Re-starting medication after HT/shedding

I stopped using eucapil a month before my HT in December and topical min 2 weeks before, and restarted a month later. Now, nearly 2 months on, I seem to be shedding quite a bit. Have others experienced this after a relatively short break/some time after restarting?

I have seen this type of reaction to stopping and restarting before. In some cases when the shedding stopped the hair regrew and in a few cases it did not.  I generally only have patients stop Minoxidil 3-4 days before the procedure and restart one week after. I do not tell patients to stop taking Finasteride.

• Like 2

Never heard of "Eucapil," looked online a little and sounds like a waste of money. Their website looks suspicious, especially the 'how it works' hair loss tab. Save yourself some money, this looks like an overpriced formulation that probably sneaks in some minoxidil so that the people taking it will see enough results to keep buying it.

Your time between stopping and restarting the minoxidil was un-necessarily too long, that's the most likely reason you are shedding. Drop the eucapil and look into getting on finasteride, its the only other approved studied drug than minoxidil that is proven to help with hairloss.

And this link here is from a US doctor's reply from someone asking about Eucapil in... 2006! That's 15 years ago and according to the company website making it today its still only offered as a "cosmetic" in some eastern European countries, no approval in any country to medically treat hair loss. 

https://baldingblog.com/eucapil/

Eucapil is stated to be a cosmetic and is available only in the Czech and Slovak countries. By stating that is a cosmetic, that means that no medical claim will have any value whatsoever. Products like these may do good things for the appearance of hair, but there is no suggestion or proof that it will grow hair or reverse hair loss. It is well known that herbal and natural supplements have wide variability in their manufactured ingredients and the owners of these product seem to push claims that may not be valid far too often. As I have stated many times on this site, it is a buyer beware market. That is my medical opinion. There are medical solutions available, which are finasteride 1mg (Propecia) taken orally, minoxidil (Rogaine) applied topically, or a hair transplant procedure — all of which require a medical examination by a qualified doctor.

Edited by ciaus
  • Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

I have seen this type of reaction to stopping and restarting before. In some cases when the shedding stopped the hair regrew and in a few cases it did not.  I generally only have patients stop Minoxidil 3-4 days before the procedure and restart one week after. I do not tell patients to stop taking Finasteride.

Yea I don’t see why you’d be told to stop taking finasteride 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yea I don’t see why you’d be told to stop taking finasteride 

@Dr. Glenn Charles mentioned he doesn't tell his patients to stop finasteride, but the original poster @rj. doesn't mention finasteride. He only has three posts, seeing in one his older ones just now where he says he refuses to take finasteride.  So to the OP disregard my previous recommendation about the finasteride, but you'd be smart to regard my recommendation on that Eucapil nonsense.

I do think Eucapil assisted in stabilising hair loss and as a mild DHT blocker, that should be the case. I appreciate it has not been widely tested, but for the relatively low cost and benefits that seemed to occur, in lieu or fin, dut, etc, it seems a no brainer for now.

The time I stopped on minoxidil was advised by the surgeon and I do agree. I think it does dry the scalp, which you want in as good a state as possible for the HT. Obviously Dr Charles knows far more on this matter than I do, though.

Edited by rj.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@ciaus, Eucapil is one of the strongest topical antiandrogens out there. Been around for many years, very well known on treatment based forums. It is definitely not a 'cosmetic' product as Rassman claims, I mean the active compound is a drug used to treat prostate cancer. 

Edited by UnbaldEagle

1 hour ago, UnbaldEagle said:

@ciaus, Eucapil is one of the strongest topical antiandrogens out there. Been around for many years, very well known on treatment based forums. It is definitely not a 'cosmetic' product as Rassman claims, I mean the active compound is a drug used to treat prostate cancer. 

Its been around for almost 20 years and only marketed in the Czech Repub and Slovakia. No offense to Czechs and Slovakians, but that does not give me a warm and fuzzy. You would at least expect a wider marketing campaign if it really worked so well. Maybe if I actually had prostate cancer and nothing else had worked I'd roll the dice on it.

image.thumb.png.878d6bc41ef9249001cbb90e1b94661c.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topilutamide

The shedding can occur with starting and stopping either medication...it's the long period of delay between stopping and re-starting that can induce a large amount of hair follicles into the resting phase.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY