Total Graft Availability of FUT + FUE, versus FUE alone

On 2/13/2021 at 4:06 PM, RandoBrando517 said:

From what I understood in the interview combining both gets you 3,000 grafts more on average. Am I missing something? Seems like you guys are talking strictly one or the other.

I did hear that in the Shapiro interview that they said that you might be able to get 3,000 more grafts by combining. Sounds like a lot more in their opinion!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SLA said:

I did hear that in the Shapiro interview that they said that you might be able to get 3,000 more grafts by combining. Sounds like a lot more in their opinion!

I’m still scared of the scar. Is it really worth it? They said it’s not for most people. 

To me, if true,  3,000 grafts to me would be worth it. Other surgeons do not agree with the FUT/FUE combo yielding more grafts and they cite a ton of reasons (which may or may not be plausible)....but I divert. Would love to see a critical debate around Shapiro's lifetime graft availability study.

I think it is good to think long term as we have limited donor resources and hair loss is progressive. Even at 47 with a virgin scalp, I could take the attitude that I am pushing 50 so an extra few grafts down the road will not matter much to me, however, I don't know how I will feel at age 70. Will I be satisfied with the results I got and not care so much about my hair or will I wish I had a few more grafts left in my donor to do another transplant? I am not sure of the answer, but it would be nice to know there are options due to decisions made now.

2 minutes ago, SLA said:

To me, if true,  3,000 grafts to me would be worth it. Other surgeons do not agree with the FUT/FUE combo yielding more grafts and they cite a ton of reasons (which may or may not be plausible)....but I divert. Would love to see a critical debate around Shapiro's lifetime graft availability study.

Really? Who are the surgeons and what reasons do they cite that disagrees with the notion that FUT/FUE combo doesn't maximize lifetime graft availability?

2 minutes ago, kramer79 said:

Really? Who are the surgeons and what reasons do they cite that disagrees with the notion that FUT/FUE combo doesn't maximize lifetime graft availability?

Dr. Bansal (Eugenix), Dr. John P. Cole- See article I posted in the FUE forum titled "The Case for FUE".

16 minutes ago, RandoBrando517 said:

I’m still scared of the scar. Is it really worth it? They said it’s not for most people. 

It depends on a variety of factors. Genetic predisposition to hair loss and to what degree? Use of medication long-term and ultimately expectations.

After consulting with many of the doctors that everyone around here considers elite they always asked "Are you ok with having no crown coverage or a lightly covered crown at best?" Basically if you read between the lines, are you ok with having less hair available to move as your hair loss progresses or is having access to more coverage and density more important, but you must be ready to live with the scar?

I think it's fair to be scared of the "what ifs" of having a scar but i guess it's probably wiser to focus more on the fact you are doing all of this to have more hair and you should probably reduce the probability of complications by going to a top doctor.

7 hours ago, kramer79 said:

It depends on a variety of factors. Genetic predisposition to hair loss and to what degree? Use of medication long-term and ultimately expectations.

After consulting with many of the doctors that everyone around here considers elite they always asked "Are you ok with having no crown coverage or a lightly covered crown at best?" Basically if you read between the lines, are you ok with having less hair available to move as your hair loss progresses or is having access to more coverage and density more important, but you must be ready to live with the scar?

I think it's fair to be scared of the "what ifs" of having a scar but i guess it's probably wiser to focus more on the fact you are doing all of this to have more hair and you should probably reduce the probability of complications by going to a top doctor.

How can we know how bald well end up? 

Well, again, the aesthetics of the scar is only one thing. The main concerns are:

Will it stretch over time, thus further compromising potential future donor grafts.

Will there be numbness / sensitivity due to the greater invasiveness of the procedure.

4 hours ago, RandoBrando517 said:

How can we know how bald well end up? 

I guess you don't know for sure but perhaps you have an idea based on your family history and who you seem to be following as far as your hair loss progression.

If your gut tells you that you are heading towards NW6+ then you probably should consider FUT.

Honestly this is a personal choice, however knowing the facts gives you more power in making your decision.

If I get FUE and end up with a depleted donor, is FUE as a method to blame? If I get FUT and I end up with a scar stretching, is FUT as a method to blame ?

I think the only power we have when getting cosmetic surgery is minimizing the risk of complications by going to the top doctors of this particular field who will take in to account out unique situation and not give us a blanket approach on what method we should use.

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

Well, again, the aesthetics of the scar is only one thing. The main concerns are:

Will it stretch over time, thus further compromising potential future donor grafts.

Will there be numbness / sensitivity due to the greater invasiveness of the procedure.

Scar stretching is a valid concern, but the chances of the scar stretching is low at 3,000 grafts and below. According to Dr. Shapiro. Numbness is another valid concern. I think both of these issues can happen, but rare with a good surgeon.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.