONLY transplanted hairs out of the blue within a few days on the following occasions:

1- On July  2020 of one section of the  right corner hairline hair fell(thinned)
2-On August some transplanted hairs of the left center  hairline fell
3-On September the middle of the right hairline thinned
4-On december the left corner of the hairline fell completely
5-Early March 2021 within a few days areas of the entire right side of the hairline (which looked perfectly full and recovered already)thinned out overall 

The hair grows back without an issue, in all areas, I am wondering what the cause is, I have a lot of grey hair and some transplanted hairs grow back grey too.

I was specific to mention the areas of hair fall, because it seems that different sections fell at different times and regrew , but not one exact section went through the sudden loss of hair twice so far

Could be wishful thinking but I thought  that perhaps the reason of this is that  hair cycle of all the transplanted hairs  is reset to a similar timing once they are transplanted, and now 4 years or so later of anagen phase, they all go into the telogen, exogen phase within a very close time window of each other and hence what I am experiencing

Does that make sense?

I'd appreciate to hear what you experts think

Thank You

43 minutes ago, Tom Rch said:

Hi

I have a peculiar question that I haven't found the response  for anywhere else

I have a lot of  thick hair(33y) but had a norwood 2.5 hairline so I've been on finasteride for 10 years and had  a HT  to close the hairline a bit  over four years ago for around 1300 grafts in Europe. 

Everything went excellent , until july 2020 the problem is that since then I had a sudden hair fall of  ONLY transplanted hairs out of the blue within a few days on the following occasions:

1- On July  2020 of one section of the  right corner hairline hair fell(thinned)
2-On August some transplanted hairs of the left center  hairline fell
3-On September the middle of the right hairline thinned
4-On december the left corner of the hairline fell completely
5-Early March 2021 within a few days areas of the entire right side of the hairline (which looked perfectly full and recovered already)thinned out overall 

The hair grows back without an issue, in all areas, I am wondering what the cause is, I have a lot of grey hair and some transplanted hairs grow back grey too.

I was specific to mention the areas of hair fall, because it seems that different sections fell at different times and regrew , but not one exact section went through the sudden loss of hair twice so far

Could be wishful thinking but I thought  that perhaps the reason of this is that  hair cycle of all the transplanted hairs  is reset to a similar timing once they are transplanted, and now 4 years or so later of anagen phase, they all go into the telogen, exogen phase within a very close time window of each other and hence what I am experiencing

Does that make sense?

I'd appreciate to hear what you experts think

Thank You

Yes this was brought up yesterday by another person. Look up Anagen synchronization, your hairs are all likely shedding as they’ve entered the telegen phase together. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is EXACTLY what I am going through and it scared the hell out of me. Im surprised it hasn't been mentioned as much (that you'll effectively go through an ugly duckling phase every 4 years (give or take). I am hoping it will thicken up but my Dr told me it'll take a few more month. Nervous time for me. If it does Ill have to have surgery again (which I don't want)

Do you have any pics?

Interesting how we have some recurring themes that run towards the conclusion of hair restoration futility. How many actual accounts per user are making the posts is anybody's guess.

From the terrified-ing anti-finasteride crowd, saw someone bumping a months-old thread yesterday where a guy was thinking fin was causing insomnia to suggest they try buying a new blanket. 

The ones where the hairs permanently fall out after a few years without evidence have dried out recently.

Wondering if hairs being permanently out of sync is going to be the new bugaboo.

I put up a post last week on this page, You’ll easily find it. I posted some pics on there. How about you? Do you have any pics and when did you notice this “shedding”? Is it improving? I’ve been told to wait 3-4 months before any signs of improvement 

14 hours ago, Navthedon said:

I put up a post last week on this page, You’ll easily find it. I posted some pics on there. How about you? Do you have any pics and when did you notice this “shedding”? Is it improving? I’ve been told to wait 3-4 months before any signs of improvement 

Doesn't look like we're going to get a reply from the guy that started the thread. He joined the same day he created this topic and hasn't been back since. And it was two days AFTER you started your topic with pictures, so you were probably his 'inspiration.'

My antenna goes up when I see suspicious stuff like this. Probably a troll or somebody bitter from a bad transplant trying to spread their misery by encouraging paranoia.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remember a post from Spex about "seasonal shedding" but haven't heard too much about it in recent times... sometimes my hair does go through periods where it looks thin but it always thickens back up. 

This thread seems to be talking about something much more severe that I haven't encountered in the 9 years since my HT. Apparently my new hairline fell out twice and grew back without me knowing...? 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Ciaus you  have a sense of humor 

It seems to be growing back but it is very worrisome , I hope it is the anagen synchronization Torontoman mentioned and that in my case a bunch of hairs together went through it at the same time therefore having a dramatic effect.

I do remember researching last year about Spex comments on seasonal shedding but seeing the irregularity as it happened in different months and only affecting the HT area  but looks like it is unlikely the case

6 hours ago, Tom Rch said:

Ciaus you  have a sense of humor 

I'm being serious here. Guys coming to this forum for help with their hairloss are often stressed, and more vulnerable to nonsense suggestions and crackpot theories. Every person reading this topic, and other topics like it, should be very skeptical when no evidence like a picture history is provided. 

• Like 1

Sure I see your point it is still funny

Some of us may want to protect our privacy for certain reasons and don't post pictures.

No one is trying to scare people away, perhaps you quickly perceive it that way.

I had the HT 4 years ago and it worked great, I do recommend it, the only issue is the transplanted hair fell over over the last several months. 

It is regrowing fully though , let's see if it is what Torontoman mentioned

1 hour ago, Tom Rch said:

Sure I see your point it is still funny

Your replies are painting enough of a picture. I'll keep repeating:

Every person reading this topic, and other topics like it, should be very skeptical when no evidence like a picture history is provided. 

• Like 1

Don't be touchy is not about you my friend

Navthedon seems to be going through as well just like possibly others that don't post. Your logic of anyone with privacy concerns and who doesn't spend that much time in here should be ignored and not taken seriously is very obtuse,  irrational and emotional

Any one with knowledge regading anagen sychronization would really be of help

Edited by Tom Rch

38 minutes ago, Tom Rch said:

Don't be touchy is not about you my friend

Navthedon seems to be going through as well just like possibly others that don't post. Your logic of anyone with privacy concerns and who doesn't spend that much time in here should be ignored and not taken seriously is very obtuse,  irrational and emotional

Any one with knowledge regading anagen sychronization would really be of help

Don’t mind ciaus, he gets touchy any time someone posts ambivalent information or their worries about HTs, then tries to dispel their posts by claiming they’re on shill accounts. It makes little sense; in fact, there is more incentive (a multi-billion dollar industry) for people to post positive HT stories on here than negative. However, as I see it, the more information—good or bad—the more transparent and helpful to the community. After all, this is a relatively historically novel procedure, and people’s bodies will, especially over time, react differently to it.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:04 PM, ciaus said:

Your replies are painting enough of a picture. I'll keep repeating:

Every person reading this topic, and other topics like it, should be very skeptical when no evidence like a picture history is provided. 

Exactly, with so many hundreds of thousands of HT, where are all the picture of this 3-4 year shedding and (more importantly) the picture of the regrowth (back to full density as regularly discussed). I’ve been trawling this site and the internet and cannot find anything. That’s strange ?!

On 3/28/2021 at 10:48 PM, WildBlueberry said:

Do you have pictures showing the full areas then another after the thinning? You must have a very good eye to catch this. Or maybe it’s drastic enough? I’m very curious to see

you can see the from pic has become very "see through" - not sure but I think there are small hairs coming back? 

IMG_3651.jpg