Combining Dutasteride twice week with Finasteride

deitel130

I'm on 1 mg Finasteride daily and feel it may be losing some efficacy. I'm really considering trying 0.5 mg Dutasteride twice A week in combination with Finasteride. Looking for experience from others.

Has anyone tried something similar?

What is the long term safety of Dutasteride? Just recently read an increase in Prostate cancer risk with both Finasteride and Dutasteride. How accurate is this?

Edited by deitel130

25 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

I'm on 1 mg Finasteride daily and feel it may be losing some efficacy. I'm really considering trying 0.5 mg Dutasteride twice A week in combination with Finasteride. Looking for experience from others.

Has anyone tried something similar?

What is the long term safety of Dutasteride? Just recently read an increase in Prostate cancer risk with both Finasteride and Dutasteride. How accurate is this?

I'm taking 1 mg fin every day and 0.5 mg dut every week. There's a study that combined they seemed to be working better. 

Long term safety, well, I guess it's riskier than taking finasteride alone. My understanding is that these drugs don't increase the probability of developing prostate cancer, however since they shrink the prostate you won't really know if you have it. Which is not a good thing as you'll miss the chance of early treatment. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UnbaldEagle said:

I'm taking 1 mg fin every day and 0.5 mg dut every week. There's a study that combined they seemed to be working better. 

Long term safety, well, I guess it's riskier than taking finasteride alone. My understanding is that these drugs don't increase the probability of developing prostate cancer, however since they shrink the prostate you won't really know if you have it. Which is not a good thing as you'll miss the chance of early treatment. 

Were you always on this combination or added the Dutasteride? If added later how has adding Dutasteride helped?

Did you request your doctor to add the Dutasteride or got online?

The most efficient thing seems to be just replacing Fin with Dut. FWIW I had zero side effects with Fin, and essentially have zero side effects with Dut (I'd say once every 2 weeks I get a minor stomach ache when taking Dut, not sure why but it doesn't bother me that much)

I just read up on the prostate cancer thing and that does seem scary. This thread goes into it more. It seems this really only effects a minority of people taking it. And if you do need a prostate exam, just make it abundantly clear to the Doc that you are taking Dutasteride, and it shouldnt be a problem

. But yea, Dutasteride is infinitely stronger than Fin in terms of hairloss prevention, so if you hop on the Dut train, continuing Fin at the same time would be pointless IMO. 

29 minutes ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

The most efficient thing seems to be just replacing Fin with Dut. FWIW I had zero side effects with Fin, and essentially have zero side effects with Dut (I'd say once every 2 weeks I get a minor stomach ache when taking Dut, not sure why but it doesn't bother me that much)

I just read up on the prostate cancer thing and that does seem scary. This thread goes into it more. It seems this really only effects a minority of people taking it. And if you do need a prostate exam, just make it abundantly clear to the Doc that you are taking Dutasteride, and it shouldnt be a problem

. But yea, Dutasteride is infinitely stronger than Fin in terms of hairloss prevention, so if you hop on the Dut train, continuing Fin at the same time would be pointless IMO. 

How long were you on Finasteride? What made you switch and have you seen any difference since the switch? 

I was on Finasteride daily for roughly 1.5 years. I replaced that with Dut daily roughly 2 years ago. 

I actually haven't noticed any hair loss progression since I started taking Fin. But I want the best prevention possible, and since Dut is stronger I didn't see a reason to not make the switch. As I said above, the only difference I've seen is a minor stomach ache I get every so often when taking Dut, but that doesn't really bother me. 

Dut is not FDA approved for hairloss for some weird reason (its approved for hairloss in Japan and Korea tho). So if you are going to try to get it, I would specifically go to a hair transplant doc or an online pharmacy. Your average primary physician may only prescribe Fin, and may only be knowledgeable of Dut's benefit to the prostate, and not for hairloss. 

Edited by DenverBuff1989
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2022 at 11:28 AM, Verolomno said:

I also use ED and Avodart just as my doctor prescribed me, and it’s going more or less good now.
I’ve got a b16-f10 type of cancer and hope to get into remission soon, but it’s only hope, and I cannot know for sure what will happen. This cancer makes me nervous because I don’t want to die yet; I’m too young. But eventually, I will have to accept my fate, I think. It’s just a matter of time.
I still hope to be given some more years, but I don’t want to have too high expectations for this life. The medications are working fine; it is all I can say about my current state. 

🙏🙏