Diffuse thinners

37 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

I didn't say that. Why would it have a negative impact on body hair?

Not sure tbh. 

just heard people say different things about it. Since finasteride blocks DHT, I thought it had a negative effect on body hairs

I'm actually also curious about this. I've heard conflicting opinions. Some say that a DHT blocker thins body hair but others have said it's only in higher dosages and not the 1mg of Finasteride.

Does anyone know?

On 12/24/2020 at 4:48 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

You’re absolutely right in your thinking, I too was fooled by my hairline. For the longest time I would say I was a Norwood 2, but the reality was a diffuse Norwood 6. 18D4EA47-5701-4877-9F78-4A52D335861A.jpeg

Now, are we a lost cause? No, but you either have to be committed to medicine, or lose most of your hair before you consider having surgery.

I would easily prefer be a NW6 diffuse thinner with a NW1 hairline like you were than to be a slick bald NW6 obviously.

Meds seems to work much better in diffuse thinners in comparison to totally bald scalps. (btw have you tried meds Melvin?)

Also, you would still good ok from the front because you still have a hairline and most people will never look at your scalp from the above angle, so most of your hair loss would be unnoticed. 

And if the person decides to go for an HT, the hair left on top, if at least main tended, will help to make the end result look more dense. 

I think the only bad scenario for a diffuse thinners are if they are thinning all over the scalp - even in the "safe zone" areas. In those cases you are not eligible for a HT and if the meds don't work you are royally screwed. 

Edited by JohnBob

• Moderators

hey happy,

thanks for all of the help. would it be possible to upload some photos of your hair so that we could see how well the body hairs worked for you. I am also looking forward to working with them. thanks so much

I don't have anything recent in my profile. I may decide to post some updated pictures now that I have another surgery coming up. I've been reluctant to post photos because the changes aren't easily seen in pictures. I've had grafts placed all over a NW7 area that had light coverage before from earlier transplants, so I mostly have an overall thickening with the body hair rather than any specific area with a major change that shows up well in photos.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

16 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I don't have anything recent in my profile. I may decide to post some updated pictures now that I have another surgery coming up. I've been reluctant to post photos because the changes aren't easily seen in pictures. I've had grafts placed all over a NW7 area that had light coverage before from earlier transplants, so I mostly have an overall thickening with the body hair rather than any specific area with a major change that shows up well in photos.

It would still be great to see your progress, whenever you feel comfortable sharing. :) 

And thank you so much for your valuable input regarding body hair and your own experiences as a NW7. 

I cannot possibly imagine how hard it must have been for you after those botches surgeries. :(