23-year-old male. Should I try Finasteride + Minoxidil or is it too late for this?

Hi, I'm a 23-year-old male and have been losing hair since I was 19 years old. Should I try Finasteride + minoxidil or is it over now? I still have some small hairs left. Anyone was in a similar situation (relatively young age, severe hair loss) and was able to regrow some of their hair back by taking finasteride + Min? Thanks!

PXL_20201229_171819373.jpg

PXL_20201229_044548831.jpg

That's some pretty advanced balding for your age.  Still, I think Fin would be worth a shot.  I wouldn't start with the fin/min combo because you won't know which one is working.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hi John,

Your hair loss is advanced for your age, which doesn't mean that all hope is lost, but it means you have to look very carefully at the reality of your situation.

From the photos, I'd guess you'd be classified as advanced NW5, possibly NW6. 

People can and do get some results in your shoes if they pursue the Finasteride/Minoxidil + hair transplant route, but it would be at great expense requiring multiple surgeries in your case and even then you may not get a result that you're really satisfied with.

If Melvin reads this (forum moderator), he is a voice you should listen to, particularly having had advanced hair loss himself at a young age.

My advice would be:

1. Speak with at least 3-4 recommended & reputable doctors, such as those recommended on here (i.e. Dr Bisanga). Get their informed & qualified views on your situation.

2. Know that alternatives outside of Fin/Minox/Surgery do exist (SMP / Systems).

3. Have a beer and have great New Year.

Maz

this is really severe balding, regardless of age, but especially for 23. If you go the hair transplant route I imagine you'd need 2 homerun transplants minimum, and even then there's a solid chance you wouldn't get the appearance of a "normal" hairline or density of someone in their 20s. 

I doubt Rogaine or Fin will help you regrow, but it is possible. There are many young people on r/tressless on Reddit who do have regrowth from many alternative treatments, including microneedling. However, regrowth from anything other than a hair transplant is the exception, not the rule. But still worth a shot heading over there and some other people can assist. 

If you aren't opposed to a hair system, I would perhaps just accept the hairloss for now and wear a hair system until you at least reach your late 20's, then you can re-assess the hair transplant route. 

Edited by DenverBuff1989

You might be able to grow a bit with Minoxidil, and sometimes with Fin. But that is really advanced. A hair transplant might be able give you some improvements, but it'll take numerous procedures and you'll have have a pretty significant donor density. Honestly that doesn't seem ideal. Maybe to improve things a bit you could get SMP done, make it appear as though you have a buzz cut. Or you could always wear a hair system, they seem pretty good nowadays! 

Yes, you should be on finasteride/minoxidil and should have been on it long ago. If you're getting side effects from oral finasteride, use the topical solution. I use Morr F which is a topical combo of finasteride and minoxidil and there are multiple studies proving its efficacy (see my prior posts). For you, I would try oral finasteride and topical minoxidil. If you're getting side effects from oral finasteride, switch to topical finasteride. 

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. All the best

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Because you are so young, I'm going to kindly suggest you keep your head shaved, workout and perhaps grow a beard. It's a good look and I imagine you've already grown used to having a shaved head. I do not suggest a hair system, whatsoever, at your age (you're much more active then, say, a 40 something, for example). Those things require way too much maintenance.

And to answer your question, I'd take fin/minox for a spin to see if you are a really good responder. But if after 12 months the results are negligible, then I would cease usage. If you do get a HT, then be prepared to take that for life. The microneddling stuff is a waste of time, imo. It's ok if anyone disagrees with that. Good luck.

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

i’ve seen more than enough miracles including myself that have had great responses with finasteride. it’s worth a shot. but like someone said before i’d after 12 months it’s negligible then stop. how is your donor grown out? how far does it dip? these are all questions whether you could move forward with a hair transplant 

19 hours ago, champybaby said:

Because you are so young, I'm going to kindly suggest you keep your head shaved, workout and perhaps grow a beard. It's a good look and I imagine you've already grown used to having a shaved head. I do not suggest a hair system, whatsoever, at your age (you're much more active then, say, a 40 something, for example). Those things require way too much maintenance.

The quintessential bald fashion tips. I don't directly disagree with the advice, but I will say not every guy wants to look like a bouncer or MMA fighter. It can be a very aggressive and intimidating look. Many guys have a personality that does not fit the tough guy image. 

I do agree that being fat and bald makes one look like a fat baby, but being in tip-top shape is easier said than done. 

I see nothing wrong with a severely balding 23 yr old such as OP wearing a hair system. Unfortunately, being that young, most of his peers will associate him as "the bald guy". If the only concern is if a 23 yr old has the discipline to deal with hair system maintenance, he should at least try it out. 

Edited by DenverBuff1989